Suggested Everdrives

Discussion in 'Everdrive General' started by aleomark, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Tempest_2084

Tempest_2084 Spirited Member

Is there really a point in making a Everdrive for the Sega CD or Neo Geo CD? Neither has copy protection so you can burn whatever game iso you want onto a CD and play away. I'm not even sure how a CD based Everdrive would work, it doesn't make sense.

2. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Fairchild Channel F.

3. Conker2012

Conker2012 Intrepid Member

Yes, but an Everdrive (or any third party SD Card based solution) has the advantages that;

a) You can store *all* games on one SD Card, so no more messing around with loads of discs for all the games you like to play,
    b) Saves wear and tear on the disc drive (even if the disc drive is dead!),

and might have the following advantages too;

c) Allows faster loading of games, maybe, this depends on several factors, mainly the game-specific case of if each game will or won't crash if the loading times aren't simulated, though even in the worst case, the backup device can simulate the lower loading rate for compatibility (some Atari ST and Amiga games need this, others are happy to load instantly - alright, so that's floppy drive images not CD images, but the principal is the same),
    d) Allows you to play modded (user altered) games, though you can probably do this by just burning them to disc instead, as with commercial games,

It would need soldering for most consoles, and software to convert the virtual CD head reading action into actual image address loading, but PC based emulators of CD based consoles have done this for years, it is possible. No doubt there are many more issues to overcome, but Krikzz and others have done amazing things, and no doubt Everdrive-like devices will be made for CD based consoles, whether tomorrow or in a few years time.

Personally, I'd like a Gamecube Everdrive. Though if I were Krikzz's boss, I'd tell him to add Gameshark code support to the Everdrive 64 first! That would make more than a few N64 fans happy.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  4. pool7

pool7 Site Supporter 2014

It would most likely be like the PSIO project: you load the games in an SD card and put that into the Everdrive. Depending on the console, it'll most likely need to connect to an existing expansion port or maybe directly to the motherboard.

5. Braintrash

Braintrash Robust Member

Would love to see the DCIO project done.
    BTW, for Gamecube, aren't the Wii HDD docks also work in Gamecube mode?

6. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 Insane redneck retro gamer...

To answer all questions we don't need a Gamecube Everdrive. There is already a solution. It's called the Wii Key fusion or the WODE. Wii Key uses SD cards for iso images and WODE uses a USB device such as a HDD to load iso images. Both work straight on Gamecube once wiring is sorted out. I don't think there is any need to flash anything. Not sure though...

7. kuze

kuze Peppy Member

Aside from those, there is also the IDE-EXI which can be used to load homebrew/games from the memory card port on the Gamecube.
    http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Ide-exi

8. Conker2012

But it's my understanding that none of the Gamecube devices allow the games to stream audio from the virtual disc files on the SD Card, resulting in no music (or whatever game sounds should be streamed) in some games, which isn't exactly ideal.

9. ceramiclion

ceramiclion Robust Member

I'm down for gameboy everdrive color or advance.
    There are many GBA flash carts but they're all trash. The GBA needs a touch of quality.

10. lovewiibrew

lovewiibrew Site Supporter 2012

For gamecube I suggest just getting a wii and hooking a hdd up to it and using either DIOS MIOS or Devolution. The streaming audio in DIOS MIOS doesn't work properly. However, a new program called "nintendon't" is in the works that will work on the virtual wii on the Wii U, and also the Wii. Audio streaming will work in Nintendon't.

11. Conker2012

Thanks for the information, mate. I'll look into them.