Sony enabled PS2 backwards compatibility for the PS4 without telling anyone

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Ashevent, Nov 20, 2015.

1. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

Yeah, mainly because discs have always been cheap (even in the 90s, CDs cost pennies) so they made a ton of all the popular games, and the PS1 sold well enough that that number was big.

For 1, the fact is the PS4 is powerful enough to emulate via software (as we've seen). I don't see how security plays into it. As long as they can verify it's a legit PS2 disc (and given that Sony has the patents on the copy protection, I can't see that being an issue) there shouldn't be a piracy issue. Unless you mean people will use it as a workaround to softmod the console. But even then the methods are pretty well documented that they could find a block for those exploits.

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  2. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

I don't think emulation for disc games will ever come out for the PS4 (for PS1 & PS2 titles). Why? Because they would rather resell you the same game on the PSN Store for money instead of you using your existing discs.

Yes the architecture is different, but Microsoft has pulled it off for the Xbox One with 360 games. Let's not forget that the architectures are wildly different as well (PowerPC for 360 & x86 for Xbox One).

pato likes this.
  3. 7Force

7Force Guardian of the Forum

Eh, to be honest I don't care. Can't think of a single PS2 exclusive game I'd want to play in this day and age.

4. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

Man i can think of at least 10.... Hope they give it to us instead of milking with DLdable games

5. 7Force

7Force Guardian of the Forum

I was going to say that there's a good chance discs will work...then I remembered that ripoff Playstation Now service they have and suddenly I'm not so sure anymore.

6. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Yes, that's true, but also remember that these titles are being reworked to work on the system, not just being accepted by it. Things need to be altered for it to operate on the XBO (or download some files to boot through that then go to the disc to seek content to then run though some files).

For the PS4 it just plain couldn't do this without a huge overhaul.

7. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

I'm not so convinced that it's impossible for the PS4 to pull off.

8. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Even if it's possible, they won't sink money on in. They are glad the PS4 is a commercial success and can help their financial situation.

They bought Gaikai for a reason, to be able to have PS3 games available for streaming like Netflix. They are not working on it just for the PS4, but for it to be also available on TVs and Media boxes like an App. With it they can provide games for a bigger audience.

It's a better experience today? Hell no. Will it be on the future? Who knows? Only time will tell.

9. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

Oh it'll be great in Japan and South Korea, where 50Mbps is the minimum for high-speed internet. The US and half of Europe still have people with DSL as the best "high-speed" option.

10. Esppiral

Esppiral Enthusiastic Member

Disc based bc won't happen on ps4 as it didn't on ps3, Sony already has a software emulation solution for the ps3 and it is only available for the psn ps2classics, at least If you have a hacked ps3 you can play any ps2 game using the software emulator, Shadow of the colossus, Dragon Quest Vlll, metal gear series and a lot more run like a charm on my ps3, Jak and Daxter series runs like crap thoug.

In short, they didn't allow disc based emulation on ps3, they won't on ps4 either.

11. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Spirited Member

I'm betting the prices will be about as competetive as the PS1 classics too, Sony love to gouge. At least they haven't made a hideously expensive proprietary memory card to keep them on.

12. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

If it's not disc based, its useless. If people like the idea of buying a game they own again just use a different system to play them on, I guess it's for them. This doesn't change the "backwards compatibility" so called 'war' that Xbox One has if that's the case.

13. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

They are only doing this to "respect" previous digital purchases and at the same time offer these games to PS4 owners.

14. stayhye

stayhye Member

IMO, if they were smart(not greedy), they would charge an outrageous price for just the emulation feature for disc titles...lets say $200 dollars per emulator they decide to release(PS1, PS2, PSP). Then, for all the people that would be like "that's too much" , release PSN converted titles like they been doing. Basically, charge the cost of "adding" a legacy system and it's library to present day PS4. Hell, I'd pay $300 for it if I knew i could play ALL my ps2 games again with trophy support! I would be like launching the PS2 a second time with a full library.

15. Kyoto

Kyoto Active Member

Super Star Wars? SNES emulation on a Sony console? Is this a new thing?

16. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

There are a couple of things I can think of - the first is that both the PlayStation and the PS2 used wobbles for security coding on the discs, and unless Sony planned on including hardware backwards compatibility from day one they wouldn't have included the hardware to read this in the optical drive because it wasn't needed. Without this, it would be hard to tell copies from originals.

The second thing is that they have nothing to gain on a commercial basis for doing this - because they don't sell PS1 and PS2 games any more. So if they make it compatible with the original media then it will encourage people to buy 2nd hand games - but Sony don't get any money from this. If they make it "download only' then they DO get money from it. Hence, I think it will be download only.

17. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Spirited Member

I think that's all it comes down to really.

18. wlkacfen

wlkacfen Active Member

There is almost no good game on PS4 so they have to add more fancy stuff to keep people distracted.

sonicsean89 likes this.
  19. TheGameTagerZ

TheGameTagerZ Spirited Member

Hopefully this will be good for disc holders.

20. pato

pato Resolute Member

Indeed, also, Microsoft once had/still have the Xbox Originals, which had around 25 titles of the original Xbox to be bought in the Xbox Live to the 360, but even with that they had the backwards compatibility.

Sony on the other side, after removing the backwards decided to not emulate by disc and instead force people to buy the game again, even if the hardware was capable of doing it.

sonicsean89 likes this.