Space Junk Imagitec Design:Sega CD/Atari Falcon/Jaguar CD

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by LD, Aug 15, 2017.

1. LD

LD Peppy Member

post-1-0-77611400-1468524038.jpg segaforce1800018_1.jpg segaforce1800019_1.jpg segaforce1800020_1.jpg segaforce1800021_1.jpg Another Imagitec Design title i followed through the years, having seen it being used as a showcase game for the Atari Falcon on UK TV show, Gamesmaster (brief look at game, plus the model making) and through the Sega Press...

*Big thanks to:

http://www.smspower.org/forums/13302-TheHumansTheVikingChildGG

For the sega Pro scan.

Sega Force scans are from my own collection.

Another title that switched formats..Falcon version seeming to be the most advanced...but neededing a CD format to continue further development i guess? the playable demo alone put put at 4Mb?

I know the artists involved told the RetroGamer Freelancer they still have the various Character head models used, cardboard backdrops etc from the game, so at least everything hasn't been lost.

The Sega Force article gives a nice, in depth look at the game.

2. LD

LD Peppy Member

Going from Scott Stilphen's Atari documentation:

Space Junk..appears, but is listed as being REMOVED by Atari, as they hadn't recieved any new scripts from Imagitec

Memorandium dated Feb 27 1995.Pending titles and agreements..to: Distubution, from Jon Correll..(J.Skruch also listed)..

It also appears on a software development Status report:Feb 3 1995 PIN j(045.. Producer:J Skruch.Status..No contract or script..remove from schedule.

So it's possible, like Creature shock, Atari simply got fed up with waiting for these titles... and moved on...

Martin Hooley told a RetroGamer Freelancer it was canned because it was obvious Jaguar CD was going to flop, they would never recoup the investment....

Nothing said on Sega CD version.

Imagitec Design either picked a lot of wrong horses..Falcon, Sega CD and Jaguar CD or this was simply caught in development hell.

3. KGRAMR

KGRAMR Gaming aficionado raised by family & friends.

Here's another apport from me for this other Imagitec game (since i'm a fan of their Jag titles):
    Space Junk for the Jaguar CD would've been a straight port of the Atari Falcon version. Imagitec put the game on hold as they were not getting paid by Atari and then Atari cancelled the Jaguar not long after and all games in production with it. The Jaguar CD version was around half finished when it was canned. The prototype is sadly lost for the moment...one of the key members of the team still has the alien models on her house :)

4. LD

LD Peppy Member

I'm really not sure why you don't post the names of the
    coders and artists you quote from..but that's your choice.

This lady did a FB interview for the RG article and talked of having the material at her house I seem to recal..

http://www.c64.com/gt_display_interview.php?interview=23

You've said here Imagitec made the decision to put game on hold as they were not getting paid..well Atari would only pay them once a milestone was reached..so if Imagitec hadn't delivered revised scripts or latest code by an agreed date..Atari wouldn't release funding..

And again I am confused by the comment you made in the Freelancer thread..

You present a scenario where Imagitec aren't getting money coming in from Atari..so put the Falcon port of Space Junk on hold...

Yet around same time tell Atari they won't be using the Doom Engine Atari have paid for them to use in another Jaguar CD game they are waiting for...instead they are going to use an advanced version of I-war engine which they have developed knowing the Jaguar is failing at retail.?

These are direct from coder claims..not someone repeating something they think they were told?

Can you put up a link please so we can read the comments in context?

Ta.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  5. KGRAMR

You probably know who they are so why list their names :) ?

6. LD

LD Peppy Member

probably because having already credited all my sources, put imagery up etc for people to decide for themselves..i'm not the 1 jumping in with speculation about Imagitec using the I-war engine, without a shred of credible evidence?

And ahem..the LINK in the post takes you to the interview with Kristi Louise Heard?

Thought that was obvious.

I'm calling it:

Come on K..if you have proof of your claims, please post it.It's really time to p*ss or get off the pot..this dancing around threads and my comments on YT etc..has run it's course.

I knew you'd be the 1st and probably only poster in these 2 Imagitec Design threads..so time to present your evidence Sir...

If your just going on a claim made by a contact of yours..you should of presented it as it as such.

7. KGRAMR

I just gave my two cents about these games by Imagitec, Jesus...

8. LD

LD Peppy Member

A friend of mine lent me his copy of RG Issue 111...

From The Archives...IMAGITEC DESIGN...

Sub section:

The Atari Age...

Space Junk:Sharon Dunford (who'm i contacted myself, did put Q's to at 1 point, but she declined to answer due to sickness, but did say she'd been part of the group FB interview done for RG)....Julian and Andrew Seed with Nigel Conroy quoted/mentioned...

Talk of game using 16 bit flat shaded polys for space flight section other section being point n click adventure...

Staff wearing latex masks, still having them...Andrew and Nigel taking over after Julian left company, Andrew expanding on demo by doing a Star Wars style scroller...Nigel expanding the point n click adventure side.

The Sega CD version wasn't even mentioned, at all....

Along with Martin Randall, Barry Leitch and Kristi Lousie Herd etc..,this was all there was in realation to this game.

The Freelancer info, which was a case of what wasn't actually said..i've put up in the Freelancer thread.

But closing message in there goes here as well.

i'm more than well aware of exactly what's been going on by certain parties, more than willing to make my case with realms of supporting evidence, to any of the MODS on here, if i encounter any more deliberate attempts at what's been going on the past few weeks here.

I'm putting a lot of distance between myself and Atari research..

Hopefully the various projects i've assisted with, will come to light and i'll be back here to let people know where they are if they do go live...

But JSIII etc can get their thrills somewhere else

9. KGRAMR

I really do not know what kind of game are you playing, but if it suits you well then there you go. I just gave my part about what i know about the game (thanks to one RG writer who had the luck of talking to former members of Imagitec Design). And for the record, in JSIII there's almost all the people who worked at Atari & ex-developers who programmed for the system so i do know many stuff thanks to them.

10. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

You guys should get a room

11. KGRAMR

Don't worry, i just gave my apport to this thread and i'm done so no need for a room XD

12. LD

LD Peppy Member