Sony PS2 HDD OSD and __mbr

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by rs1n, Sep 22, 2016.

1. rs1n

rs1n Member

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I have been trying to clone my official Sony PS2 hard drive and modify (the clone)it to see if I could build my personal Free HD Boot package in case I ever need to get a new hard drive down the road. I have been trying out various packages that other people have made (e.g. FHDB 1.93 Noobie) and some seem to work whereas others do not. Most of this is to learn about what is necessary for booting, etc. For personal reasons I would rather not use anyone else's package and would prefer my own.

So I cloned my official Sony HD (which has FFXI on it; yes I know it's no longer supported) using dd, but the cloned drive doesn't boot. Oddly, writing the FDHB noobie package to the same disk gets it to boot (i.e. load the contents of the HD into the browser). (I also tried HD Raw Copy -- same result: PS2 shows the bootup animation, disk powers down, and I get an empty browser screen). I went ahead and tried to install FHDB 1.952 on it (via FMCB 1.95 placed on my memory card) and it would boot up to the FMCB logo but then the drive just powers down and I'm back to an empty browser (version 1.4 as opposed to 2.0)

My question is, what is it that these other folks are doing to the boot record to make an HD boot? Why does cloning the official Sony HD not sufficient to get it to boot into browser mode (where I can see the contents of the HD)? Is there something extra I must do?

2. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Is your destination drive (the clone) a SONY HDD ?
    Replicating an official HDDOSD installation to a non-SONY drive will not work, as the ATA device driver from SONY originally checks the HDD and shuts it down if it's not an official HDD.
    You need to clone your official HDD, extract the signed binaries (from the __mbr, + osd100.elf), patch the said binaries, then put the binaries back to the clone HDD. Then your unofficial HDD will boot to the HDD browser.
    Note that your unofficial HDD must not exceed 137GB.

To get the HDDOSD (browser v2.0) working with FHDB in an unofficial HDD, you need to patch the HDDOSD KELF too.

We use MBR KELFs that don't perform a genuine HDD check (with a homebrew ATA device driver, or a hacked SONY ATA device driver).

Cuz of the genuine HDD check.

Patch the HDDOSD KELFs, or get the hacked ones which support large hard disk drives from somewhere.

AKuHAK and pool7 like this.
  3. rs1n

rs1n Member

Hi krHACKen,

Thank you for the detailed response. The destination drive is not a Sony drive as you suspected. I will check out your link you provided. Is there a similar patch for the HDDOSD kelf file? I'll try googling in the meantime.

EDIT: Finally opened the zip and found the answer :) Thanks again!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  4. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

Additionally, keep in mind that your existing install of PlayOnline Viewer will only boot on the very same HDD it was installed onto (while connected to the very same PS2 it was installed with) due to HDD DNAS DRM.

5. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

Sadly FFXI & PlayOnline Viewer are somewhat fully dead on the PS2, only good on PC now. I boot-up my PS3 that I used to play FFXI on and started it up just to if it works... tired to login and give me massage saying to update o_O then it updated & I was thinking it was working but sadly once it rebooted it loaded a screen saying thanks for playing & no longer supported. (Only PC now)

6. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Oh @l_oliveira, the POL-5311 error I got the other day is now solved.

In fact, all I had to do is wait a few hours for the POL pw change to take effect :facepalm: . Square's meeeeh.

PS : is listening Filter Branch, epicness of a tune.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  7. l_oliveira

I made PSF2s of all PlayOnline and FFXI songs.

krHACKen likes this.
  8. rs1n

rs1n Member

Good to know... though I never bothered trying because the last time I logged in, FFXI forced an update on me that then lead to a "sorry we're not supporting PS2 FFXI anymore" screen ;_; .... man I loved that game. It's just not the same on a PC.

9. rs1n

rs1n Member

The nostalgia from the music in your video.... *nice feels*

krHACKen likes this.
  10. vitas155

vitas155 Rapidly Rising Member

forced to upset or delight you, but this is not true, PlayOnlineViever from this https://assemblergames.com/threads/some-cex-ps2-hdd-dumps.70280/ theme works for me on ANY hard drive, with ANY FAT console, I can demonstrate it on the video if you want :)

11. l_oliveira

Do you realize that the software you're linking to was cracked by kHACKen? I helped him with the cracking of that stuff, I know what I am talking about. <facepalm>

I was talking about the original stuff, you probably knows nothing about.

svotib, AlGollan84 and pool7 like this.