Super Mario 64 Disk version found?

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Protodude, Jun 16, 2014.

1. subbie

subbie Guardian of the Forum

Oh trust me I know. I just more mean in the sense that we could reverse the libs for how it talks to the hardware along with building out demos to test the system. As well the 64DD it self is pretty straight forward in how it reacts to the commands fed to it.

Regardless, 64DD is not complex to emulate. There is even a thread on this forum that has decent knowledge to get started with.

2. Rodrigo

Rodrigo Spirited Member

Cool to see it's already being discussed! :)))

3. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

God, at this very moment I wish there was a means to write/dump commercial disks.

4. OniLink99999

OniLink99999 Rising Member

Fantastic stuff! One of the most exciting finds I've seen in years.

I hope that one day it can be dumped, simply so that people can go through the files and see if there's any hidden content related to that cancelled Mario 64 sequel they were developing. After all, if they were making a 64DD game based on the Mario 64 engine, it stands to reason that porting Mario 64 would be the first step. Who knows what they might have started on before this cartridge was made, and what might have been hastily left on here - especially since it was never meant to be sold.

5. supermariovb64

supermariovb64 Spirited Member

6. mspeter97

mspeter97 Robust Member

The "Castle Walls" theme is the same from the JAP 1.0 cart version, it sounds a bit different from the PAL and NTSC versions

7. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh <B>Site Supporter 2014</B><BR><B>Whole Month Spons

If the game looks identical to the version of Super Mario 64 (J) (1.0), it has been slightly modified for the title screen.

What looks like the Gameshark code for the Select Level, shows differences.
    The display DISK VERSION, PRESS START and instead STAGE SELECT and PRESS START BUTTON.

Note also that the GS code still allows the animation Mario's head. This is not the case here.

SM64LevelSelect.jpg SM64DiskVersion.jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  8. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

I'm not trying to be a complete debbie downer, but is there anything in the video itself that firmly proves on way or the other that its legit, wouldnt be impossible for someone to just drop the DD boot video in front of a video and modify the level select screen text imo?

9. Zoinkity

Zoinkity Site Supporter 2015

Yes, you certainly have a point.

...except for all the undocumented registers and values it throws that are required for drive access. The ones, in particular, you can't just feed an "expected value" to without anticipating the value.
    Compiled game engines are not Lego blocks you can mix-and-match with ease. If you change from a cart to a disk you have an entirely different access scheme. Do you have any idea how many dependancies that changes, or how many functions and arguments need to be altered? That very well could throw off the rdram address map as well if you don't code things as tight as possible. The best hackers for the system would struggle to pull that off.
    Case and point is that the reverse process--F-Zero X expansion to cart--hasn't been successfully accomplished either. With the exception of saving data, there is no feature that can't be ported back to cart. (flashcarts could provide the save sizes required, but not retail carts.) Unhooking all that disk access though is evil.

Besides, the point is you'd still be tied to the demo drives. If it's legit it's a retail disk, and no, you can't just software fudge those to run on the wrong drive. Plastic staining or case swapping could fake it, but at that point why not just run a video?

10. subbie

Zoinkity,

Not to turn this into a pissing match but please check out these topics here on the forum. Hell you've even posted in one of them.
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?42586-64DD-USB-Interface-progress
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?36210-Getting-a-64DD-unit-for-emulation-research

There isn't any undocumented register sets anymore. We know them and a few have fully reversed eng the IPL4ROM (which is easy to find on the net, both retail and dev IPLs). I also know of a few sitting on valid full dumps of DD games. There just isn't a purpose to posting them.

The only barrier to 64DD emulation is someone just sitting down and actually finishing something.

11. Goemon

Goemon AG Member since 2005!

You talking about LaC huh?
    Well anyway, i think this disk should be dumped ASAP.
    I dont talk about sharing on the net, i mean backup.
    A DD is still a magnetic disk so stuff can happen all the time.
    Since this is the only disk of that kind we know, it should be backuped.

12. subbie

A few. I think it was found that LaC original dumps were not complete.

13. Jimmy130

Jimmy130 Active Member

Yes, this disk should be dumped. But how to do it?

14. ma777

ma777 Peppy Member

If I were you I would try to contact:

Shiggsy
    willis82
    Kammedo
    Jackhead
    Zoinkity

Basically anyone in the Dezaemon 64dd thread would be a good place to start.

15. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

The same could be said about psio. One thing to note is the attention to detail on the disk, It is completely identical to the ones in older pictures.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  16. OzOnE

OzOnE Site Supporter 2013

Ahhh, so it is IS a real disk!

OK, so I may have been wrong (on Facebook) - I suspected it may have been fake.

But, I was right in saying that if it is real, they clearly just slapped any old sticker on the front of it (for "beta" testing).

And, it essentially looks the same as the cart game, just using the disk libraries.
    Will be very interesting to see what differences there are though.

Oh dear - and I was looking at re-starting the 64DD ripping project only the other day. lol

OK, I'll have to make a real push for this in the next few days.
    I've been buying various ARM / Arduino boards to port the code over to, but never got around to it.

I don't think I can fully open-source it though, 'cos there a few bits of "sensitive" info in there from the N64 SDK and other places.

AFAIK, it seemed to be reading my Mario Artist disk fine, but my crappy serial port method for transferring to the PC was very flawed.
    So, it kept loosing sync and freezing randomly.

However, the data I did see looked good to me, and followed what was expected in each zone / sector at least.

Of course, it also included the full system area sectors, so it shouldn't be a problem to make proper full rips once I can get the code sorted.

It may be possible for me to just upload a binary for an Arduino or something, so people can hook up to their own 64DD and rip the disks for the community?

As always though - I don't want to promise too much, 'cos I have a hard time finishing most of these projects tbh.

OzOnE.

17. OzOnE

OzOnE Site Supporter 2013

btw, I do think the disk is real, but I'm doubtful that there will be any huge differences on there.

The audio does sound slightly better though - as if they've used the full 44KHz samples instead of 22KHz etc.

I'm fairly convinced now that it's the real deal, 'cos the way it loads from disk at the correct times, and the loading delays seem legit.

EDIT: Oh, and I can assure everyone that the PSIO does work - do you mean cybdyn's project?
    The DCIO definitely works too, but it's been a long and difficult process for cybdyn to get it this far.

OzOnE.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  18. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

LaC made a lot of stuff, wonder if he's even still around...

19. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Site Supporter 2013

This would be realy nice to see happen!

20. SubDrag

SubDrag Rapidly Rising Member

I'd really love to see a way to get this dumped, even if not playable at moment. There's a lot of interesting work that can be done on comparisons to the retail versions.