Sony to release the Playstation Classic

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by thebigman1106, Sep 19, 2018.

1. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

I see what you mean, but my guess is they're just going to reuse what they have already instead of securing it. They can just pop an altered PSTV mobo in there and call it done and that would still be annoyingly secure already.
    Ultimately my assumption is wrong but knowing Sony they might make it easy or they might make it really difficult.

2. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Wii mini has usb.

Having a usb port or not have no relation on hackability.

So.... No body knows until someone buys it and looks?

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  3. Segafreaknz

Segafreaknz Rising Member

i hope medievil and twisted metal are on it

4. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Any web browser functionality will make it exploitable without hardware assuming it's webkit. If they dont use webkit you will need to rely on hardware or a very clever software exploit
    That is of course assuming it's operating like a vita system does because that would be the smart choice as if they make the games part of the main OS, any change to it results in a hard, unrecoverable brick. Unrecoverable obviously implying you didnt make a backup that could be flashed back if the hashes dont match.

It's a box with unknown contents so we'll need to wait to find out. My hopes are more going for the thought of it being like a PS1 just on modern hardware because that would be very nice.

5. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Yes and none of those things are known until its released. Which was my point and family guys

Your implication is usb port = exploitable is no where near accurate.

stayhye and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  6. teckman02

teckman02 Spirited Member

7. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

I wonder if we can read anything into "20 Preloaded Games" meaning that they plan to have more available somehow. The collection of games seems decent. I doubt it matches what anyone would have picked themselves.

8. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

Good list. A little surprised that there isn't any Tomb Raiders or Crash Bandicoot games, considering how iconic they are.

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  9. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

I suppose they made certain choices due to licensing and others due to space, though we don't know how much storage is on this. Not to mention that games like Crash, Spyro, and SOTN have been released or shortly will be as part of HD remasters. Perhaps that kept them away?

10. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

More than anything, I'm surprised by the lack of anything from the WipEout series, though I suspect it's due to licensing issues with the soundtracks. Also, I doubt it will be possible to simply load up your own games from ISO files - there's clearly something going on "under the hood" to remove the disc swapping necessary with physical copies of Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid. Speaking of MGS, how will they address that one codec number included on the back of the original CD case?

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  11. dark

dark Dauntless Member

I was so surprised to see Battle Arena Toshinden and Cool Boarders 2 on here. These are huge nostalgic favs of mine that I put tons of hours into (BAT was actually my first PS1 game, and the game that sold the system for me) - however I don't think anyone considered these to be certified classics. For that matter, I wonder if they will have removed the Burton snowboards licensing from CoolBoarders 2 - I think the US version had it while the Japanese version didn't.

12. MottZilla

I think there is a good chance that recent re-releases might have influenced what ended up on the list.

Anthaemia, the emulator could specifically watch for the events of disc swaps in the required games and do the swapping for the user. And if it's possible to get access to the file system on the unit there certainly is the possibility of adding your own ISOs. I agree it wouldn't be simple, but then that depends on what you consider simple. You certainly won't be able to just plug it into your computer as-is and drag and drop ISOs into it. But certainly there will be interest out there among tinkerers and they will try to figure out how to hack into the device to be able to change what games are on it. If and when that happens people can stop complaining about the list of included games then right?

theps1master likes this.
  13. notataco64

notataco64 Spirited Member

14. theps1master

theps1master Robust Member

Yeah true
    However people may be able to hack into the console and change the games round but I doubt they will have much if any free space to add extra games they will learn from Nintendos mistakes

15. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

TBH, it probably benefacted Nintendo. They make the same money regardless of "piracy" on their classics, they don't sell extra software for it, only the hardware.

It could even have been intentional, or at least considered worthless to implement protection.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    theps1master likes this.
  16. MottZilla

How much free space there might be is anyone's guess. They would of course go with the cheapest memory size that is large enough to fit their selection. But that could mean either very little free space or quite a bit. Regardless it won't be like the NES or SNES Classic Editions that could be easily jam packed with many more games. While some Playstation titles do have relatively small sizes I'd say on average they are not very small. But if external memory can be accessed perhaps through the USB port then perhaps the sky is the limit. We'll find out eventually.

theps1master likes this.
  17. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

I still wonder why they didn't put analog pads in. I doubt the costs would be impacting in any meaningul way.

18. smf

smf mamedev

What do you mean by meaningful?

I suspect it's the force feedback patent that puts them off dualshock.

19. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

There'll be an updated version with DS and other games.

20. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member