Storm Riders for XBOX.

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Museman, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Museman

Museman Spirited Member

A while ago I bought a debug kit, and basically it came with a 240v power supply, and the guy never bothered to get it working. Basically I replaced the power supply and got it powered up, and this game called "Storm Riders" was on the debug menu. Being a huge XBOX original fan, I had never heard of this game and curious to what it is. Basically, from what I can tell from it, it's a Japanese RPG game that might be based off a movie from 1998 (called The Storm Riders), not positive though. There is also a game that was called "Storm Riders Online" that was an MMORPG, that didn't appear to be that big of a hit. Not sure if they are related.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this game, or if anyone knows anything about it. I'm fairly certain that this game is a prototype that hasn't been released because I couldn't find anything about it, and I'm also fairly certain that this game has never seen the light of day. But, there seems to be a lot of people located in Japan from here that might be able to help me out, because I'm 100% sure this game was developed in Japan. I'll upload a ton of photos below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can upload more if people are interested.

CodeAsm and Shinebi like this.
  2. RichardX

RichardX Peppy Member

Looks interesting, thanks for the pictures!

3. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

I'm also curious about this one - Doesn't anyone else know anything about it?

Would you be interested in sharing a dump? (just a thought)

CodeAsm likes this.
  4. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

:love2: Wauw man, Xbox games that are almost to unkown or unreleased are Gold and diamonds to me.
    :thumbsup: More pictures, info or even filez somehow is greatly appreciated. And also Links2004 is just the final version?

5. Shinebi

Shinebi Dauntless Member

... so yeah, I'm interested in a share? :p
    (5 stars gotta give something)

CodeAsm likes this.
  6. PSPdemon

PSPdemon Peppy Member

This looks very similar to Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox.... ( in terms of menu and hud )
    examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  7. Museman

Museman Spirited Member

You know, I was reading up on this game a little bit. It seams to be pretty inline with everything I've seen. The company that made it is called Tecmo, located in Japan, and the game was in development for 5 years. Not to mention the item menu look almost identical in terms of content, and the HUD look kind of the same.

Also those fences (I know it sounds weird to pick these of all things) look pretty similar to the game. Maybe it's just a really early prototype of Ninja Gaiden.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  8. CodeAsm

;-) Maybe we/you can look at code differences. texture yes, but if indeed early version maybe some overall or small bits are the same.

I say IDA or similar.

9. Museman

Museman Spirited Member

I'll try and take a look at the code myself. I don't plan on releasing it right now, or at least until I find out what it actually is. :p

Also, I'll see if I can get a copy of Ninja Gaiden, and try to compare it to whatever I have, and see if they are similar.

10. CodeAsm

Also try putting it in cxbx for some output.
    ;-) With SDK it compiled in, with dependencies it relies on and such.

And we can compare those to Ninja gaiden :p that game also got compiled some day with some tools with some structure with cxbx can output.
    I also see Ninja Gaiden isnt on the list yet: http://shogun3d-cxbx.blogspot.com/2009/11/cxbx-compatibility-list-updated.html
    so maybe ill go buy that awesome game at GameMania soon just because I dont own that game yet.

ow and I love to see your progress ofcoarse :D

11. blueshogun96

blueshogun96 Robust Member

Would like to see a dump of this sometime!

This. I also recommend loading this up with the latest SVN build of Cxbx, not just to see if it emulates, but to see a detailed dump of the .xbe's attributes. I'm curious to know what XDK this game uses.

12. pato

pato Resolute Member

There is a game called storm riders online, based on a hong kong manga that have also many movies.

But it was closed in 2006 and then ressurected later with the original title, fung wan

This character in the screenshot is the same one on these xbox demo screens, just look at the tatoo, so indeed it was based on the manga, and maybe was even evolved to fung wan online.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
    Shinebi likes this.
  13. Museman

Museman Spirited Member

Yeah, that character looks exactly like the character from Storm Riders (minus the cape and the hair). And the symbols look pretty much the same.

I played Ninja Gaiden, and I honestly I didn't see much similarity in the seventh chapter. I didn't test the code for similarities.

But like I said, the protagonist looks pretty much the same minus the exceptions.

So it's still looking like a game that was never released.

14. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

Ya, this is based off the Chinese novel. You can tell by the character names. Had no idea they were developing a game for it though. I can certainly see why it was left unreleased.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  15. Christer-swe

Christer-swe Fiery Member

Thanks for sharing pictures. Looks like a fighting orientated RPG, like Shenmue?

16. Museman

Museman Spirited Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More pics.

O yeah, I forgot to say. There are some what destructible enviroments and the doors in this game are fucking huge.

17. Christer-swe

Christer-swe Fiery Member

Looks really cool. How finished is it? 49.77 MB is not alot. Is it just one map, or could you complete it?

18. Museman

Museman Spirited Member

Double Post Merge

It's only one map.

OK, so I've been playing some more Ninja Gaiden, and can't really find any other concrete similarities between the games, other than the menu which is nearly identical (assets may have been carried over to another game). There are some small similarities (like the fences, HUD, and the lava kind of look the same), but honestly it's similar to a lot of Japanese RPGs, and there is nothing that absolutely distinguish that they have anything to do with each other.

So I'm just going to label it an unreleased prototype.

I'd be interested in doing a community dump, if I can get out the money out of what I paid for the Debug kit that came with the game ($150) which seems to be a pretty fair price from what I've seen (for an unreleased proto). I don't know if I can do a community dump, considering the low amount of posts I have, so someone let me know if I have to get it approved by someone.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2011
  19. browzers

browzers Spirited Member

The main characters name is Cloud.... ?

20. Museman

Museman Spirited Member

I have no idea, it's not mentioned anywhere.