Sony to release the Playstation Classic

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by thebigman1106, Sep 19, 2018.

1. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

Only thing that could make it interesting is if they found a way to reduce/nullify loading times. Else it's just a costy pointless emulation machine that you can make yourself better with raspberry pi for less $$$...

2. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

The new Iphone costs $1,449 and is supplied with a 1A charger. It's not about budget, although I admit I've only bought phones with quickchargers the last times so I don't know what the standard is these days. But my point still stands, I prefer surge protectors when dealing with things more complicated than a table lamp.

3. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Quick chargers are all like 2amp+

I stopped buying iPhone years ago, but quick googling seems to show they give you a 1amp charger that is slow. You need to pay extra to get a charger that charges at full speed. Which is madness for the price they charge. Had no idea it was quite that bad In the ios camp.

Android phones been coming with 2amp+, quick charge or usb-pd for ages.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  4. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

Well if they were to include quickchargers with the Iphones noone would afford to buy them...

Either way, I'm willing to bet that your average tech enthusiast have atleast five USB chargers strong enough to power this PS1 Classic, when USB chargers are included with pretty much everything these days from phones, to tablets, headsets, game console controllers and even new laptops that charge through USB-C. I'm glad Sony didn't throw in a redundant charger that would be crap anyway.

5. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

For me it's all about playing on some kind of original hardware, even if that hardware is an emulation of an older machine, it's still officially licensed Sony. I've never found any enjoyment from pirating and playing games I've obtained illegally, even if we are talking retro classics.

6. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang My goodness, it's nipley out!

I hope they don't make the cord 3 feet like the NES Classic. Good thing they improved on that with the SNES Classic. I'd love to see how good the controller is for this thing, knowing Sony, probably pretty solid.

7. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

I see your point but here's the deal. They could have included one so that if someone doesn't happen to have a free power adapter they can at least get up and running out of the box. You are 1000% encouraged to throw it out and plug it in with a higher quality one, but it would be a very nice choice to have.

As for the iPhone comment...if random phone makers that sell Android phones for $500ish can throw in a quick charger, pretty sure one of the worlds richest companies charging $1000+ for their phones can too. Not throwing it in is a perfect example of Apple bending over its customer base.

8. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Usb controller ports is asking for the device to get diddled.
    I would really like to use this for some PS1 stuff if they can be modified

Keiji Dragon and Anthony817 like this.
  9. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Of course its that bad because all the idiots will still buy it. Did you know that the cheaper new IPhone has a lower dpi than my 4 year old Sony Xperia! WTF! It still cost over 500 US dollars. You can get loads of very well specked Android's for that price. Phones well better than what apple offer.

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  10. wombat

wombat SEGA!

I think the whole no chargers in the packaging has to due with EU legislation from a couple of years ago, where manufacturers are now in charge of cutting down on selling/packaging 'unnecessary' chargers.

11. smf

smf mamedev

I don't. Where can I place the bet? I could probably plug it into a Wii/PS2/PS3/PS4 but I don't consider them a USB charger....

12. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

It's classic Apple, like for the fact that noone needs a screen larger than 4"... Until you do.

13. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

Well, Dee Snyder, like I wrote in my latest reply to you, a PS2 works like a charm. Stop worrying so much. But I'll tell you what, I may be unique in having 20 of those bad boys, but for P&P I'll send you one of them, free of charge.

14. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

It seems to be usb though, so worst case scenario an extension would be cheap.

15. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

That EU "common external power supply" thing only applied to mobile phones, and was voluntary anyway. I suspect it's much more likely that the reason they aren't supplying a PSU is simply that it saves money.

Having said that, there is another incentive to not supply a PSU in Europe - which is that quite a few of the EU countries have a requirement that consumer products sold in their territory that are supplied with a power adapter have the correct plug type for that country - which in practice means that you need multiple SKUs for the different plugs. Leaving out the power adapter means that you can supply a single pan-European SKU that you can sell anywhere.

16. teckman02

teckman02 Spirited Member

my thing about it is how easy is it going to be to hack. We've seen with the NES-SNES classic was a cake walk to hack.

Anthony817 likes this.
  17. teckman02

teckman02 Spirited Member

I don't think that ill buy one... well not right a way at least but one game that I'd like to see is metal gear

18. -=FamilyGuy=-

There's really no way to tell if it's gonna be hackable or not until someone tests it. The Nintendo classics were easy to modify just because Nintendo didn't care at all to lock them up. If Sony cares, it could be hard to hack.

19. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

see

20. -=FamilyGuy=-

And? A PC has usb ports, and a PC can be quite secure if it's properly set up. AES encryption isn't getting cracked soon.

Nintendo didn't even care to remove the data/debug/what-ever-it's-called capabilities from their rear power usb port. It really seems like they told themselves that there was already enough emulation out there that spending money/time to secure their own emulation machine was a waste of time/money.

Don't get me wrong, I like that the classics are ready to hack, it allowed me to add the few games I felt were missing from the lot. But it doesn't meant squat about the PSX classic security/hackability.

Keiji Dragon and Mord.Fustang like this.