StarCraft: Ghost

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Null2009, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Rabid Peanut-Butter

Rabid Peanut-Butter <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

I actually became very interested in this when the Metal Arms team became involved. Metal Arms was awesome and I would have definitely their other efforts.

2. Dot50Cal

Dot50Cal Moderator

Woah woah, I dont own it, Im just asking if whoever does might be interested in doing a public release.

I'd be willing to donate to that.

3. OtakupunkX

OtakupunkX Active Member

A friend of mine played a near-complete version at Blizzcon last year, I want to say (was Blizzcon last year?). He only got to play multiplayer, and his Xbox ended up crashing, but I believe the group he was with (a high profile World of Warcraft website) took pictures of the game. I will see if I can dig anything up, I do remember seeing a picture of him in the Ghost area of the con with the crashed Xbox as it rebooted the game, but that's about it.

Apparently multiplayer was like a much arcadier Battlefield 1942 with the obligatory Starcraft elements meticulously thrown in for added effect. I remember him saying that you could switch between third and first person perspectives, and the control was very Halo-esque. Single-player wise, it was supposed to play a whole lot like single-player Splinter Cell. There were Ghost abilities such as nukes and such at apropriate times, but other than that it was supposed to be very Splinter Cell-esque. I do not believe there were any Deus Ex-esque RPG elements, and the success (or lack thereof) of that title had nothing to do with Ghost being cancelled, as they are two incredibly different titles for two incredibly different fanbases (One basically amounts to a first-person RPG with shooter elements and the other's a third person stealth game, come on). I also want to note that the Gamecube version was dropped for pre-order by GameStop around 2004/2005-ish.

There is probably no hope for a beta disc of the version shown at Blizzcon since the game was apparently booted from the hard disk of the dev Xboxes (this was discovered when people from Blizzard had to reboot my friend's game).

4. jccochez

jccochez that's why i'm here.

I think that the game will probably came out on Next Gen.

after all, warcraft III took 4 or 5 Years to be completed...

5. Haruglory

Haruglory Spirited Member

Warcraft never had so many issues, and never faced platform conversion...

6. Carnivol

Carnivol Dauntless Member

Sure about that?
    The Debug kit's launcher displays the executables and size info for games present in the optical drive too, not just for stuff on the harddrive.

But the Warcraft franchise had "Warcraft Adventures - Lord of the Clans" going for awhile.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  7. TransatlanticFoe

TransatlanticFoe Rapidly Rising Member

I remember when this game was the cover story of an issue of Game Informer in 2002....quite a long time ago. It's too bad we never saw it released, but then again, i'm not surprised, it IS Blizzard after all. If it "didnt' feel like Starcraft" no matter how good it was, there is no way they would have let it release in it's current form.

8. TransatlanticFoe

TransatlanticFoe Rapidly Rising Member

I can also confirm this, as I was working at EB games at the time. In early 2006, (or it could have been late 2005, sorry....I don't really remember) the GC release was cancelled, as I remember being a bit bummed about it. I decided i'd just settle for the Xbox port, when shortly after, the game was cancelled all together. Or to be more specific, put on "indefinite hiatus". Some people belive the game will emerge on next gen, but who really knows. I like the idea of it being released as a GC title with Wii controls that somebody else mentioned (seeing as Zelda:TP started the trend, why not continue it for a little while?), or a Wii title with GC controls. Either or would work for me.

9. Nitro734

Nitro734 Peppy Member

I played Starcraft Ghost at E3 2005 on both the Gamecube and Xbox. Being a Nintendo fan I gave the cube version special attention, and even requested a Blizzard employee come and show me the ropes.

The game (at least the portion that we were playing) was pretty much flawless. The engine seemed complete, the level design was solid and the gameplay was pretty smooth (could ahve used a little work, but was very admirable for an E3 showing). It is understandable that the GC version was dropped, because Blizzard was hoping to have the online portion of the game as a main feature.

Blizz had a decent amount of floorspace dedicated to the game, I doubt that they would have stuck most of their high-level dev hardware on the show floor. Just speculation, but I would guess there are GC NR discs somewhere in a vault with this version of the game. Similar statements can be made for PS2 and Xbox as well.

10. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I thought it was primarily for gamecube

11. Haruglory

I remember at one time, when developpers kept believing in GC (hahaha), Blizzard was much communicating on Starcraft Ghost on gamecube : I remember the biggest french video game magazine making in their special summer issue of 2002 a huge article of 6 pages about Starcraft Ghost they played on GC. So it's sure there are many versions floating around but there are also many versions to get since the game have passed in hands of three differents devs, each one having almost completed the game.

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  12. babu

babu Mamihlapinatapai

So you actually had the patient to stand in line for it? I was like "of f--k that!" with almoast every line I saw. :lol:
    The only one I actually stood in line for was the Square showing where you needed a ticket.

13. Gamemaster14XIV

Gamemaster14XIV The Master of All Games

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  14. Haruglory

Yeah sure but except on PS2 and Wii, the game can't be released at all anymore. Or it need conversion for next-gen, which is going to be very much expensive for a bad looking game...

15. black sheep

black sheep Robust Member

Here is some gameplay from the E3 of 2003 + exclusive English interview with Dutch press.
    Might be interesting for some members.

Syclopse likes this.