Sony PSP Test assembly guide

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by Parris, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Parris

Parris I'm only here to observe...

Assembly / Disassembly guide now posted. Please note it is image heavy and 56k modem users should turn around now!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  2. ConsoleFun

ConsoleFun Gutsy Member

Very cool! Havn't seen the guts of a PSP Test before... :)

3. Parris

This post contained the original details & images. I have edited it to reduce the amount of material space I am taking up on AG servers! Please see 2nd page for the actual PDF version of what was written here.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  4. Parris

...again, post edited to reduce size of material space being taken up on server, see Pg2 of this thread for the actual PDF containing all the information originally found here.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  5. Parris

You might also like to know that you cannot accidentally update the unit with a retail firmware update. A message is displayed stating that the update is the wrong format for the hardware and the update is cancelled before it even begins.

6. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

Parris, can you swap out any old DVD-ROM drive?

Or is it tied to that model?

-hl718

7. Psycho

Psycho We've gone plaid!

Wow, you really went to town on that thing... Does it still work? :110:

I have the L1500A, so I'll open it up a little (not quite as far as you) and see if there's any noticeable differences. Was there a part number or anything on the main board?

Also, what UMDs actually work in yours? I get an Invalid Region Code message with any UMD I try (movies and games from US, UK and Japan...) I have a couple of Test Sample UMDs I still need to try...

The only proper DVD-R test discs I have are a couple of UMD movies, and they do play fine...

Ever try to make a DVD-R test disc from a retail UMD?

8. Parris

I've seen older models using a black fronted DVD-rom, which might be an older version of Panasonic drive.

If so, it might be the Panasonic SR-8587-C. Perhaps someone will confirm that.

When I get the chance (next few weeks) I shall fit a couple of different drives and see what happens, however I can only test this with 1 genuine disc so it won't be a comprehensive test.

9. Parris

Hi, yes it still works lol - thank god! Each time I do one of these guides I think 'This will be the one that doesn't go back together again...' and with a PSP Test it's a bit of an expensive risk.

I suspect you need to update the firmware on your unit. I remember you PM'ing me and I thought that the unit was very early. Obtaining updates is incredibly hard and tbh I've never managed it, so we are stuck in the past!

You might want to try obtaining one of the PSP launch titles and trying it to see whether it works. However, I am interested in the region side of it as UMD titles are actually non-region specific and should work? No?

I have one genuine PSP DVD of a preview title. I'd love to test further, but it does actually work perfectly well and infact once you have swapped over the drive that the unit boots from it's so slick that you would have no idea which was running.

Never tried patching any discs or doing anything other than using retails titles and the genuine PSP disc partly because of my ironic copyright feelings! Don't ask! ;-)

If you can get into your PSP Test to confirm the difference / similarities and the model number / manufacturer of DVD I'd be grateful, however don't damage anything on my account!

10. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Any chance we'll see a pdf of this?

11. Parris

LOL - yes Kev, I realise it is massive for the boards so it'll be taken down at that stage - I've had several visitors over the festive season and frankly it's been too time consuming.

12. DRussian

DRussian Dauntless Member

Another excellent guide mate, now if some of us could actually get some PSP Testing stations ;-)

13. dickibow

dickibow Intrepid Member

Parris - another great guide! Good work, mate! :)

14. Psycho

Psycho We've gone plaid!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  15. Parris

That's fair enough. I don't expect anyone to actually take the risk of damaging such an expensive item. I pull mine apart as I am nuts / confident / have a few years of being nuts under my belt. I.e. so you don't have too ;-)

I doubt whether the updates for the PSP Test have any real correspondence with the retail updates etc. I.e. I doubt whether there are as many, as frequent etc, but I guess you are right that FW v1.50 must be the starting point with the unit.

Thanks, I shall amend the final PDF and give you a thumbs up, frankly I was in such a rush I stripped it down just the once and perhaps I should take it down once more before I post the PDF. Always good to get input!

D'ya know what? I never even sodding looked....what a dumb f*** I am! Serious thanks for that one as I noticed only once I had photographed the PCB that their uses and points were clearly marked. It never crossed my mind to even look at F1 & F2 (the mystery buttons). A MASSIVE thumbs up for pointing out my stupidity! :)

I've noticed the region thing on the retail boxes, but as all 3 versions of my PSP (US / J / Euro) play every disc. Is it 'ignoring' or have Sony just dropped it on the PSP?

Do you perhaps think that the very first PSP Test units were akin to other Debug units in that they only acknowledged unsigned UMD and then perhaps Tester / Developers asked for to be able to cope with retail too?

Mine behaves very differently. I can play retail, promo, test, DVD (PSP title) and in fact I have watched a portion of a TV film using the Test as it was on a memory stick...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  16. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

Psycho, it sounds like there may be an issue with your Test, possibly with the UMD drive.

I've used early version units before any they played release UMDs just fine.

-hl718

17. Parris

Possibly a lens issue - but they can be repaired!

18. Psycho

Psycho We've gone plaid!

Hmm, I assumed I'd get a 'couldn't read' error if the drive was bad... Is there a history of these going bad in the Test units? I think I have a spare drive from a scavanged PSP, I'll see if it looks usable.

I'll report back with the results.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  19. Parris

This is as much a learning curve for you as it is for me! I'd have thought you'd get a similar non-responsive UMD issue as with a retail unit, i.e. just a continual clicking / spin-up noise and then nothing. Perhaps however in the Test it posts a region issue, who knows other than by testing?

Short of smearing grease on my lens and potentially damaging it...

So, I wish you luck and hope you get a working laser into the unit!

20. cookiexo1

cookiexo1 Guest

Beautiful. Now I need to find my spare psp test kit and Ill have a look at the insides lol ;-) i wish

:dance: