Sony PS1 model SCPH-5502 trimmer RV703 broken.

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by arny91, Jan 19, 2014.

1. arny91

arny91 Member

Hi, i've bought a ps1 scph-5502. While i was trying to tune rv703, (just by putting a game with a long fmv on it, as i don't have an oscilloscope) i spoiled it. I managed to desolder it. It's a 47k carbon smd variable resistor, according to the service manual. Anyone knows where can i buy a similar trimmer?

P.S: These pots aren't rotative, right? (do they have a limit?) If i had known before, perhaps it would still work.

2. master991

master991 Enthusiastic Member

Use a standard pot, and next time don't touch things that you don't know :p

3. arny91

arny91 Member

Using a standard pot requires soldering wires and means having another mobile part inside the case (unless i tape it), not to mention that there's the risk of lifting the pads if the wires get pulled. I found those:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/100p...tentiometer-Trimmer-Pot-3x3mm/1611212781.html

i think they should be good.

And if you want to know why i moved the pot, well, this ps1 came totally dirty, with a big picture of dragonball on the top, attached with stick and vinyl glue together, and of course, with the lens and push-pull not calibrated. It took me days to remove the sticker and to clean the whole case. It has a ksm-440adm laser unit, which works at 24,4 mV, the voltmeter signed less than 14 mV. I raised it to the right value, but it had anyway fmv skipping problems. As i had fixed the same problem on a scph-5552 in fall 2012, i tried rotating little by little the rv703 pot. But now that i think about it, that pot had the wiper at minimum since i opened it. After various tries, i found this pdf:

http://bitokorleone.tripod.com/atlasman.pdf

It's for the SCPH-100x, but i think it's good also for the other. I placed the pot with the wiper at ~2 o'clock, and it skipped fmv less than before. But it was too late: the trimmer was spinning freely.

Now i have to change and adjust that.

By the way, i was also thinking about buying an oscilloscope, but in the service manual, i see there is an "adjustment jig" between the oscilloscope and the ps1 motherboard's test points CL710 and CL751. Does anyone know what is that thing?

4. master991

You shold have play with the pot on the ribbon cabl, not with the push pull, you can also use a fixed resistor or use a small pot as said above.
    I don't see why spend so much for a pot and how you lif the pad if you a clear job :p

Honestly i don't know what is that damn "adjustment jib", and as you can see, you nedd also a special CD called “QA-DISC” or “AGING DISC" and a SCD-2700 DISC. Maybe someone more expert can help us..

Buona fortuna paseano :p

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  5. Mechagouki

Mechagouki Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015

No PS1 is worth this much effort.

Unless they cost more than $10 USD in Italy of course.

6. arny91

arny91 Member

Would this have been useful? I don't think there are any improvements by raising the laser intensity more than necessary. And, as i said, both laser intensity and push-pull were surely misaligned.

You mean it isn't worth the effort? Anyway, with that price you get not 1 but 100 of that pots, i don't know what to do with all those pots, and if i could buy less of them for a minor price, i'll try.

Regarding a possible fixed resistor, what value should it be? I also have a ps1 SCPH-9002, and it doesn't have any rv703 trimmer. Does it use a resistor for push pull adj?

Grazie e speriamo bene!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  7. master991

No, from 7502 RV pot was removed

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  8. arny91

arny91 Member

Ok, has it been replaced by a fixed resistor on newer consoles?