GUIDE Sony Playstation2 TOOL disassembly guide VII

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by Parris, Jul 26, 2007.

1. CJ!

CJ! Active Member

Exactically! There are some samples in the sdk you can compile and run, which will access the HDD, nothing super useful at the moment, but atleast the HDD powers on etc.

For what its worth, I'm also using a retail HDD and PCMCIA card, vs the DEV ones!

2. Parris

Parris I'm only here to observe...

Hmmm, I am 1 PS2 Tool too many in that case. Might get the laser up and running next week and off load the original one. I'll say one thing for whomever considers purchasing it, it'll be one of the cleanest units on the planet as over the last few months I've picked it apart several times and tested various parts of it for the guide.

...however, 2 Tools looks uber cool lol :thumbsup:

3. Tomcat

Tomcat Familiar Face

why yes it does.

4. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Sticky sorry for the delay. This is so top notch, I am almost speechless.

I commend all of you for your selfless and hard work, you do the community
    great service and personally make me very proud to be a gamer.

-ASSEMbler

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2008
  5. Parris

Parris I'm only here to observe...

Not wishing to put myself forward as if some kind of official or even unofficial spokes person, but for my part I appreciate the kind gesture & feel that everyone that has recently been involved in the PS2 Tool threads has genuinely enjoyed offering up their own area of interest or expertise.

I'm pleased to have contributed my small part in it and very impressed with the sterling efforts displayed by everyone else.

I'd never have managed to get my unit running without this website & the plethora of seriously talented contributors.

This is what Assembler offers ALL console users when & if a particular area of interest is allowed to grow.

With that, I also thank everyone who contributed & Kev for giving us the space. :clap:

6. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

You want me to host the pdf on the server?

7. phasesout

phasesout Member

Done very professionally. Well done.

8. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

Perfect! Thats what im looking for:dance: .

9. Brilliant2meNu

Brilliant2meNu Robust Member

This guide saved my ass, THANKS!

10. Dragythu

Dragythu Active Member

Can't wait to get stuck inside a TOOL. Love the fact that people take the time out to make this stuff.

11. BILL007

BILL007 Newly Registered

GREAT FILE!!!Thank you very much!!!!

12. H360

H360 Familiar Face

Great guide. Will be very useful to many people, and will prevent other TOOL's from breaking during disassembly.

13. Socct Lu

Socct Lu Spirited Member

What is the PPT version password ?

14. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

Otherwise just take the PDF.

15. unclejun

unclejun Site Supporter 2011-2014

You don't need the password...

16. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

The plastic arms on the PS2 TOOL's casing

As mentioned in the guide, there are some incredibly fragile plastic arms on the TOOL's plastic casing, which can be cracked if the casing was removed in the wrong way.

The guide doesn't seem to show what these arms look like and where they are, and I think that the steps around that part were a little sketchy.

The process of opening it seems to be fairly simple:
    1. Remove all screws, like the guide says.
    2. Slide the cover towards the side which has the CD/DVD drive tray until it cannot be moved in that direction anymore.
    3. Lift the cover a little along the edge which had the screws, just enough for the whole cover to be slided towards the mohawk section of the TOOL.
    4. Push the cover towards the mohawk section of the tool.

In the photograph attached to this post shows my TOOL's cover, after I removed it. The two arms at the side were cracked because I thought that the cover had to be pried open with a screwdriver. I really did not really use any force, and they broke with a soft "putt" sound. The guide did not say that the cover had to be slided open first.

In total, the two arms at the side of the casing and one of the plastic retainers near the CD/DVD drive's opening were broken. :/

DSC01686-highlight.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  17. halichi

halichi Guest

Thank you for the guide. I was able to backup both HDDs and clean up the insides. I've uploaded the backups here: hdd-bottom-primary (983798J).img.gz hdd-top (983898J).img.gz. Unclejun has posted some useful information about backing up DTL HDDs in this thread.

Info about my unit: DTL-T10000 (Pentium 233) - uname -a: Linux devtool 2.0.36 #1-ps2dev Sat Sep 4 15:52:35 JST 1999 i586 unknown. Http and root passwords are default (pw: Administrator).

Thanks again to Unclejun for answering my pesky PMs.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
  18. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

My unit now has got damage to the memory card slot covers. One was because I was a little too rough with removing my memory card after the long debugging hours, and the other happened today because I was trying to figure out why it happened (I pushed it back... and it got stuck too).

After I took apart my unit, I realized that the two slot covers were broken. It didn't take much to break them, so they were either fragile to begin with or the plastic has been deteriorating over the years (I saw a datestamp that shows that the plastic was moulded in 2002). So as a warning to the TOOL owners out there, do not push the memory card slot cover all the way back, or it might break at the thin hinges. >_>

I'll like to add on to the disassembly guide, to explain a little more on how the "mohawk" and "facade" sections are to be removed. My sections were damaged (partially by me trying to figure things out and probably the plastic is now weak). Both sections are secured by a plastic locking protrusion that is located at one corner of each section (as shown in step 12), which only has to be lifted slightly before the section can be slid backwards: for the mohawk, it slides towards the back of the TOOL. For the facade, it slides downwards.

Both locks are freely accessible if both the base and the backplate of the unit are removed.

Although it is tempting, do not attempt to lift these sections unless slid back. After seeing what (thin plastic) holds them to the body of the TOOL, I really do not feel like carrying the tool by the mohawk and facade sections. D:

Finally, please be careful because the plastic cracks so easily and the panels are somewhat difficult to remove without being able to know for sure that nothing will be broken. Whenever I hear a new "creak" sound, my heart sinks further. ;_;
    And for some reason, super glue doesn't hold the plastic in place. It isn't strong enough.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]