SOLVED Strange issue I had on my old 60GB PlayStation 3 (YLOD/GLOD)

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by FromAllAspects, Feb 4, 2019.

1. FromAllAspects

FromAllAspects PlayStation Collector

Hi all,

I've been thinking about for the last few days (this problem happened back in 2016), but I remember taking photos of a specific problem that would always plague this system. It would almost always artifact the screen with corrupted graphics when this happened (possible RSX failure??). I remember I took it in for a repair and when I got it back, there was no video output (on both HDMI and AV) and no fan output (it was dead) (someone possibly scratched the Cell Broadband Processor die or excessive shock to the system?). The console would shut down after 30 seconds.

I'll send an image of the error that I got before it went in for a repair (it's a strange one and I'm not sure if you guys will know what it is; every time it happened, it would freeze the entire system and beep three times if you attempted to shut it down). Let me know if you may have found the problem and I'll get back to you straight away.

If it helps, it was a 2007 (7A date code) PlayStation 3. Model number CECHC02. Everything was factory stock (it even had the original warranty sticker intact).

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects
    PS3 problem.jpg image (1).jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  2. FromAllAspects

I can finally put this mystery to rest now, after nearly 3 years. Thanks to @Intrenz for explaining what the cause to this strange issue was. It turns out that the RSX chip had a problem in terms of the die. It may have been caused by improper heating and cooling (more than likely caused by the previous owner who had this console. It either spent most of its life outside or in a media cabinet; it had red dust in it when I inspected it, so I'm thinking the outside environment exposure was the cause), causing bumps to form on the RSX die. I've never had this problem happen before and hopefully I never will again. Thanks again to @Intrenz . You're a legend!

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

Intrenz likes this.
  3. bart_simpson

bart_simpson Dauntless Member

Did this get fixed in the end with a replacement rsx

4. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

Looks Out of This World.

5. FromAllAspects

Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately I decided to give up on it as it has been so long and I just became disappointed with it dying.

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

6. FromAllAspects

Indeed it does. Hahaha.

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects