Sony to release the Playstation Classic

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by thebigman1106, Sep 19, 2018.

1. thebigman1106

thebigman1106 Robust Member

2. 8bitplus

8bitplus Gutsy Member

Looks good, I would rather have the original Ridge Racer than Type 4, but I'm sure it'll be hacked in 10 seconds after launch allowing you to add additional games.
    Any speculation on the other included games? I'd expect Crash Bandicoot and Tomb Raider to make an appearance if Sony gets the licencing arranged....

Come on Sega! we want the Saturn Mini!

3. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

No Dual Shock controllers, so that limits things a little.

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  4. 8bitplus

8bitplus Gutsy Member

True, so they might only include games that were playable with the digital pad...

5. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

I'm sort of surprised they outright lifted the Classic naming from the NES Classic rather than going with something like, I dunno, PS Original, PS Mini, etc..PSXtraSmall :D

If they sweetened the deal by allowing it take original PSX discs that'd answer what people are looking for from the Polymega. Guess there's no chance they'd do that though.

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  6. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

I'm not ruling out the possibility that Sony will release a second version with the Dual Shock controllers and other games.

sonicsean89 likes this.
  7. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

Worried that the European version will be 50Hz or worse yet, 60Hz with framerate conversion from 50 and therefore crazy stutter. They do this shit on some PS2 games on PS4, making them completely unplayable :/

To my knowledge Sony has never offered us the US versions, so I doubt they will now.

8. stevo9389

stevo9389 Plays It Loud

"*AC adaptor sold separately"

9. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

You have ten of those USB plugs anyway, why do you need another?

DSwizzy145 and Mord.Fustang like this.
  10. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

I'd love to see a few of the best games from Psygnosis represented on this machine - at the very least, Destruction Derby 2, Wip3out Special Edition and the original Formula 1 need to be on there, but figuring out who now has the rights to these may be difficult when you consider that SCE Studio Liverpool is long gone. Also, since it looks as if Tekken 3 and Ridge Racer Type 4 will be included, what about other Namco titles such as Air Combat or Soul Edge? We can probably rule out Time Crisis and Point Blank due to the necessary light gun peripheral, but what of other major developers who helped the PlayStation become an unstoppable force? The work of Konami deserves including as well, though I can't imagine Metal Gear Solid, Dracula X or Silent Hill appearing when the company won't bother doing anything with these as standalone games. Capcom seems to be another most-wanted name, with Resident Evil 2 a no-brainer (pun intended). Saying that, would they license the PS version when a full remake is on the horizon? Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Tomb Raider can probably be ruled out for similar reasons, with all recently having either remastered editions or sequels, plus I wouldn't expect anything too obscure like PaRappa The Rapper. Our hope surely rests with how easy this device will be to add new games onto...

11. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

it looks like the controllers are USB so maybe its possible to use a DS3/4, if not natively then with some mods maybe.

12. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Dauntless Member

13. thebigman1106

thebigman1106 Robust Member

I wondered that...I have some ps2 to usb adapters, I'm thinking they should work on it.

14. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

I worry about the other way around, I'd like to see newly made high quality official Sony PS1 controllers I can use on my real PS1.

15. stevo9389

stevo9389 Plays It Loud

You've got me mistaken for another house you're stalking. I don't have one of them let alone ten of them.

16. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

Really? Yours is not the house with the green curtains? OK, my bad.

But seriously, you get a USB power plug with every phone you buy, there's a USB port in your TV, etc etc.

17. smf

smf mamedev

So I can't charge my phone and play PS1 at the same time?

My 1080p TV doesn't have USB.

18. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

Hello there Twisted Sister fan, if you have a PS2 or newer console, you also have a USB port on that console you can use.

I recommend everyone to invest in a surge protector in any case, the good ones have their own USB ports and often times they're 2A, not 0,5A that most cheap USB plugs that are included with smart phones use.

19. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I've not had a phone been supplied with 0.5A charger in many many years. They have been over an amp for ages. New ones are usb pd

Depends on your budget I'd imagine.

20. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

I think the idea is if they're charging 100 bucks for it they coulda probably thrown in a power adapter.

Keiji Dragon, kHn and stevo9389 like this.