Super Fighter Team Roms finally CRACKED. Beggar Prince MD

Discussion in 'Mega Everdrive / Everdrive MD' started by krisk77, Jul 26, 2013.

1. krisk77

krisk77 Peppy Member

Beggar Prince, originally known as Xin Qigai Wangzi (Chinese: 新乞丐王子, Hanyu Pinyin: Xīn Qǐgà i Wángzǐ, Wade-Giles: Hsin Ch'i-kai Wang-tzu, literally The New The Prince and the Pauper) is a Chinese role-playing adventure game for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis and PC. It was originally released in 1996 for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis by C&E Inc. and later ported and released in 1998 on the PC.

An English translation of the Sega Genesis version was produced by the North American company Super Fighter Team. A prototype version was first shown to the public on August 20, 2005 at the Classic Gaming Expo in Burlingame, California. The completed game began shipping to pre-order customers on May 22, 2006, at the price of $40USD per copy. Beggar Prince was the first game for the Sega Genesis to be commercially released in North America since 1998

For a Sega Mega Drive/Genesis game, Beggar Prince is rather large, weighing in at 32-megabits (4 megabytes) in size. Players could record their progress to any of the four available save slots. The game shipped within a plastic clamshell case along with a glossy, full-color 27-page instruction manual. The game's unique cartridge hardware was designed by Kim Biu Wong, head of Tototek, and Super Fighter Team president Brandon Cobb. All pieces were manufactured in China.

Beggar Prince works with any Sega Genesis (with the exception of Sega Genesis Firecore), Mega Drive or Nomad system, regardless of its region (NTSC and PAL are both supported). But for the first two runs, due to the manner in which the game's save function is programmed, it is impossible to save on systems connected to the 32X or hybrid CD systems such as the Multi-Mega/CDX and Wondermega. Playing the game with a Sega Mega-CD/Sega CD attached to the Mega Drive/Genesis works with the second CD model. On a European Multi-Mega, the game resets itself after the introduction scenes, making it unplayable.

The third production run is notable as the box and manual art were changed and, more importantly, the game's save feature had been re-programmed to allow full functionality with all Genesis, Mega Drive and compatible systems (such as the Nomad, 32X, CDX, X'Eye, Laseractive and so on).

Link removed at request of developer. Game is still being sold. Please support them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2016
    americandad likes this.
  2. RaZiel

RaZiel Enthusiastic Member

Legend of Wu Kong and Star Odyssey are also posted ;) Without ekeke's documentation about how these work in his emulator I do not think they would be out yet either. So a big thanks goes to him for the knowledge. It should also be noted the rom dumps used were from the second version of Beggar Prince with all the bug fixes.

Edit

I can confirm them working on ED v2, Mega Everdrive, Kega Fusion, GENS4ALL (Dreamcast) and retroarch. I thoroughly tested them and all working properly. I have also done Pier Solar but there is one protection left and must be over come with a AR code. I can confirm it working on the Mega Everdrive as well. I will not be releasing that ROM as they still sell the carts. I have been waiting a long time for the Super Fighter Team to come through with their reprints and got tired of waiting once the dumps arrived thanks to bootsector and his new hardware. He is also the guy that did Super Mario 64 I cracked as well. A good SNES port pirate. Without him and ekeke's documentation these would still be uncracked and unplayable on the Everdrive.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  3. Kefka77

Kefka77 Member

Beggar Prince not cracked, same file as in the No-Intro set.

For one thing, the game won't save on either my ED v2, or my Mega ED (OS files are updated on both). For another, the game restarts after you grab that spell the mage gives you. I have to wonder if they uploaded the right file, or it got replaced, or something. The video clearly shows it working, but it won't for me. UPDATE: This is definitely the wrong file. Maybe something happened with the other files when the "Legend of Wukong" link went dead and it had to be re-uploaded. Now that game appears to be patched. So does SO. But an fc/b of BP reveals it to be the same ROM found in the No-Intro set. Not cracked at all. If there was a cracked copy, it's gone now.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  4. Dreamcastnews

Dreamcastnews Gutsy Member

I asked the guy who runs Superfighterteam if he'd consider porting the games to the Dreamcast as a 'classic pack' type thing. He said there was no interest to do so. Instead they ported them to PC -_-

5. Kefka77

Kefka77 Member

On Steam I'm assuming, lol. They sure love their DRM don't they? Nothing collectable about a license to play though, so, forget that. Sounds almost as disheartening as that 180 XSeed pulled. Here they seemed to know what we collectors want when they were putting out Ys for PSP -- nice shiny box, soundtrack CD, etc. Then they go and release the PC Ys series on Steam, meaning the collectors still only have one option -- import the Japanese titles and use the existing fan translations. UPDATE: Had a look at what you're talking about. A download they e-mail you. Still not interested if they don't want to stamp a silver, print a manual, and put it in a shiny box. No physicality = no value. Besides, if I was fine with just emulating the games, I already have the No-Intro set and RetroArch. I don't see why they didn't go ahead and release Pier cracked. They'd be helping it sell more copies if it's really as good as everyone claims. For that matter, SFT would have sold more copies of their games if they had released ROMs alongside the carts. A true collector would want a real cart (and that is the supposed target, right?). What, do they think people won't want a retail copy just because they have a download? If that were true I wouldn't own Dragon Warrior II through IV, Tengen Tetris, Dracula X Chronicles, and I certainly wouldn't have bought Diablo III for PS3 (truth be told, I wasn't planning to, and arguably I had every right to feel entitled, having bought the PC version, but I changed my mind in the time between it hitting the net and the retail shelves). Put the game in my ROM set, and I might purchase a cart if the price is fair. Keep it off the net and it's a $40 gamble that I, and a lot of others, aren't going to take. Sabotage it with copy protection and you have run me off. I've had far too many incidents where something that wasn't supposed to cause a problem did (Safedisc 2 in Red Alert 2 for example -- apparently no one at EA tested it on Plextor SCSI drives). But I guess there's a bunch of people who still believe the myth that fair use hurts sales, no matter how many times it gets busted (the music and movie industries are supposed to be dead at the hands of the cassette deck and VCR, after all).

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  6. Ikesankom

Ikesankom Newly Registered

Sad. The link is down.

7. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I feel conflicted, as the developer is a member of this forum. Please don't post links if they are still selling this game.

8. rso

rso °

I was just about to post about BP being sold out, permanently, but it appears they're about to re-release it. Yay! (Legend of Wukong & Star Odyssey as well, but not until 2017...)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  9. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Game is being sold, and developer has asked no download links be posted on this site.

10. Mr. Sound-About

Mr. Sound-About Never let dreams die!

We're still proudly selling our Genesis / Mega Drive RPGs...

Beggar Prince
    Legend of Wukong
    Star Odyssey

Please don't discuss piracy of our products.
    I'll be happy to answer any questions about these games, just contact me by e-mail or PM.

Thanks for your attention.