Super Mario 64 Disk version found?

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Protodude, Jun 16, 2014.

1. mspeter97

mspeter97 Robust Member

yeah...now if someone would finish a 64DD emulator...It couldn't be THAT hard with all the stuff people found on this forums.

2. Zoinkity

Zoinkity Site Supporter 2015

Part of the handshake involves writing to 05000530 and 05000528. You start with a value from the DD sequence data, <<16 | 0x5900, write it to 05000530, conditionally add 0x100 to this value after doing so, then write that <<8 to 05000528. That lets you write the same value | 0x40000000 to DD sequence data to prevent the drive throwing a lock. Somewhat important to know these, and as far as I know specifics remain undocumented.

Incidentally, the same scheme is used to allow a disk image to bypass the usual software protection against them running on retail drives.

There's also a stack of attrib register flags that aren't known but tested. Without some idea what is going on there you can only go so far software-side, which is exactly why I stopped pursuing this software-side until more hardware work could be done.

The contents of the disk are easy to read, but this is different from a true disk image with all its formatting. It's akin to copying the files off a floppy versus making an image of it. That's why we say the disk dumps are incomplete, even though the contents of them (for the most part) are, and yes, it poses a serious problem to emulation.

Anyway, really hoping this is a one-of-a-kind find and not some hoax. It would be genuinely unique.

3. Mooliecool

Mooliecool Rapidly Rising Member

Wonder why there wasnt a proper title screen

4. Mooliecool

Mooliecool Rapidly Rising Member

IF its fake there are three possibilities he's running a dev unit disguised as a 64DD and thats a blue disk (unlikely)
    Has a another n64 or computer running a modded rom in the background
    or its real

5. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

psio was pushed by Haunted, someone who didn't remotely have the skills to even put a PCB together and ran his mouth insulting anyone and everyone offering help that dared to show he might be ignorant about a topic.

This has slightly more credibility than Haunted IMO.

6. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

I haven't doubts that this is real, as It would be quite a feat to take those old grainy pictures and make a disk like the one seen.

7. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh <B>Site Supporter 2014</B><BR><B>Whole Month Spons

Mooliecool

A 64DD developement doesn't work without IPL4ROM / DDROM.

DDRomcartridge.jpg

8. Jimmy130

Jimmy130 Active Member

Because it is a tech demo.

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Site Supporter 2013

10. LuigiBlood

LuigiBlood SNES and 64DD Savior

11. Goemon

Goemon AG Member since 2005!

Mhm that lending thing is hot water.
    If i remember correctly, there was a guy lending his whole DD collection to somebody who claimed the same as you.
    End of the story was that this guy never got his DD Stuff back and DD dumps are still not available.
    I hope you are more reliable!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  12. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

You'd have more luck with a donation scheme then someone sending their hardware, with any chances of something happening to it.

13. LuigiBlood

I know that it is, but did that somebody claimed to have done something in the past?
    I know I certainly did with the Satellaview, I talked about it on the topic he linked, there's even a photo that I took with the homebrew I made for it.

I'm pretty much one of the only available guy for technical Satellaview knowledge, as I emulated that thing actually slightly better than nocash, and I got the real hardware and tested a few things to it. I still didn't have what I wanted but I confirmed lots of emulation stuff, because we were only guessing with reverse engineering the BS-X.

EDIT:
    You think so? I do have a Paypal but I feel it will be quite slow, and as I have 2 full months of free time to work on that, I prefer not to wait that much, to be honest. And considering how the 64DD costs a LOT today, I don't think I'll get around $1000 like that. I'm not against it, but I'd like to know if people would donate first.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Site Supporter 2013

Whoops, sorry about that.

15. BetaMan64

BetaMan64 Rising Member

16. artillery_ghosted

artillery_ghosted Gutsy Member

helps to read the thread

17. ma777

ma777 Peppy Member

On a side note,what hardware did Nintendo use to "Burn" these disk? Does anyone have pictures of a DD "Gang-Writer"?

18. mspeter97

mspeter97 Robust Member

19. LuigiBlood

That 64DD "firmware" dump is however useful to have. But that F-Zero Expansion Kit dump misses the System Area part.

Thankfully that was still enough to hack F-Zero X to have 64DD stuff included.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  20. ince

ince Spirited Member