Sony CDW-900E Master Recording Unit

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by Jackhead, May 19, 2009.

1. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

Hi mates,
    i buy an CDW-900E without cabels, Software or Documents.
    Unit starts well. Now i found the right SCSI II Cable for the Recorder.
    But thats it. I like to know more about the PSX Master Recorder please!
    I read from the Assembler's Thread that 3 kind of Discs from Sony exist for it. 1 for Master Rec? The research about google says "Taiyo Yuden" CD-R runs well with the Unit. I dont know anything about creating Master Discs:shrug:.
    Are they special CD-R's?
    Wich Burning Software i need? I read CDRWin 3.6a is an option?
    Do i need an special Driver for Win9x?
    Sorry, many question but i like to know more about it. Please give me some hints. I like to see this Unit work.
    Thanks!

2. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

I found the right Cable for the Unit. Manual too. The SCSI Controller set up the device and shows it correct on boot screen.
    I spoke to another user. The Problem now, when we use CDGEN the unit is not found under Win9x. Win3.11 have no problem to show the drive in Win.
    But for Win9x you need an Driver for ASPI . :banghead:
    First time i think win9x has compatible mode for win3.11 but no way without driver.
    Any solution to use the Unit under win9x?
    It cant be that the drive only run with win3.11. I dont will believe it ;-)
    I hear from 3 CDGEN Versions, one on floppy, V1.0 and V1.1 on CD.
    Maybe V1.1 runs with include Win9x Driver?
    Thanks!

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  3. smf

smf mamedev

You can try here for aspi: http://web.ncf.ca/aa571/aspi.htm

I'm impressed that you're going to this trouble for a cd writer, I just use my laptop drive.

You might find any type of cd will work, I'd start with whatever you have in the house. I wouldn't use an original Sony disc, because it's worth more if it's never been used ( or even opened ).

Sony only made you use their software, writer and drive to avoid problems during mastering. It can be expensive to throw a glass master away just because someone wanted to save a dollar or two.

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  4. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

Thank you for the infos.
    I install the ASPI Driver. With the Tool i checked it up, its correctly installed.
    But my main problem is that i have no icon of the unit in my workspace.
    So i have no chance to test any cd typ :icon_bigg .
    In the Manual stands only for requires you need :

CDW-900E Unit
    SCSI Cable
    Host comuter with SCSI interface
    and "Software" :banghead:

But when no icon from the drive emerges in win, than no Software can find the device.
    I think i need some "software" for the device driver settings. If im not mistaken it musst be from Sony. After that the drive pop up on the workspace, maybe :shrug: .
    Thanks

5. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

It's command line drive in early versions.

6. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

So can i fix it with parameters in the device settings?
    Or can i only use it under DOS Command line for example?
    On the unit stands FEB 1996. Is it an early version?
    Thanks

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  7. SilverBull

SilverBull Site Supporter 2010,2011,2013,2014,2015.SitePatron

I am that other user. To clarify the situation, I'll just summarize what works and what not.

My setup: CDW900E connected to Adaptec 1542. When the realmode ASPI manager (aspi4dos.sys) is started, it successfully finds the drive. Then, when starting Windows 3.1, it is listed in Adaptec's SCSI Interrogator (the app showing connected SCSI devices) and can be accessed by Sony's CDGEN :icon_bigg.

Now for Jackhead's setup (I tried something similar on the same hardware as described above, but couldn't get the drive to work as well): CDW900E connected as above, but using Windows 98 instead of 3.1. The realmode ASPI manager cannot be used in this case, because it is incompatible with Windows' ASPI implementation; therefore, we have to use Adaptec's native driver. After installing it, the Windows 98 version of SCSI Interrogator does not show the SCSI Adapter at all, let alone the connected drive. As stated by Jackhead, the drive is shown by the adapter's BIOS during the initial bus scan on system boot.

The explanation of Windows 98's odd behavior goes like this: its ASPI implementation is fundamentally broken. Adaptec admits in their adapter documentation that the card won't show up unless both a device driver for the card itself (Windows 98-style; i.e., VXD) and a device driver for at least one connected device is loaded :evil:. Windows 3.1 doesn't have this limitation; SCSI Interrogator shows all devices connected to the adapter, regardless of whether any unit-specific drivers are loaded.

Now for the question: does anybody know of such a device driver for the CDW900E for Windows 98? This is not about a device driver for the SCSI card or ASPI (it is provided by Adaptec, anway), but for this specific SCSI device.

Nostalgia maybe :033:

What exactly do you mean? Only command line tools available? If so, they'd still need a device driver/ASPI manager to talk to the SCSI HBA.

8. bob

bob Robust Member

try windows 95 it may work better

9. SamY

SamY Active Member

10. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  11. SamY

SamY Active Member

based on this : http://www.goldenhawk.com/devices_body.htm
    it's supposed to be supported and due to the fact that cdrwin worked on at least win 95 (not talking about DAO, the CLI) I guess it should definitely work without anything special (though to be honest I do not know this particular burner). And to me it should only be some SCSI device to get to be detected and as far as I can recall in the "old" days using a different aspi version or provider could work for such problems

12. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

Like you can see in my first post, i read the same for CDRWin 3.6a .
    But i never found this Version. Its maybe an option.
    I have the CDGEN from Sony but this only made for win3.11 SCSI Support.
    Sure it runs under Win98 but thats the point, you need ASPI and Sony Driver for Win9x.
    Do you have CDRWin 3.6a?

13. SamY

SamY Active Member

the oldest I've got is the 3.9. Have you at least tried the latest available on their website ? Because as far as i can remember they did not have their own aspi layer back in old versions. It appeared some time later and before you had to install the aspi drivers separately which should not be necessary with the latter

14. Whosondephone

Whosondephone Newly Registered

Hey Just Got Windows 3.11 up and running on my Toshiba CDT440 in order to run one of these CDW-900Es. Can someone help me find the software I need to burn a disk? According to the Pre-Mastering and CD-WO Evaluations PDF I found, there are three programs that support the CDW-900E: CD-Gen, GEAR (Which is still around), QuickTOPIX.

Alternatively it is said that it can be run on a mac using OS9 and Toast. I ironically have all the mac software but don't have a mac. As expected modern versions of GEAR don't work with it under windows 7.