Suggested Everdrives

Discussion in 'Everdrive General' started by aleomark, Mar 23, 2011.

1. aleomark

aleomark Spirited Member

Hi folks, lately I've been reading a lot of times people asking for an everdrive for they favorite consoles, I look back in old topics and found these systems already mentioned.

-NeoGeo
    -Game Boy/Pocket/Color
    -Turbographx 16 / PCEngine
    -Nintendo 64
    -NES
    -Atari 7800
    -Wonderswan color
    -SG1000
    -Atari Jaguar
    -Game Boy Advance
    -PS1
    -Saturn
    -Dreamcast

I know we want to see a flashcart or optical device emulator for our beloved consoles, but we don't decided what is next, so if you want you can suggest any system that you like, but between that and it happens it's a long road, just lets try to avoid more topics starting like "to krikzz makeme a everdrive for...", cause basically every popular videogame system has already been asked, just be patient

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  2. Gaming2D

Gaming2D Newly Registered

I thought neogeo was not possible?

3. aleomark

aleomark Spirited Member

thats right, but it was asked, that list is only about consoles suggested in order to create a flashcart

4. alphagamer

alphagamer What is this? *BRRZZ*.. Ouch!

The NEO:DEV.TEAM (The guys behind Last Hope and Fast Striker) developed a flash cart themselves for testing their games. So it kinda is possible, although not economical.

5. 5432

5432 Rising Member

I was thinking about that kind of thread for the same reason that aleomark has mentioned. I suggest:

Nes
    GB
    N64
    Dreamcast
    ------------------
    Buena iniciativa aleomark. Yo queria abrir un hilo así porque como bien dices, hay varios hilos en los que se comenta la flashcart que uno quiere y así aqui quedan las propuestas bien recogidas.

6. Teancum

Teancum Intrepid Member

It might be nice to mention which Everdrives Krikzz is working on. For example he's shown pics of working on a N64 Everdrive. Also If I remember right he's mentioned working on a GB/GBC one, and that he has mentioned tat he would like to do a NES/FC one. Also we could mention like Gaming2D allready said that Neo Geo isn't very likely. I think some of the arguments against Neo Geo was that multi game carts are really cheap for neo geo. Also our thread where we discussed that a wonderswan cart isn't likely.

Also I know that this isn't a general flash cart forum and is meant specifically for Krikzz's carts. But it also may be productive to mention carts like the Powerpak for the nes (even though it's currently out of stock) and also the JagCF that is in development.

Atari 2600 I think would be interesting. I know that there are solutions out there all ready like the Cuttle and the Krocodile (neither of which seem to be for sale anymore.) But I would love to be able to use an atari everdrive with an sd card or compact flash..

Also miscellaneous cartridges people may be interested in are.
    Cuttle2 for the Atari 7800 (out of production)
    Cuttle3 for the Intellivision (currently being sold even)
    ColecoVision 128-in-1 Flash Mutlicart

Also I've said this many times allready but I would love to see optical disc emulators for the systems listed above.

Just my $0.02 (or maybe more like $0.25 lol) I'm just glad for all the work Krikzz has done so far.

7. veganx

veganx Dauntless Member

For atari 2600 exist the harmony cartridge. It's awesome.

8. Mamejay

Mamejay Robust Member

True. Harmony cart pretty much covers the Atari 100%
    i have one and its so awesome.

I really really really want a NES cart.

I would have thought this would be one of the most popular carts world wide.

9. Teancum

Teancum Intrepid Member

hmm haven't heard of the harmony cart.

Time to visit my friend google.

EDIT: Very nice this is exactly what I wanted. lol now i have another flash cart to add to my shopping list.

10. Greg2600

Greg2600 Fiery Member

There's already a NES cart, the original PowerPak. It's in a league of its own, it does everything, plays almost every NES/FMC game ever made, has save states, etc. Also, thanks to its many mappers, it's a challenge to program right. Now people have inquired with Krikzz about a Famicom cart, because the Powerpak won't fit in a Famicom. The issue though is similar to SMS/Mark III, they have two different cart sizes/pin configurations. He wouldn't be able to use the same PCB for both.

