Sprite List Code Messed Up

Discussion in 'Sega Discussion' started by Scorpion Illuminati, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Scorpion Illuminati

Scorpion Illuminati Scorpion Illuminati Lead Developer(Site Supporter)

I am having this weird problem where the sprite is changing randomy and soft locking the game. ClearSprites and AddSprite are both subroutines that I have written myself based on some notes written I wrote based on a conversation I had with Sik. While UpdateSprites is just a modification of LoadSpriteTables.
    Code:
    ; *************************************************************
    ; ClearSprite
    ; Clears the sprite counter
    ClearSprites:
        move.b #0, (sprite_count)                                                  ; set sprite count to 0
        rts

; AddSprite
    ; Adds a sprite to the sprite table and increments counter
    ; d0 - sprites y position
    ; d1 - width and height tile bits
    ; d2 - special (flipping, palette index, priority)
    ; d3 - tile id
    ; d4 - sprites x position
    ; a0 - sprite table
    AddSprite:
        move.b (sprite_count), d5                                              ; sprint count in d5
        move.b d5, d6                                                              ; d6 is used to calculate the sprite table offset
        cmp #80, d5                                                                ; are there too many sprites in the table already?
        blt SpriteLimitNotReached                                               ; if not branch
        rts                                                                              ; return
    SpriteLimitNotReached:
        lsl.b #$03, d6                                                               ; calculate sprite table offset (sprite count * sprite size)
        add.w d6, a0                                                                ; increment address by offset
        move.w d0, (a0)                                                            ; move sprites y position into table
        addq.l #4, a0                                                                ; increment address by a word
        move.b d1, (a0)                                                            ; move sprites demensions into table
        addq.l #2, a0                                                                ; increment address by a byte
        move.b d2, (a0)                                                            ; save sprites special bits in table
        addq.l #2, a0                                                                ; increment address by a byte
        addq.l #1, d5                                                                ; increment d5(sprite_count) by 1
        move.b d5, (a0)                                                            ; index of next sprite is d5(sprite_count +1)
        move.b d3, (a0)                                                            ; save sprites tile id in table
        move.w d4, a0                                                              ; save sprites x position in table
        addq #1, (sprite_count)                                                  ; increment sprite counter by 1
        rts

; Updates and draws the sprite table
    UpdateSprites:
        lea (spritelist_table), a0                                                 ; sprite table in a0
        move.b (sprite_count), d0                                              ; load sprite counter into d0
        and.l #0x000000FF, d0
        mulu.w #SizeSpriteDesc, d0                                           ; Offset into sprite table
        swap d0                                                                     ; To upper word
        or.l #vdp_write_sprite_table, d0                                      ; Add to write address
        move.l d0, vdp_control                                                  ; Set read address

move.l (a0)+, vdp_data                                                 ; 8 bytes of data
        move.l (a0)+, vdp_data
        rts

Code:
    LoadSpriteTables:
       ; a0 --- Sprite data address
       ; d0 (b) Number of sprites

move.l   #vdp_write_sprite_table, vdp_control

and.l   #0x000000FF, d0
       subq.b   #0x1, d0           ; Minus 1 for counter
       @AttrCopy:
       move.l   (a0)+, vdp_data    ; 8 bytes of data
       move.l   (a0)+, vdp_data
       dbra   d0, @AttrCopy

rts

Notes:
    Code:
    OK so you want an arbitrary number of sprites
    1) Reserve 640 bytes in RAM for a table *Complete*

2) Make a ClearSprites function that sets the sprite count to 0 *Complete?*

3) Make an AddSprite function that inserts a sprite into the table
    (may want to check that there aren't too many sprites, i.e. 80)

4) Make an UpdateSprites function that loads the table to VRAM
    :P

Incrementing a0
    addq.l #1, a0

Replace #1 with a value from 1 to 8
    Or replace addq with add if you need a larger value
    :v

Storing offset to a0
    lea (a0,d5.w), a0
    -or-
    add.w d5, a0

Pick either
    Both do the job here

Then every frame:
    1) Call ClearSprites at the beginning
    2) Call AddSprite for every sprite you want to draw
    3) Call UpdateSprites at the end
    You don't need to keep track of sprites once added.
    Also if you do run into the limit (80 sprites), huuuuh, I'd say to just drop the excess sprites (i.e. just return without adding them)

Here is a link to the ROM in case you wanna see what i mean.

Sincerely,

Scorpion Illuminati