Super Mario 64 Disk version found?

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Protodude, Jun 16, 2014.

1. corrigo

corrigo Active Member

Cool, it might be interesting.

2. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Yep. Looks like the shop didn't know what they had. I would have picked that up in a heart beat if that was in my local Hard Off. The 64DD isn't that special really as they can be found without too much trouble but Mario on disc? WOW! Lucky bugger whoever bought that.

3. Keiji Dragon

Keiji Dragon Enthusiastic Member

I cannot wait to read more about this historical item. When can we expect to read the blog post?

4. Zoinkity

Zoinkity Site Supporter 2015

To be fair, if it isn't a fake, it isn't a carbon copy of Mario64. It's the same game, yes, but internally it's a very different beast. You have an entirely different loader mechanism, a different memory management system, disk management and buffers in the upper 8MB, LBA tables and offsets in place of ROM addresses, and that's only what comes to mind. If they happen to use any of the sound or font files (or code!) from IPL that's its own bag of cats.

5. Jimmy130

Jimmy130 Active Member

I will try to write article in few days. I also need to make videos. Don't worry, I will publish pictures and videos about the disk.

6. Keiji Dragon

Keiji Dragon Enthusiastic Member

So it wouldn't necessarily be just a ROM in a disk but it would actually be a port of the cartridge game? Wow, so that would explain the extra time (from 1997-1998/9?) HAL needed to turn MOTHER 3 / Earthbound 64 into a cartridge game.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  7. skyrunner14

skyrunner14 Rising Member

So wait, I'm confused. Was this a game that was actually released (albeit in VERY low supply), or some sort of tech demo thing, or what? And if it was released, why'd they go through the trouble of giving it a proper sticker and all? I don't doubt it's not real, there's more than enough to prove it is indeed real, I'm just curious on those points.

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Site Supporter 2013

It is a tech demo.

9. OniLink99999

OniLink99999 Rising Member

Looking forward to the article/video Jimmy =D Even if there aren't many differences, I always find 64DD stuff fascinating! There seems to have been so much going on behind-the-scenes at Nintendo that we don't know much about.

10. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

It was a tech demo to show off how load times were fast on 64dd. Considering that Mario 64 was an 8mb cart and 64dd had 8mb of ram not really exactly earth shattering demo but not a bad one none the less.

But even for a show demo I have to wonder if they ported the whole game over and if it crashes it not (considering debug time). Plus seeing how strict nintendo is with protos did this get out in the wild due to a dev or a shop using it as a demo?

11. pato

pato Resolute Member

That image recalls that protype hardware that was exposed somewhere, they where all placed in a glass protection too, but I think it was some sort of expo.

How did the Zelda FM proto Disk ended being leaked?

My guess for Mario is that somehow it ended on some one hands that wasn't working for nintendo/worked there at the time and decided to sell to the store to see if anyone would leak it, so nobody would go after him. Or it ended there by accident, such as selling an collection to that store without knowing that the game was there.

I think there are cases of protos or dev hardware being sold in garage sales, I recall that someone from here bought an X360 Sidecar in a garage sale for 5-15 dollars.

12. MSX

MSX Is secretly 32-bit ---- Site Supporter 2013 & 2014

There was a Super Mario Kart prototype that sold on ebay a year or two ago. It was in the ebay thread. Nintendo may be strict, but there have been non-final carts that have leaked.

13. artillery_ghosted

artillery_ghosted Gutsy Member

What are the chances that this build may have extra data? This could be naive, but because it was not made with consumers in mind perhaps it has more proto/debug/dev data than retail? Some might scoff at the suggestion, but I also ponder if this has traces of the supposed SM64 sequel slated for 64DD.

Loading times aside, how does it play? Will a video be made?

14. ryansimmons323

ryansimmons323 Member

I can't wait to read more and see a video of this thing being run if possible!

This is an unprecedented find if it's the real deal.

I do think it is real though in my opinion. Jimmy130 always posts genuine content from his extensive research on the N64 and the 64DD.

It's also worth pointing out that the labels on the disk are also perfectly in line with the video from Shoshinkai showing this disk.

But I think one of the other significant reasons why I believe this to be real is because of the story behind it. It was listed for sale in a shop at a standard, even relatively low price for an N64DD - the seller didn't know what he had. How did it get there? Maybe being 'just' a simple demo of SM64 on disk a member of Nintendo staff kept it to his/herself and later decided to sell it with a load of other things he/she may of been clearing out, while not realising the significance of this particular disk.

I deeply look forward to hearing more about this disk, especially being someone with particular interest in the lost relics of the N64 and the N64DD.

15. ryansimmons323

ryansimmons323 Member

He's posted the video.

It's certainly the real thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rd6_5HoJd8

Just a disc version of the Japanese version of the game, but nonetheless an extraordinary find. It's inexplicably rare. It also shows how far in advance Nintendo had the 64DD hardware ready (this disk is supposedly from Shoshinkai 1996) and were literally just waiting until the time was right to release it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  16. M. Bison

M. Bison I'll see you all at 3:15!

That's just... Wow. Incredible. This has got to be one of the best finds in a while.

Now, what I'm wondering is if there's any additional traces of the beta of SM64 in this version not found in retail versions.

17. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

That looks nothing that the one I saw in the video by another Youtuber, I see why Borman called him a faker. this copy seems not to have as significant load time whilst the fake I saw had the the same load screen of Doshin 2 (the white loadscreen). I'm really thrilled to see this and thank you for posting it.

18. subbie

subbie Guardian of the Forum

We don't need this really. There are a few out there who know more then enough to emulate the 64DD (even one who has gotten as far as stuff running). It's not a horribly difficult task to do, just the desire is stupidly low.

-edit-
    I should add that the leo commands to use the 64DD are well known since they are in the n64 sdk which has been leaked for ages.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  19. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Glad a video was actually made about it. You'd be surprised how many don't share anything like this, so this is awesome stuff.

20. Zoinkity

Zoinkity Site Supporter 2015

I should add the Leo library is an abstraction of the actual driver code and unnecessary for disk support. MFS is a further abstraction. Look at the generated code sometime to see what I mean.

The changes required to run this exclusively from disk would be difficult to hack into a ROM to say the least. Like I said, they're entirely different beasts. Also, that's a retail cart in a retail drive. Getting full disk images is painful enough much less burning one onto a retail cart.

If it's a fraud it's video fraud, not compiled content. You'd have to be an exceptionally good hacker to convert this in software.