Super FX Compatible SNES to Super Famicom Adapter

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Sargie, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Sargie

Sargie Active Member

Hi - I hope one of you knowledgeable bods can help me!

I have a Japanese Super Famicom. I want to play US Super FX and / or SA1 cartridges on it like StarFox, Super Mario RPG, Etc.

I currently have a Honey Bee adapter but that does not work with Super Mario RPG, StarFox.

I know about the other options regarding how to play these games (using a SNES, taking the PCB out of the cart, modifying the Super Famicom, hacking together my own adapter, etc) but for the purposes of this discussion those options are out.

What I really want to know is, is there an easily commercially available adapter that will do the job?

I've done some research:

The adapter in this video (a "Gizbo" apparently) seems to do the trick but it does not seem to be easily available.

Question 1: Does anyone know where to get these "Gizbo" adapters from?

It's possible a "Games Master" adapter from the UK might work according to the thread. You can pick these things up fairly cheaply and easily on Ebay. I've used something similar before when I was in the UK for the N64...

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/playing-usa-carts-on-a-japanese-super-famicom.58975/

Question 2: Can anyone confirm that these "Games Master" adapters will work on a Japanese Super Famicom and run Super Marion RPG, StarFox, etc?

Pro-Action Replays might also work, apparently.

Question 3: Can anyone confirm that a Pro Action Replay adapter will work on a Japanese Super Famicom and run Super Marion RPG, StarFox, etc?

Question 4: Anyone know of any other commercially available adapters that will work?

Thanks!

Sarge

2. rso

rso Not a member. You're imagining things.

3. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

1) Not really - this one looks similar and seems to have all the pins connected. It's a lot more expensive that I remember, though...

http://www.goldenshop.com/ai/products.php?131

2) If they are the ones I'm thinking of, they take two carts and route the CIC signals to the one plugged in the back of the adapter - so can boot NTSC carts on PAL consoles, but they won't work with SA-1 games like Super Mario RPG.

3) Never tried it - but if it has all 3 sections of the connector then it should. If it's only got the center 23-position connector it won't.

4) Anything that's got all the pins wired through will work - the consoles are electrically identical.

4. Pikmin

Pikmin Fiery Member

I'm pretty sure my AR MK3 doesn't work with Mario RPG on a PAL console
    Since then I converted one cart to PAL, and later I installed the SuperCIC in my Snes.

I would just get a SFC shell and pop the pcb in it, the US ones are ugly as sin anyway. I would still keep it, if you ever decide to sell the game

5. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

This right here. Lockout, 50hz/60hz, all of it, doesn't apply to adapters between USA SNES and a Super Famicom.

What about a Japanese Pro Action Replay?

6. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

I don't know about the Japanese ones - but the original version that Datel sold in the UK only had the 23 pin connector and hence won't work with carts with expansion chips in them. The later version had the full connector with the additional pins wired. I don't know if this is the case with the Japanese version, and hence I can't say with any safety if all Japanese Action Replays will support the expanded carts.

7. Pikmin

Pikmin Fiery Member

Mine has got the extra pins but Super Mario RPG doesn't work with it- no cart detected I also tried a PAL Yoshi's Island but that gives me a black screen, maybe I should try a JAP FX game just to confirm, however I don't have one with me at the moment

8. Sargie

Sargie Active Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

TriMesh's link looks like it might work:

http://www.goldenshop.com/ai/products.php?131

This same device is also mentioned is rso's thread and SaturnHST says it works with "Special Chip Games".

I really don't want to splash for it if it doesn't work with Super Mario RPG though... Does anyone **know** if this will work?

9. Ergot_Cholera

Ergot_Cholera Keep your shirt on.

I have a straight pin to pin bridge adapter called a 'Super Adaptor' made exactly for this purpose. I had another one which I sold on ebay a few weeks ago.

10. Sargie

Sargie Active Member

Thanks Ergot_Cholera! Seems like a number of people are saying a straight pin to pin adapter will work.

I responded to this thread at videogameperfection.

https://www.videogameperfection.com/2016/10/17/protection-nintendo-review/#comments

The guy here says one of these adapters (http://www.goldenshop.com/ai/products.php?131) will work with Super Mario RPG if I have a SuperCIC installed. As my Super Famicom is Japanese and not PAL I thought I didn't need a CIC chip installed. I've asked him to clarify.

I **think** it's looking like one of these straight pin-to-pin adapters or extenders might do the trick! I'd love for someone to confirm that the precise one available online will do the trick but maybe I'll just have to spring for it and see.

11. Ergot_Cholera

12. Sargie

Sargie Active Member

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  13. Sargie

Sargie Active Member

Based on all your kind feedback and a few PM's I've taken the plunge and bought one of the port extenders. I'll let you know how it works!

14. Sargie

Sargie Active Member

15. Noko Bombette

Noko Bombette Active Member

Just a question: how does that fit inside the cartridge slot? I have another adapter and it moves a lot just by moving the console. I think I lost a save game because of that.

16. Sargie

Sargie Active Member

It seems fairly sturdy to me.

17. Ergot_Cholera

I might try and make my own bridge adapter. I have a cartridge slot that I desoldered from a SFC board that I removed the ground shield from. All I need is a cheap SFC game with the extra grounding connectors and then just solder them pin to pin. EASY.

18. Sargie

Sargie Active Member

Sounds like a cool project!

19. demilich

demilich Active Member

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017