Spyro 5 (Cancelled Check Six Title)

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by dancapman, Aug 20, 2015.

1. xaeroxcore

xaeroxcore Rapidly Rising Member

Can you tell us. please, how almost happened that Spyro could land on DC?
    And how do you think it would look? too much different from the PS2 versions?

2. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

He just said he couldn't say anything more than what he did.
    Even if he had the information you're asking for, he couldn't divulge that to us. NDAs are no joke.

3. dancapman

dancapman Member

I cannot say anything about my current work status, which games I worked on at my current company, etc. MBMM is right about Non Disclosure Agreements.

As for the Dreamcast, we were simply told by our superiors at C6 that we had to design and make a dreamcast tech demo. (This never happened though!) Had it happened, it wouldn't have looked as good as it did on PS2. Dreamcast didn't have very impressive graphics.
    Regardless it probably wouldn't have happened. It would have been released too late for that. It was more likely there would have been a PSone version.

Another thing, some more interesting tidbits I can reveal is that Elora would have returned in Spyro ETDF but didn't, so we planned to have her come back in Spyro 5. She in Spyro ETDF was supposed to be found in the first realm. I am not entirely sure why we scrapped her. Her voice actress returned to voice Zoey the fairy, so it would have been simple. She was intended to give Spyro hints around the game, like she did in Spyro 2. Agent 9 was also supposed to return but he was actually cut at last second.

Another cool thing we can reveal was Tom Kenny almost did not reprise his role as Spyro, due to conflicts in his schedule. Universal started lining up people to take over the role and they almost had Vincent Corazza to take over the role as a temp stand in due to his similar, but not identical, sounding voice to Tom. (In case you don't know, Vincent voiced Carlos in Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, as well as Zexion in the Kingdom Hearts franchise.) At last minute however, Tom signed onto the project. Ironically this happened again with Spyro A Heros Tail, except this time Tom really didn't return and was replaced permanently.

4. MBMM

Very cool. It's awesome to hear about all of what was to come, even if it's disappointing that it never saw the light of day.

Are you friends with anybody who worked on the PS Spyro titles?

5. austint30

austint30 Member

I wonder what ETD would look like if it had a ps1 version. It would've been so cool to see ETD with classic ps1 graphics!

Btw, Crop Circle Country scared me so much as a kid, I didn't play ETD for about a year! At the start of the level you walk into what looks like a big empty field until all of the sudden THEY APPEAR IN FRONT OF ME with their Lazer guns holy **** that scared me so badly!

Eventually I got over it after I played Metroid Prime.

6. austint30

austint30 Member

Dan, do you really enjoy your job? I'm thinking about getting a major in Video Game design and get a career making video games. Do you recommend it?

7. MBMM

Not to go off-topic or sound rude, but you should really edit your posts as opposed to double post. Just a heads up.

8. TreblaYevrah

TreblaYevrah Site Supporter 2014,2015

It wasn't that long ago that I replayed Enter the Dragonfly on Gamecube. I've always respected it for at least feeling like a proper Spyro game, and I'm sure that with a little more development time, it could have stood proudly with the PSX games.

On the subject of development, do you have any information on the infamous "Enchanted Forest" stage? It's one of the few unused level names that can still be found on the disc, but any files related to it seem to be long gone (if they ever were there to begin with).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  9. austint30

austint30 Member

Sorry, I've got a lot on my mind.

10. austint30

austint30 Member

It's been a few days and nobody said anything.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  11. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

He works. This isn't his priority. I sent a PM as well and he hasn't replied so it's clear he hasn't been here in a bit. Just wait patiently and he'll return

12. MBMM

Good advice. People do have lives outside of here, you know.

Once again double posting. We have an "Edit" button for a reason. It's not difficult to use. Also, don't be so rude and entitled. "ECHO!!!" comes off a bit jerkish. Remember, he's not getting paid to be on here answering questions. He's taking time that could be spent elsewhere to better the site. It's this kind of behavior that keeps people from wanting to come here and share with us.

13. austint30

austint30 Member

Yea, sorry if I'm seeming to be a little jerkish. I don't mean it to be that way. I guess I have too much spare time.

14. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

If only you knew what my free time was like you'd be amazed.

But no worries, he'll return to answer more stuff as it comes.

15. dancapman

dancapman Member

I return bearing news that you will all enjoy! :)

I talked with one of the members of the former development team over skype (Who now lives in Ashland, PA), and we talked over some things and I had some of the information incorrect. I would like to correct that.

