Suggestions for the improvement of ALL Everdrive versions

Discussion in 'Everdrive General' started by dragonstrap, May 4, 2011.

1. dragonstrap

dragonstrap Spirited Member

I am making this thread in order to discuss potential improvements for ALL VERSIONS of the Everdrive, not specific to any particular console version of the Everdrive.

To start it off, I have:

1) a function to display long filenames by scrolling through its characters.

After <some amount of time>, the ROM name scrolls to the end, pauses, and then scrolls back again.

For example:

FULL-NAME CAN NOT FIT ON S

..we pause for <some amount of time>

ULL-NAME CAN NOT FIT ON SC
    LL-NAME CAN NOT FIT ON SCR
    L-NAME CAN NOT FIT ON SCRE
    -NAME CAN NOT FIT ON SCREE
    NAME CAN NOT FIT ON SCREEN

..pause for <some amount of time> again, and then 'bounce' back

-NAME CAN NOT FIT ON SCREE
    L-NAME CAN NOT FIT ON SCRE
    LL-NAME CAN NOT FIT ON SCR

ULL-NAME CAN NOT FIT ON SC
    FULL-NAME CAN NOT FIT ON S

..and repeat.

This would allow for long filenames to be displayed in their entireity and avoid the tedious task of renaming ROMs to fit into some prescribed character limit.

2) scrolling through pages should allow for 'wrap-around'.

For example, pressing 'left' at the first page should loop you around to the last page and a similar situation when pressing 'right' on the last page.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  2. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

Everdrive should have voice synthesizer and say HELLO, DAVE on start up. When attempting to run improperly formatted roms it should state IM AFRAID I CANT DO THAT

3. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Robust Member

SDHC, FAT32, and LFN support on all models. That's all just software, so I imagine it will eventually be on them all with an simple OS update.

4. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

LFN already supprorted by all carts :p
    scrolling probably will not be implemented because:
    1) i personally nervous when i see left-right text strolling somewhere (hate my phone)
    2)there is a lot much more important functions which not implemented yet, so better i will spend my time on some other things

5. goombakid

goombakid Spirited Member

Delete option on game selection screen. Sometimes there's a game there that doesn't work or it was a waste of time adding it on the SD card in the first place.

6. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

This. So much.

7. dragonstrap

This would be great because it's tiresome to writing down which games didn't work (or sucked), and then having to go to a computer to do the deleting.

In the event of a game that didn't work, perhaps another dump of the ROM will work (which one could then try to hunt down). A useful addition would be the ability to mark ROM as "not working". A simple rename with a prefix like "[not_working]" would be enough for this.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  8. Eke

Eke Spirited Member

IMO, all these features are not very important and would more easily handled by having "third party" OS or a deal between devs and Krikzz just like Chilly WIlly did on neo Myth, letting Krikzz focusing on more important (and interesting) features he really wants to work on (I feel that hardware design is higher priority for him and I completely understand).

Because let's face it, users are by definitions never "happy" with what they have and will always ask for new features, more or less useful, sometime just to get ride of something they could do themselves but consider too much painful (E.g deleting or renaming files), this can easily become a full-time job adding features to OS

9. dragonstrap

I think I would agree. These things are largely cosmetic and, while time-consuming, not very difficult. I would be happy to have a go at coding some things up myself. Is the O.S. source code available (specifically, for the Everdrive MD) ?

Turns out this feature is already implemented. I could've sworn it didn't work when I tried it the other day. Anyway, cross that one off.

10. angelwolf71885

angelwolf71885 Dauntless Member

ide like to see picture/box art for games
    the picture would change as you scrolled through the names

or the games could be just represented by the pictures

ide like to see the super ever drive/SMS ever drive/game gear everdrive/ever drive 64 and all future ever drives receive the white progress bar that is found in the mega drive ever drive

11. erkan

erkan Spirited Member

I was thinking of this when I did a review of the Super Everdrive, there are many things that can be improved in the GUI, such as box art, info on games, links to dev, you could integreate a XML-file with all info on every SNES-roms etc.. . sounds like must have, but when I thought about it again, Everdrive runs SNES games very fine as is, and to be honest with you that is all I wanted with the carts so I am fine with them as is.

...would be great to have a delete button though :)

12. haynor666

haynor666 Spirited Member

I've printed for myself small catalog with game screenshots used with my everdrives. That should be enough.

Because I've prepared list of games I don't need such function like delete rename etc. About 90% from Goodsets works without any problems.