Steam Save Backup

Discussion in 'Computer Gaming Forum' started by erfg12, Jan 25, 2017.

1. erfg12

erfg12 Rising Member

This is a free program I'm developing and I wanted to know what everyone thinks.

Steam currently stores some game save backups on their server if the developer chooses. But, a good example is Armikrog. That game is a big puzzle adventure game with almost no steam features (achievements, save backups, etc). This is where my program will help out the most.

FEATURES
    • Automatically backs up the game after exiting. (option in settings)
    • Automatically restores back ups when starting games. (option in settings)
    • Automatically detects when games are installed and uninstalled.
    • Starts on system startup (option in settings).
    • Can manually backup and restore at any time.
    • All saves manageable from your personal cloud storage website.
    • No setup required. Just install, adjust preferences if needed.
    • 100% free to use. No malware, viruses, adware or spyware.
    • New supported game saves added from server, no updates needed.
    • Supports multiple Steam Content Library directories.
    • Multiple backups with time/date names with maximum setting.
    • GoogleDrive, OneDrive and DropBox cloud services supported.
    Once you launch this program it will ask you to select a cloud storage provider (GoogleDrive, OneDrive and DropBox). Once you select the provider and you authenticate the program with your account via OpenAuth, the program will download the XML data from my server. Then it opens the Steam program registries to read your Steam Library locations. Then it detects what folders are in those libraries and matches it with the xml data file. The XML file has lots of information about those games including process names and dynamic save locations.

So for example, if you launch a game the program knows you started a specific game. It will check the cloud provider for a backup file. If the backup file exists, it will suspend the game's process, restore the files, then let the game continue. Once the game process is closed, steam save backup will pack up a .zip archive, name it according to time, date and device, then upload it to its location on the cloud service.

The cloud service will have the following directory hierarchy "SteamSaveBackup/GameName/DateTimeDevice.zip". These zip files can also be manually restored if for some reason SteamSaveBackup stops working. When opening the .zip you will see dynamic folder names given by Windows. Things like %USERPROFILE% and locations named by my program like %STEAM% which would simply mean steam's folder location.

Within the program you can set things like maximum backups (this will delete older backups once it reaches that max number), and auto save restore when games start. You can also select a backup time/date/device and restore it at any time.

The 1 down side is I have to program in all the save locations and process names for every game. Luckily websites like http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home and https://steamdb.info/ exist to help. However, I have found some of the information to either be false or not up to date. So, I need help from people. Anyone willing to share information about their games like process names and save locations would help out tremendously. I am available at my Discord chat room https://discord.gg/ehjN2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rso

rso °

Haven't actually tried it out yet (well derp, only just noticed there isn't even a download, sooo.... :p), but I like the idea.

One minor nitpick, those green log lines would be easier to read in a different shade, maybe a lighter green. Or better yet that light blue from the "upload" button - everything green sticks out a bit from your color scheme.

Do you take feature requests? I'm not a big fan of "the cloud", so how about WebDAV (that you (that is, the user) could host yourself) as another storage backend? And maybe a possibility to also make a second backup of the cloud-enabled games' saves there, for good measure (and later restoration of old saves).

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  3. erfg12

erfg12 Rising Member

These screenshots are a bit dated. I'll have to check on that green color to see if I changed it.

I don't have any NAS devices to test with. How does WebDAV work? I could implement an FTP option for people who don't want to use cloud services.

4. rso

rso °

Afaik WebDAV is basically HTTP with a few extensions to push files onto the server without the need for CGI scripts or whatever. You should be able to get away with not much more than basic HTTP auth and a modified POST, I think.
    Actually, you know what? Scratch all that, it's not even necessary. Just write stuff to a local path and leave it to the user to mount whatever he wants there, thumbstick, network drive, what-have-you. There's more than enough ways to do that with FTP (I think), WebDAV, network shares (obviously), as well as loads of other protocols.