South Park for original XBOX

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by qixmaster, Aug 21, 2014.

1. qixmaster

qixmaster Newly Registered

Hello all! long time lurker here at assembler, first time poster.

I picked up an original xbox development kit (XDK) the other day from my local mom and pop game store. got home and started messing around with the XBE files and found three separate files titled spark.

each one booted and to my surprise, the workings of an unknown/unheard of South Park game for Xbox. Apparently the system came from Buzz Monkey, who is now owned by Zynga (yay!) The South Park game is open world style, similar to GTA and kind of reminds me of Simpsons Hit and Run. One screen shot shows a "Triangle" button which appears, which tells me this game may have also had a PS2 counterpart.

There were also some titles of some other weird, unfinished games/workings - one titled cavegirl (no history, big hooters on the silhouetted chica) and the other titled happy (which appears to be Happy Feet, which also never had a release on xbox - this is just a Cinema)

i've uploaded some photos here - http://smg.photobucket.com/user/qixmaster/library/xbox development kit?sort=3&page=3
    Link to unreleased Cinema from game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2s8LlbwdCY&feature=youtu.be

my brother in law and I attempted to FTP them (the files) to my computer for backup, but it appears this system is pretty locked-down.

is there any good way to get these files from this machine? I don't know jack shit about xbox dev stuff. Did i do good? happy to share photos of the actual system if anyone wants to see it - it's very clean!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  2. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Borman shall contact you with the FTP tools, or instruct you on how to backup the data. Don't fuck around with the unit too much until you do this, as it maybe rare data.

3. Pikkon

Pikkon "Moving in Stereo"

A easy way is to patch avalaunch to debug,burn to disc and ftp away.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  4. kennypecheur

kennypecheur Site Supporter 2016

Awsome ! Nice done !

5. kyo86sg

kyo86sg Intrepid Member

Paging for Borman! Please kindly assist on this matter~

6. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Shoot me a PM. What sort of operating system are you running currently? If you dont feel like tinkering, Ill gladly help you work something out.

7. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

Very interesting find, definitely early based on plain models. For some reason looks like it took some design cues from the 64 game.

8. CandieC

CandieC Spirited Member

WOW that south park game looks awesome!

9. emmanu878

emmanu878 Member

It really looks like Simpsons Hit and Run !

10. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

This was indeed a great find. Looked pretty promising from what I saw. Can't wait to see if this can be playable. Thanks!

11. InnocentSam

InnocentSam Spirited Member

Looks extremely interesting, as both a fan of Simpsons Hit and Run and South Park. Hope you release it! :)

12. qixmaster

qixmaster Newly Registered

big thanks to borman for helping my brother in law and me in removing the files. they are successfully safe from any sort of corruption.

just found a cut scene video with full audio. i'll be posting it up on youtube here soon.

it looks as if it was totally in the works. VERY interesting stuff :D
    as far as what i plan on doing with the stuff, that is up in the air.

stay tuned!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  13. geluda

geluda <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Very curious and nice find, look forward to hearing more!

14. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Can't wait for the video. Good to hear everything has been backed up successfully. Keep us posted with anything!

15. Galdius

Galdius Intrepid Member

What an amazing find.
    I also hope you release it.
    Post the link to the video here after you upload it.

16. vintagegamingsy

vintagegamingsy Member

This is the brother-law of qixmaster, the intial poster. I put the binaries and associated files from the above mentioned games onto my softmodded xbox, yet the games do not run. I am wondering if I need to run this via an XBOX with the XDK kernel? Also, I wonder if I need a system with 128MB RAM, such as an XBOX Debug Kit or another XBOX Development Kit. I would like to make sure this can run on other modded XBOX systems and not just the Development kit. I don't believe we plan on distributing the game files as of yet.

17. Borman

It is highly likely that the game requires 128mb of RAM. Won't be any way of changing that if that is the case. Send me a PM of course if you need help. I can assist with whatever, obviously with no threats of a leak. One way you can check is to open up a backup of the file in DeXBE (Which sometimes saves without warning, which is why I say use a backup). It will tell you if it is limited to retails 64mb or not. You could potentially try flipping that option and saving, but I havent seen much success with that and having it work like it should

[​IMG]

You can of course try on a debug enabled Retail box, but that is hit or miss too, usually shouldnt be an issue.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  18. vintagegamingsy

vintagegamingsy Member

I have already backed up the files in multiple places. When I ftp'ed the files over many of the FTP chmod commands would not run correctly. So it may be that the file permissions did not end up in the state that they were prior to copying. I am not sure what they were to begin with due to the XDK not allowing me to view file permissions. Regardless, I will look into DEXBE and research what that does. I am not a Windows user, I am a Linux user with a Windows XP VM in Virtualbox. I copied the files from my Linux machine, which uses the file system EXT4. This shouldn't be an issue because I don't believe that xfat file system uses permissions bits. That could be why the chmod commands failed. If I want to rule the possiblity that permissions are an issue, I will ftp the files from my Windows XP VM, just to be safe. Yet, this is probably not an issue.

19. Borman

Sadly most of the tools are XP based, so I have to do the same thing. The picture is DeXBE, it shows the flag for memory to at least see what it is doing. I havent had issues with permissions before.

20. vintagegamingsy

vintagegamingsy Member

Thank you, Borman for all your help thus far.