Super Nintendo Super FX Boxing game by ElectroBrain

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Yakumo, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Does anyone have anything at all on this forgotten title? I remember reading about it years ago in Super Play and even saw a preview video at the ETCS show in London. After that ElectroBrain vanished and so did all of their releases.

Yakumo

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  2. mdmx

mdmx Familiar Face

I only remember FX Fighter. But this is not the game that are you looking for, isn't it?

3. Yakumo

No. It was around the same time. I remember being very surprised as well thinking how a crap company like ElectroBrain afford a FX chip based game.

Yakumo

4. Juste

Juste Fiery Member

I looked in the Super Play magazines but I could not find it, I only found a fighting game called Fighting Polygon but it said it was by Argonaut/Nintendo. I could only find a game called Dirt Trax FX by Electro Brain, the article said they overseen the Vortex game too.

A different article for the Dirt Racer SFX game has got a list for other Super FX games, I'll just type it in from the magazine.

Powerslide
    Elite's previously announced rally sim, now shelved. Not to be confused with Dirt Racer SFX.
    Stunt Race FX
    Nintendo's cute 'n' colourful racing game, released last summer. Tracks and options aplenty but the two-player mode's not quite up to scratch.
    Dirt Trax FX
    Motocross bike racing game from Electro Brain, due out this year. Races take place in a massive arena, and a 'tag' game option is included. Also not to be confused with Dirt Racer SFX.
    Star Fox
    1993's superb but linear 3D shoot-em-up that plays like some crazy buddy movie with animals in space and a soundtrack to match. An Argonaut/Nintendo joint venture.
    Star Fox 2
    The new adventures of Fox McCloud. See this issue's CES news.
    Vortex
    Exploration, shooting and puzzles in a transforming mobile suit from Argonaut. Released by Sony last autumn.
    Transformers
    More stomping about in a big suit was anticipated, but Electro Brain have shelved this little project too.
    FX Fighter
    Argonaut's answer to Virtua Fighter, due in '95 for release by Nintendo.

It is all I could find but I will have another look tomorrow, sorry I could not help a bit more, I guess the boxing game must be of a later date.

5. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

wishful thinking if they wanted to to compare FX fighter to VF2. I ve played FX fighter back in the day on the PC and I was quite good at it too, but it was no where near the depth of VF2. FX fighter was a button smasher of a fighter, with much less strategy and technic than VF2.

That said, VF2 on mega drive wasn't my cup of tea obviously, I m openly referring to the "real" VF2 games, including PC version.

6. ccovell

ccovell Resolute Member

Electro Brain (co-)published Vortex in Japan.

7. Sienar

Sienar Robust Member

Electrobrain did produce a boxing game for the megadrive and snes in '93 called Boxing Legends of the Ring.

Maybe there were plans for a superfx follow up, or at some point they intended to have the SuperFx in BLotR but later changed their plans.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  8. Yakumo

The Dirt Racer FX game was by Elite but published by Electro Brain. The other FX racing game by Elite called Power Slide was really shit ! I played that at the ETCS in 1993 or was it 1994 ?

Hmm, looks like the FX chip boxing game was never put in to production. As I said, even at the show the only stuff on it was running from video.

Thanks for the info though, Juste.

Yakumo

9. d4s

d4s Robust Member

perhaps im not remembering this correctly, but from what i know, the game is called just dirt racer, without the fx.
    i think it wasnt released outside europe and was programmed by a bunch of guys from the uk and published by elite here.
    never heard about electro brain having something to do with it.
    same goes for dirt trax fx.
    developed by sculptured software and published by acclaim in usa and europe.

power slide was never released, but a fairly respected guy over at dp had a protocart of this game for sale a year ago or so.
    dont remember the details apart from it being far too rich for my blood. :(

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  10. DreamTR

DreamTR Enthusiastic Member

I have the Power Slide FX game from ECTS...

11. Yakumo

you are lucky then because I know a guy who tried to nick it :lol: He never managed it though. Boy, was that some shady time.

Yakumo

12. Barc0de

Sorry for asking, but is there a dump of the game?

13. DreamTR

Yakumo: From the show?

Barcode: Not that I know of.

14. Yakumo

Yep, we were at the ETCS where Elite had it on display in a SNES without any locks or anything !! There is was, a bare circuit board stuck in a SNES. The guy IO was with tried a few times to steel it but I guess he lost his nerve or just couldn’t find a good opportunity. I'm pretty sure it was the 1994 or 1995 ETCS. The booth was pretty small as well. The only other title I remember being shown was that other over head racer they released called Power Drive I think.

Yakumo

15. d4s

d4s Robust Member

i know youre probably not going to release a dump of it, but is there a slight chance you could make some screenshots available?
    i was never able to find out anything at all about this game.

16. Barc0de

I shall repeat myself once more! Dumping isnt a crime since the original still holds true value as an original - besides, being one of the few to have played a game isn't much of a story to tell compared to being the one who gave fire to the world;)

17. DreamTR

Barcode: No one said it is a crime, but it drops the overall value of the game significantly to a collector.

18. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

I have to agree with DreamTR here.

Once a game is dumped, the number of folks interested in buying a proto copy drops like a rock on Jupiter.

-hl718

19. Thiago_Simoes

Thiago_Simoes Spirited Member

Hmmm, just a small note... Doom and Yoshi's Island also featured the Super FX chip.

Besides, FX Fighter was indeed almost completed, as far as I know. I have seen some screenshots of the game and they looked really bad... that's why it was not released, I think.

20. XerdoPwerko

XerdoPwerko Galaxy Angel Fanatic Extreme - Mediocre collector.

Fx Fighter was indeed almost "ready for release". Club Nintendo (the mexican magazine) even had a commemorative poster in 93 or 94. I might still have it, who knows.