Sony PSP Test assembly guide

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by Parris, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Psycho

Psycho We've gone plaid!

Oh well, the spare drive I have has a bad UMD motor (that spins the disc), so I couldn't easily test it... The Test Unit did, however, react differently to not actually being able to read the disc: It just sat there trying and trying with just the wavy lines on the PSP (no XMB).

I'll order a new laser assembly from somewhere and see if I can get a different result...

I don't see any in the picture, but did you notice any jumper or DIP switches on the main board?

2. Parris

Parris I'm only here to observe...

I did, and all dips were positioned to ON - have a look at the mainboard image when I am discussing the IC from main PCB to the front control panel PCB. Damn it, yet another image I failed to post and comment on - you are making me stink here dude lol :DOH:

Just in case anyone is worried, I took over 100 images of the unit and realised I was never going to cram them all onto an AG post, so the PDF will have these minor issues ironed out pre-release. I am indebted to Psycho for spotting my errors however. I was up until a really stupid time doing that tear down and I think next time I'll avoid trying to do one so late, I clearly missed a couple of tricks!

Rest assured, the other guides had all these details ironed out pre PDF! That' what editors are for....Psycho, my new PSP Test editor! ;-)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  3. Psycho

Psycho We've gone plaid!

Actually, they are in the OFF position, aren't they?

I've posted an image with a few areas of the MB I found interesting:
    Circles 1 & 2 are three switches mounted to the board. These three switches are labelled 'Normal <> Flash Write' and are all in the 'Normal' position on my board (and Parris' from what I can in the pics).

Circle 3 is the set of 4 DIP switches Parris mentions above. These are labelled as follows:
    1: SYSCONPWR On= HI, *Off= Normal
    2: CP_ForceOn On= Enable, *Off= Disable
    3: P23
    4: P24

(*= Default) Switches 3 and 4 don't sound like they do anything, not sure. Setting 1 and 2 ON seems to affect how the system shuts down. The fan stays on all the time, and you can't completely shut it off. Not sure what the purpose of that is...

Circle 4 on the image is part number for the main board. Mine says:
    TMU-002
    1-866-574-11

Parris, is your motherboard the same number? I'm curious if these are physically different in any way, that would probably tell us...

There's another bank of DIP switches just to the left (and down a tad) of Circle 3 that isn't populated on our boards (maybe this is for the DevKit system). They are labelled:
    1: /CP_COMM_PWRSW_EN On= Lo, Off= Hi
    2: /PWRBUTEMU On= Lo, Off= Hi
    (3 and 4 aren't indicated)

That's the fun stuff I noticed...
    [​IMG]

4. Parris

This shall be updated and I shall confirm the information. Sorry for the hellish delays, but I have been pretty busy. I want to complete it before I take a bit of a break from all this.

5. Parris

Guide complete - PDF on its way (See post above)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  6. Parris

Here is the guide in PDF format:

http://lorezan.free.fr/ps2/PSP%20Test%20DTP.pdf

Many thanks as always to Unclejun for proof reading and hosting PDF. Hope it is of some use to anyone with hardware issues.

This is a very large PDF, please don't attempt it on dial up, you'll grow old waiting!

7. sequent_blender

sequent_blender Peppy Member

That link doesn't connect to the guide, but to a for sale / WTB listing...?

8. Parris

Bollocks, thanks for that! Will replace it now. Done! The hyperlink appearing as white text on a white background can be a pain in the ass sometimes. Cheers SB!

9. oli_lar

oli_lar Resolute Member

Wow, that is big. Hopefully it will be full of picturey goodness!

10. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

I don't own such a kit but I m giving it a reading. As usual, very nice work. It will surely be useful for collectors to come =)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  11. babu

babu Mamihlapinatapai

Excellent guides as always, great work. :thumbsup:

12. Psycho

Psycho We've gone plaid!

PSP Development Tool! DTP-T1000

Woohoo, got the Dev Tool today... So, naturally, I had to take it apart... :110:

I wanted to post a quick image of the MB so you can compare them (Test Tool/Dev Tool) in the same thread... I'll start another thread with more details of the DevTool...

Motherboard: LOTS of circuits on this baby: (Part # TMU-001 1-864-050-12)
    [​IMG]

Download HUGE image HERE.

Enjoy...

13. Triplem

Triplem Newly Registered

Sorry but im brand new here! Where can I find the guide as I can't see it in the original post.

Thanks!

14. Hellcat

Hellcat Robust Member

Whoa.... where and how do you get these things? O_O
    Please allow me the question on how much did you pay for it?

/me so badly wants one of those.... (devtool, that is)

15. npt

npt Spirited Member

lust for PSP Test / Devtool

HI All,
    I was just curious as among the things I lust after the most in terms of the type of videogaming obscure stuff we talk about here is a PSP TEST. I was wondering, how much is one worth? And is one with the 3000 looking controller worth morth / is a different model, or has it had 64 megs the whole time and obviously a mic isn't making a difference on a test or devtool.

Anyway, thanks

:eek:h::eek:h::eek:h:

p.s. /me hopes for minis exception, that would solve this : ) though would provide something even more great, access inside the castle, and possibly even getting a game on PSN.. :dance:

16. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

The different PSP "controllers" for the TESTs are just that...controllers.

You can swap in any controller you like on a TEST.

-hl718

17. Psycho

Psycho We've gone plaid!

Does that apply to the Go as well? I was told by a Sony rep (at E3 last year) that the PSP Go Test kits were actually different than the regular PSP, you couldn't just swap controllers....

Considering the controllers don't have UMD drives anyway, I wouldn't think this would be the case (and I really wouldn't expect an E3 lacky to know what he's talking about anyway, but that's all I had to go on). He wouldn't show me the test box itself... Anyone actually had the opportunity to experiment with both?

18. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

As long as all the boxes have the latest firmware update you should be able to swap controllers at will. The test boxes are the same ugly mini-tower PC style systems.

-hl718

19. Tsukasa

Tsukasa Member

Thank you for this awesome guide! Today I finally get my hands on a DTP-H1500. Few weeks ago I didn't think this would ever happen. Thanks to this guide I was able to clean up the unit a little bit, as a result it's shiny like a brand new one! :)

20. dudu.clx

dudu.clx Newly Registered

let's have a look. thanks