Sony PSX (DESR-7000) won't load discs

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by FireAza, Oct 4, 2014.

1. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

I recently picked up a PSX (DESR-7000 model) from Hard-Off for cheap but it's not working. Here's what it does, when you turn it on, the PSX splash screen animation plays then it goes to a blank screen. I'm unfamiliar with the operation of the PSX, but I'm assuming that the main menu should appear after the splash animation plays like the PS3 does. Or am I wrong and there's something I need to do to get the main menu to appear? When I put a game in the machine, I still get a blank screen.

Speaking of loading games, here's the behavior I observed with different media:
    audio CD - Spins up
    PS2 game - Some games will spin up but the majority will spin for a few seconds, stop, spin for a few seconds, stop etc
    PS1 game - Spins up

I noticed the laser on the right hand side (when facing the disk slot) firing but I didn't notice the laser on the left firing. It could be that it's not as exposed as the one one right and the laser might be difficult to see or it might be dead and thus the cause of my issue. I've tried cleaning the lenses of the two lasers, but this didn't help.

Since the PSX has a hard drive, can this sometimes be the cause of issues? Like, if there was some important piece of software that's kept on the hard drive and then the hard drive dies.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  2. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Press home on the front. By default the psx will go to tv tuner (black screen if no antenna is connected).
    The psx when in PSX (XMB) mode will use the dvd optical pickup first for every disk (so chances are it's faulty now) if it is faulty you either have to replace that pickup OR only load games in PS2 mode.
    Slap FMCB on a MC and that will get things going for you..

http://www.thepsx.blogspot.com

I made a tutorial on there. Also read up on the HDD there too (I think I explained most of what happens )

IF THE HDD IS DEAD YOU ONLY HAVE ONE OR TWO OPTIONS.

A: replace the Hdd with one from another PSX (has to have either newer or same XMB VER. You have a 7K series so any PSX Hdd should work fine)

B: slap a 40gb PS2 SONY hdd in there and only ever use FMCB (last resort no 48bit region thus no XMB)

I wouldn't be able to tell you that with out the help of Sp193 and l_Oliveira

3. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Hmmmmm, pressing the "home" button didn't do a thing, still looking at a blank screen. It's not the "snow" you normally see when something isn't tuned in if that helps. Also, I've noticed it's kinda hard to shut down, pressing the power button just makes the green light blink and if you hold down the power button, you need to hold it down for a LONG time before it finally shuts off. Is that normal? It's possible my laser might be bad, but I think the fact I can't get XMB to appear seems to be the biggest and first hurdle to get this thing running. Any ideas?

4. billcosbymon

billcosbymon Guru Meditation Error

I remember seeing in videos of hardoff that the vast majority of PSXs sold there are broken.

5. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Your HDD unit is probably dead/corrupted (most likely just dead). There's no fix for now since we still cannot replace it with a generic HDD, so your PSX is not really a PSX anymore because the XMB is lost.
    You can still use FMCB with it, but the XMB cannot be reinstalled without a valid HDD.

Yes, the XMB is stored on the HDD. The boot ROM of the PSX does not check the CD/DVD drive, so a PSX with a dead laser will still boot up. Neither will a PSX with a dead HDD boot a disc.

Yes, it won't shut down quickly. It's just like the PlayStation 3.

6. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Well, they're not going to sell working ones for 1000 yen :p

Oh, so a dead HDD is the cause of both the XMB menu not loading as well as disks not loading? That's a lot of functions to tie to something fragile like a HDD, good work there Sony!

7. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Well a ps3 without a hdd will do the same thing..
    basically the XMB/OS is responsible for the loading of software so without that the system won't read anything (or boot it)

Some info about the optical drive:

http://thepsx.blogspot.com/2014/08/playstation-x-optical-drive.html

And some info about how the Hdd and it's security work:

http://thepsx.blogspot.com/2014/08/info-on-psx-dvrp-satan-incognito.html

I'm after some more psx units to poke at if you are interested in making your money back..
    Try YahooAuctions instead of hard off (sooo jelly of you haha)

8. xmog123x

xmog123x Peppy Member

so how to get a PSX with corrupted xmb/hdd to run ps1/ps2 games? Is there a tutorial descripting this?

9. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Get a 40gb SONY drive (has to be official) pop in there, this takes care of the DVRP so the system won't hang..

boot with Fmcb and load either ulaunch or some other front end- boot games = success

10. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

FMCB can boot PlayStation and PlayStation 2 game discs directly.

11. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Wow, that "security" they added was pretty bone-headed, what if something like exactly what happened to me happened? At least the PS3 allows you to reformat a new HDD if your old one dies.

Sure, I'd be interested making my money back on this unit, just be aware it's heavy as the dickens, so shipping won't exactly be cheap. Yeah, I normally would have gotten something like this from YA, but until I saw it for cheap in Hard-Off, I'd never even considered buying a PSX before. I had no idea what they were!

12. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Well they still had service centres but yeah they didn't really look to far ahead (I guess they made the ps3 and sort of gave up)

Yeah last time I bought one from japan it was like $40 sea mail haha

there are usually a few PSXs's (sliver) on there pretty cheap :)

13. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

It's not security (simply put, the GUI was meant to be stored on the HDD), but just the design of the system. It's not that it will refuse to boot anything, but it just cannot boot anything.
    There IS a flash storage on this console, but it's only 8MB in size and so they probably couldn't squeeze the whole XMB into it.

Anyway, I suppose that they came up with this idea of allowing the user to use any standard disk that they wanted, after realizing how difficult and expensive it was to produce and release (worldwide!) customized disks for users to purchase. I really like this move that they made, especially since standard disks are so much cheaper and common than the XBOX360's proprietary HDD unit. D:

14. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Has anyone looked into the flash storage on the system? Wonder if it could be modded to auto boot a small front end like ulaunch or PSOS??

15. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

The PSX is intentionally designed to require SERVICE if it has any kind of fault condition. Also they would refuse service if the seal sticker were removed.

Doesn't matter anymore because they no longer service PSX units of any kind.

16. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

It's doable, but why not just store everything on a memory card (which contains the same sort of NVRAM as the flash storage)? That would preserve the condition of the unit, since they are so rare.
    I don't know about you, but I try to preserve the condition of every piece of rare and collectable equipment that I have.

We're still waiting for a Fujitsu MCB hacker to spawn, so that somebody can crack the DVRP's firmware....
    OR, for somebody to build an adaptor that allows us to emulate the SONY HDD CFW in hardware.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014