Super Mario 64 Disk version found?

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Protodude, Jun 16, 2014.

1. geluda

geluda <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Interesting, so this adds a new title to the 64DD's infinitesimally small catalog. Still cool none the less.

2. Goemon

Goemon AG Member since 2005!

another one? o_O

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Site Supporter 2013

I don't think so, that auction ended in April.

4. lolzvid

lolzvid Peppy Member

5. BetaMan64

BetaMan64 Rising Member

I have read the thread I was just mentioning a site I remembered.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  6. OzOnE

OzOnE Site Supporter 2013

I know that the guy with the disk (Jimmy?) may not choose to release the SM64 image, but just a general update... ;)

[​IMG]

It's doing the Read Seek stuff OK atm, but I'm only getting back lots of -> 0xFFFFFFFFF for the data?

So, I'll have to hook up the FPGA board again to check the timings (and compare to what the N64 is sending to the drive).

I de-soldered the wires for the FPGA cable so I could solder a cable for the Arduino Due instead. lol

But, all of the code is in place now, and all in C code on the Arduino.
    It's now just down to a timing issue, so I have to compare it to the FPGA version.

When I get it reading the sectors / blocks again, I'll probably just have it stream the data via the serial port (at around 2Mbit/s or so).
    It doesn't really matter if it's a tad slow at ripping, as long as it works.

I'll definitely be releasing the binary for the Arduino Due at some point, but only when it's working reliably.

The connection to the 64DD is simple enough - around 22 wires to hook up, and you can use a normal floppy drive or IDE cable.

OzOnE.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    artillery_ghosted likes this.
  7. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

I can see that this is gonna be tits, Great work ozone!

8. mspeter97

mspeter97 Robust Member

Looks nice!

9. OniLink99999

OniLink99999 Rising Member

Very kindly, adonfjv (aka Jimmy) recorded a couple of music samples for me and posted them in the comments of his video. He recorded Bowser Road and Powerful Mario. I tried my best to compare them to the originals, and this is what I heard:

Unfortunately Bowser Road seems to be pretty much the same in terms of instrumentation and sound quality. I've been trying to figure out whether or not it's the original N64 version or the OST version (the OST was a bit faster than the original), but my ear isn't sensitive enough to figure it out, I'm afraid. I encourage anyone that sees this to have a listen and see what they think:

Original - Koopa's Road - Super Mario 64 Music Extended
    OST - Koopa's Road (OST Version) - Super Mario 64 Music Extended
    Disk Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKS-e9QlObk

The only other thing I noticed in that footage was that Bowser's message didn't appear at the start of the level. It may just be too long since I played Mario 64, but I thought that message always appeared at the start of the level, even after you've already beaten Bowser and gotten the key. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Powerful Mario, on the other hand, might be slightly different! Here's the original N64 version for comparison:

Original - Super Mario 64: Powerful Mario
    Disk Version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGeGIaJr8gc

To me, it sounds like the guitar is much more pronounced at the start of the song in the Disk version. The percussion is louder in the N64 version all throughout, so the main melody is a bit clearer and cleaner in the Disk version. Not huge differences, but I'd say this is similar to the changes found in Peach's Castle theme.

I noticed that mspeter97 mentioned earlier in the topic that the Castle theme was the same as the Japanese 1.0 version of the game. Assuming I'm not tone deaf and Powerful Mario actually is different to the normal N64 version we've all heard, can anyone confirm if it's from the Japanese version? Or is it something new? I saw OzOne mention that they might be using the full 44KHz samples instead of the original 22KHz, and these do sound slightly clearer to me.

artillery_ghosted likes this.
  10. mspeter97

mspeter97 Robust Member

Time to correct Myself^^ they're using the full 44KHz samples and some instruments play longer notes during the castle theme^^

11. JamesMichael

JamesMichael Light Hearted Drunk

12. OniLink99999

OniLink99999 Rising Member

Ah right, I see. Thanks for the correction mspeter97 - glad to know that there are some genuine differences!

13. geluda

geluda <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

14. Riki

Riki Peppy Member

I do not remember any Nintendo 44kHz game. Even Wii and 3DS games are 32kHz.

15. OzOnE

There weren't many N64 games with 44KHz audio tbh - I think Castlevania was one of them though?

One sure way to find out (without ripping the disk first) - put an oscilloscope on the BitClock pin on the N64 DAC. ;)

It does still sound like they're using ADPCM compression though, as some of the lowest notes sound a tad grainy.

The biggest difference I can hear (as others pointed out) is the notes just play slightly longer in the Castle Walls.
    It sounds like the relative volume levels are a bit different too.

It sounds very nice on headphones, so probably 44KHz samples (ADPCM or not, it's still better).

Time for me to hook up the FPGA again. I can then leave it connected in parallel to the Arduino Due, so I can use it as a logic analyser.

OzOnE.

16. Zoinkity

Zoinkity Site Supporter 2015

That's one sweet rig OzOnE ;*)

One thing to keep in mind about N64 audio is not all samples necessarily have to be at the same depth.

17. OzOnE

Thanks. ;)

You haven't seen my other-other project though. :p

http://i62.tinypic.com/2h7nk85.jpg
    http://i60.tinypic.com/rtkeub.jpg
    http://i61.tinypic.com/2sb7lol.jpg

(sorry, I couldn't keep it secret any longer. No promises for that project - it's a LONG-term thing.)

Yeah, I think they do some dodgy compression stuff too for ADPCM, so they use a look-up table and the bit depths can actually change throughout a sample.
    (Did some reverse-engineering junk last year with my Roland JV-1080 synth, and it uses a similar compression method to most N64 games).

OzOnE.

18. Mooliecool

Mooliecool Rapidly Rising Member

If I may ask what is that other, other project thing?

19. OzOnE

N64 on a Chip (FPGA). :D

I ton of stuff to figure out for that yet, but it's one of the main reasons I bought the Cyclone V GX Starter Kit.

I'll be using the real cart slot first, as it's simpler than trying to manage cart emulation at the same time (LPDDR2 RAM is already in use).

I'll also use the real PIF chip, so I don't have to deal with the CIC and controller stuff until it's all running.
    This could be a project spanning many months, and I haven't even hooked up the CPU yet.

For the 64DD Ripper - I've just finished soldering the wires onto the old FPGA board, so now I can spy on the real N64 <-> 64DD transfers, and debug the Arduino Due version.

The old FPGA code already has a lot of the 64DD registers in there. The idea being that we can emulate the 64DD in hardware once the disks have been "backed up".

I don't want to hijack this thread really, but I'll post any major updates here.
    (for N64-OAC project, I'll make a new thread, but that could be many months away).

OzOnE.

20. lolzvid

lolzvid Peppy Member

Whaaaaaat? That's awesome, man!
    Remember: N64's patents expires in 2016, better start getting prepared for the clone market!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014