Given that the NES was the standard in North America, Europe, and Australia, while Asia was where they sold the Famicom, there's I think a limited base for a Famicom-only cart.

11. Teancum

Teancum Intrepid Member

Maybe Krikzz or someone else could make a gyromite converter. Then he could make a famicom everdrive. Then famicom users can have a Famicom Everdrive and then all NES owners could by the converter plus everdrive and be satisfied too. Also I'm sure the converters would sell on their own too.

12. Mamejay

Mamejay Robust Member

I know about the Powerpack.
    Its just too expensive and I like the price point and format that Krikzz uses for his cards.
    SD memory is cheap and allows you to have a whole bunch of roms ready to play as opposed to the limit memory of the powerpack.

13. G1Convoy

G1Convoy Member

Atari 2600-7800
    Nintendo/Famicom
    Nintendo 64
    ColecoVision
    Intellivision
    Commandor 64
    Vectrex
    Game Boy Advance
    GAMEBOY COLOR
    GAMEBOY

14. Greg2600

Greg2600 Fiery Member

The problem is the Gyromite converter means plastics, and plastics cost a lot more money, because you have to pay for the molding first. It would likely be much cheaper for him to just order a second type of pcb. Even though I own the PP and love it, I could see a market for a NES and Famicom board, if Krikzz is able to achieve it from the software end. Both systems remain wildly popular.

The Powerpak comes in a new see through case, which of course cost a lot more money to have made. The CF card slot also has an eject mechanism, because the NES cart is so long. If Krikzz did one, you might be forced to unscrew the case if you want to get at the SD Card. My guess is if Retro-USB sold only a board, no case, it would be much closer to the prices that Krikzz sells for. Not sure what you mean by memory limit, the NES Powerpak runs every game ever created for NES/Famicom except for I think one official mapper (33), which was very large and quite advanced, and one that unlicensed/hack (and often terrible) games used.

15. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

I want a flash cart for my M2 please kthnx.

16. MottZilla

MottZilla Guardian of the Forum

Actually because RetroZone sells the cartridges cases by themselves as well as using them for a large number of games sold on the site, the cost for them is probably quite good compared to if someone wanted to start making cases themselves from scratch. Who knows what numbers he ordered them in or what sort of deal he got on them. But if he can sell them to you for $4 then I don't see it being a major factor at all in the cost of the PowerPAK.

The PowerPAK costs alot because of the sum of its parts and also for the R&D costs which who knows if he's recouped that yet or not. Really the PowerPAK while some say it is expensive I don't think they realize the alternatives are far more expensive and less capable.

17. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

I can assure you that getting your own shells done is not cheap. Especially upfront costs. It can cost thousands of dollars just to get the molds made and then no company is going to touch you unless you plan on running thousands at a time.

So either he knows someone with injection molding equipment or he had the upfront money to do it.

Although I agree with you I think his pricing is completely fair. NES is not an easy system to make a flash cart for and the PowerPak is king. So he can ask what he wants and if people really want it they will pay.

18. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

The alternative is picking up the games you actually want to play as opposed to downloading an entire rom set and playing 99% of them never, 0.1% to completion and the rest for a few minutes, realize they're junk and never touch them again. Granted this doesn't really work for games you need translated but this whole hoarding mentality is getting out of hand.

EDIT: Well damn, without MottZilla's post it doesn't quite read like I intended.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  19. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka Staff Member

the list misses neo geo pocket/color

20. Greg2600

Greg2600 Fiery Member

Not sure Krikzz would come out ahead with Neo Geo stuff. And as SAG said, yes, the molds often cost several thousand dollars to have done for the plastics. Now, nobody twisted his arm to do so either!