Strange whining noise

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by pspwill, Aug 15, 2010.

1. pspwill

pspwill Spirited Member

Since a couple of days ago my Xbox has been making a really strange high pitched whining noise when powered on. I have no idea what could be causing this but it seems to be coming from the PSU. Any idea what this is or how to fix it?

2. splith

splith Resolute Member

Probably the transformer in it. Electricity does make a sound :).
    Could also be that something is slightly touching ground/earth and shouldn't be, I had a 3KvA UPS that had some LOUD high pitch noise, unscrewed the PCBs a slight amount and the sound died away completely.
    You could try loosening the screws on the PSU very slightly? Or get another PSU? (I've got a spare ATX-style xbox PSU if you're interested that I uncovered in the shed earlier ;p)

3. BM-Viper

BM-Viper <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Also perhaps check the exhaust fan, mine made some weird noises before it gave up the ghost.

4. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

If it isn't the fan or harddrive (which sits above the PSU) it could be any number of components on the PSU that can fail such as the capacitors. Friend of mine had a Netgear router he picked up for $5 that was whining. Directed to him replace a cap that was near the power jack and it fixed the whine nicely.

PSUs are pretty cheap for the XBox, particularly if you pick one up that is a doornail otherwise.

5. pspwill

pspwill Spirited Member

PSU is now dead, lots of sparks and the horrible smell of burning electronics. No money for a new one :( I just spent all my money on a new PC.

6. splith

splith Resolute Member

Well I've got a second-hand one or two of them with the ATX-style connectors if you'd want one when you get some money, I've no idea how much PnP would be but £3 + PnP and it's yours.