Street Counter for DOS: South Korean release of Super Fighter

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Mr. Sound-About, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Mr. Sound-About

Mr. Sound-About Never let dreams die!

Hello, all.

A while back I was finally able to acquire a like-new copy of Street Counter, the South Korean release of Super Fighter. It's super-de-duper rare and in fact I only ever saw evidence of one copy --> the one I eventually bought. Took quite some time as the first time I had a friend contact the owner, there was no response. Flash forward a few years later, I decided to try again, and this time the guy was receptive to selling.

Miraculously all the 5¼" floppies worked perfectly so I was able to make a successful backup! W0w. It's based on the (also limited) English release from Australia, with a few changes. Notably, to make the USA fighter "Bullet" be from South Korea, and with a new name. Came with a Korean-language manual, albeit in black and white instead of the original color one, and new box art.

After removing the copy protection I sent the game to the webmaster of DOS Games Archive. Just didn't have time to do a proper release @ superfighter.net yet.

If you love DOS games, please download it and have a go on your DOS machine or in DOSBox...

https://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/super-fighter/

...or just download the attachment.

(Note I own the legal rights to this game, so it's not "piracy." Enjoy it guilt-free.)

Thanks for having a look.

Attached Files:

Solotaire, MoonDog, Durandal and 6 others like this.
  2. DSwizzy145

DSwizzy145 Well Known Member

Thank You very much for this release! Now i can remove the version i got on my PC and replace it with a clean dump now! :D btw, if you don't mind may i see pics of the case, floppies, manuals, etc?... I love the look of Korean PC game box cases (still looking for a couple, as i still need to buy "The Soul" and make a clean dump of that as well if it hasn't been done yet)

3. Mr. Sound-About

Sure, you're welcome. I hope you enjoy it. If you're looking for another "clean" version, DOS Games Archive also offers Fatal Encounter, which I provided after it too was deprotected "in-house."

As for photos of the product, I upped a few to Mobygames. You can have a look here...

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/super-fighter/cover-art

Sadly I don't yet own the original packaging for the Australian release, Fatal Encounter. If someone here has it or knows someone who does, LET ME KNOW so I can buy it and complete myself my set. ;)

Also: For those of you less interested in old DOS games, we produced & released FOR FREE an updated and more advanced version of Super Fighter back in 2013, for Windows. Includes new animations, "super" attacks, new soundtrack, etc., and you can find it over @ www.superfighter.net

cez and DSwizzy145 like this.
  4. Comboy

Comboy Spirited Member

Neat! Floppy games in Korea are super rare and sought after.

5. MoonDog

MoonDog Robust Member

Really cool to see this stuff being rescued from oblivion. I am also collecting early Korean PC games and as Comboy mentioned, they are extremely hard to find, let alone CiB. If anyone knows a good way of getting these, please let me know!

6. Arcadia

Arcadia Spirited Member

Wow, incredibly cool!

7. DSwizzy145

Any reason why they are so rare in comparison to CD ones?

8. MoonDog

MoonDog Robust Member

Could be lower print runs, or people just got rid of them. CD games aren't all that common either if we are talking about lesser-known titles. I have read that older games are usually traded on Korean forums and from what I've seen, auction sites will hardly ever come up with something. Let me tell you, I am at the point where paying prototype prices seems totally reasonable when the rarity of these games is taken into account.

DSwizzy145 likes this.
  9. DSwizzy145

True! yeah there are actually a few CD ones that are still undumped yet like Crayon Shin-Chan 5, 6, and 7 i believe, Anpanman 3, Mashi Maro, Getamped Kids Fighters, and a couple i have saved in my YouTube playlist that i'm searching for as well.

Have you found any undumped DOS games yourself yet by anychance?

10. MoonDog

MoonDog Robust Member

And to think some of these aren't even from the DOS era, lol. I have found one and uploaded it a while ago in the HG101 thread. The game is Black Sign which was made by an indie developer called Dreamcard. One super-rare game I am hunting for is Korean Soul (한국의 혼), pic attached. Except for this lone photo on the internet, it might not have existed at all...

Attached Files:

DSwizzy145 likes this.
  11. DSwizzy145

oh so you were the one that uploaded Black Sign! Thank You! but yeah i actually did recall finding a Mahjong floopy game similar to that package on eBay

MoonDog likes this.
  12. MoonDog

MoonDog Robust Member

Yes, and hopefully in the future there will be more to come. :)
    I do have a Taiwanese mahjong game on floppies which I bought on eBay. Not sure if it's dumped, but I will upload it once I get a 5.25" floppy drive to read it with.

Attached Files:

13. DSwizzy145

Yep, that's the Mahjong game i was talking about! Glad you bought it! :D

MoonDog likes this.
  14. MoonDog

MoonDog Robust Member

No worries :)
    I have noticed that Taiwanese/ Chinese releases are significantly easier to source than their Korean counterparts and there are some very obscure games popping up from time to time on auction sites.

15. Arcadia

Arcadia Spirited Member

Is there a vibrant market for older games in Korea?

16. MoonDog

MoonDog Robust Member

In private circles and Korean forums, mostly. But it's famicom etc, that I've seen talked about in terms of what you can expect to find if you go over there. Old PC and DOS games are scarce and some titles barely have any information online. In any case, I think that in the west there is far greater interest in retro collecting. I wouldn't mind going there one day and taking a look for myself, though.

17. DSwizzy145

Sorry to ask but what Korean forums do you frequent for your findings or posts of their collections of rare undumped Korean games?

18. MoonDog

MoonDog Robust Member

It's mostly information I've picked up from the HG101 Korean Gaming articles or by searching for the titles of the games in Hangul. I generally use Auction kr or Gmarket to buy games, but sometimes I will contact someone who might be able to source them. One place I check now and again is the nemo838 website and I'm sure there are others out there.

DSwizzy145 likes this.
  19. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

@Mr. Sound-About: Maybe this is a dumb question, but I would have thought that most of the intellectual property (Ie. Source code, resources, assets, etc) for these variants would have been transferred at time of purchase to you already. I guess the company never archived any of this, so your only recourse is to go hunting around to buy back software you legally already own, just so you can dump them?

20. Mr. Sound-About

Getting source code is pretty common. Getting source code + full graphics & sound assets is not so common. Often times we have to reverse-engineer the custom data formats in order to have these assets conveniently handy.

Companies we've dealt with have long since sold all stock of their games -- that was the goal, after all -- so there weren't any new copies lying around waiting to be mailed to us. And distribution outside the company's home country was generally not handled by them, so if there was unsold stock of the game abroad, they wouldn't have any knowledge of it.

Basically what you said in your last sentence was correct. When I buy the rights to games, I generally have to go hunting for original copies to buy, if I want to have a "clean, untainted" copy of the software + high-quality scans of the box, manual, etc. Sometimes it's quite easy to buy the games, other times I've waited years.