1. Spyro ETDF was only being tested on Dreamcast as a fun side project. It was never intended for public release. There was a tech demo that existed but only one copy was available and was destroyed after we disbanded.

2. Spyro ETDF was also intended for a Gameboy Advance counterpart using the same engine as Spyro Season Of Ice. It would have been developed by Digital Eclipse, however.

Also, he told me that he might come around here soon to talk about it and show videos. Since he is not tied to any company related to the project anymore he has nothing to worry about.

A couple.

It was actually a world from the second homeworld. This is where Agent 9 would be seen in game.

speedyink likes this.
  16. MBMM

It sounds contrived, but my sister is playing ETDF right now because I mentioned this thread to her. Funny how that works haha. Thanks for popping back on!
    Ahh, that's a shame. Not to pry, but was there any particular reason it was destroyed? I assume for safety.
    That's great! Any information he can give will be greatly appreciated.

ETDF seemed through both the released game itself and the original plans as very true to the first 3 games. I was just curious as to how they currently feel about Spyro both with ETDF and beyond. The franchise has seemingly been left by the wayside.

I know I've probably been obnoxious with all my questions, but what was the biggest hindrance in finalizing the game once the release was set in stone? I remember the framerate being a point of contention.

Thanks again for being so open and kind with us. It's really cool to be able to get in touch with people who made the games many of us played and enjoyed.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  17. CrystalFissure

CrystalFissure Newly Registered

This information is incredible. Thanks so much for sharing. A lot of the diehard Spyro fans have been wishing to know more about Spyro: EtD for years, because it basically marked the end of "original" Spyro gameplay. Even A Hero's Tail changed things in an annoying way and it didn't feel the same.

I have a few little questions if you don't mind:

1. What happened to the level Enchanted Forest/Emerald Forest? It appears there was music created for it by Stewart Copeland, and hidden in the game's files there is evidence that the dragonfly names for that level were made, as well as some dialogue: https://tcrf.net/Spyro:_Enter_the_Dragonfly_(PlayStation_2)

2. If you wanted more time, wasn't it always going to be doomed because there was only 15% of the game done? Why didn't you decide to slim down to a Spyro 2 style game, where the levels are smaller, but they're ultra detailed and nuanced? One of the big criticisms of the game is that it feels a little empty at times, because there's heaps of space.

3. Is there anyone else who can provide more info about the game's development? You're obviously held down due to employment with another big company, so I understand why you have to be careful. But was there any other people who could share info and maybe even pictures / videos.

Thanks again for your time.

18. xaeroxcore

xaeroxcore Rapidly Rising Member

And do you have any information of how it looked?

19. dancapman

dancapman Member

It was destroyed because it was unofficial, and we developed it in our free time. We could have gotten into license trouble.
    My personal opinion, is that Spyro as a series is long dead and buried. Activision owns the IP and has no intention to revive it. Me and many others in the company I work for related to Activision have pitched ideas for revivals at many times. Activision turns every single pitch of a new Spyro title down. I believe I heard down the grapevine at work that Sanzaru Games pitched a new Spyro game for Playstation Vita and Nintendo 3DS, but it was turned down because of Skylanders.

1. The forest was a Homeworld 2 level. The music WAS created, and the level was also created. It was wiped from the disc when Homeworld 2 was dropped. Copeland did make music for it, because the level was up and running. Copeland always played the levels before composing because he wanted to get the feel for it to make his music match the level. The level was fully playable. The reason for it being playable, while Homeworld 2 wasn't even developed, was because the forest was actually a Homeworld 1 level on initial conception. The entrance to the level would have actually been a large cluster of trees near the Dragon Element Statue. If I recall correctly, you would walk toward the cluster and a tree would "Launch" you into the air on a log, and the loading screen would show Spyro flying on a log.

2. With more Time, we could have done Homeworld 2, used the Enchanted Forest level, some levels from homeworld one would be moved to homeworld 2, the crush and gulp battles would have been in the game, and it would have been a much larger game. Bugs would have been ironed out too.

3. The other person should be signing up here soon, so stay tuned! :)

It looked the same as retail, without bloom and shine.

20. myroot

myroot Member

Would it be possible for any of your friends who aren't tied to the company to release art tools such as map editors etc for Enter The dragonfly?