Super NES Black Screen Issue

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by drwright, Jul 9, 2014.

1. drwright

drwright Newly Registered

I found an old Super NES at my grandparent's house which they had to replace years and years ago because it stopped working. Judging by it's appearance on the outside, it's in good condition; it hasn't yellowed a bit, no nicks, etc. When I turn it on, the power light comes on, but it just shows a black screen. I'm using an official power cable and video cable (from the GameCube) that work perfectly with the other SNES. I've tried playing multiple games on it, all of which work fine on the other system, to no avail. I've cleaned all the games and the cartridge slot as best I can. When I power it on with no game cartridge, there is no video output at all. The reset button seems to work fine from what I can tell, so I doubt it's faulty.
    The only game that shows any glimpse of hope is SimCity, because when I turn it on it flashes a few red artifacts (reminiscent of the NES haha) for a second. From similar threads I've read, I'd guess it's most likely a faulty capacitor? Sorry I'm not too knowledgeable about these things, this just seems like a good forum to get help. I'd really like to get this working and I'm willing to try my hand at soldering (or at least get a friend to help ;).
    Thanks guys!!

Edit: Forgot to mention, there is no sound either.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  2. bart_simpson

bart_simpson Dauntless Member

wram chip dead or ppu.

3. lolzvid

lolzvid Peppy Member

Probably some problematic chips (mostly VRAM) or a blown fuse/PPU.
    There are some tutorials at the Internet for more info.

4. brento1138

brento1138 Member

I have the same problem, very similar to yours. I haven't had much luck in finding any tutorials. Where might I start looking? I should note that I've already desoldered all capacitors and replaced them all... Same trouble (black screen).

5. Dragoon13

Dragoon13 Member

Replacing all the capacitors fixed the black screen issue with my SNES.

6. jonoghue

jonoghue Active Member

First look at the CPU. if it says S-CPU A on it, i'd bet it's the cpu.
    http://assemblergames.com/l/threads...ack-screen-problem-trying-to-fix.56488/page-2

i had the problem on 2 SNESs, the OP of the linked thread had 4, and someone else i talked to had EIGHT. all the exact same model, SHVC-CPU-01 with the separate sound module. changing capacitors didn't work for me, the only thing that worked was taking a CPU out of a working SNES and putting it in one of the faulty ones.