Sony BVM-20F1U + Neo-Geo MVS (consolized) saturated/overly bright image

Discussion in 'Neo Geo Discussion' started by 90s Kid, May 26, 2014.

1. 90s Kid

90s Kid Active Member

Hey all.

Hoping you can help me out here...

I have a Sony BVM and am trying to use a Neo MVS through it. Sadly the image is "too bright/to high in contrast" and losing detail...

I'm struggling to take an image due to the camera missing half the screen when I take a shot...

Is there a setting I need to tweak?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

2. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Most (all?) PVMs and BVMs allow you to adjust the brightness, contrast, saturation, etc. Some models have dials on the front, and some allow you to change those settings in the on-screen menu. My PVM has a setting that will allow you to either disable the dials on the front and use only the settings in the menu display, or you can set it so that the dials control the image.

Perhaps what you consider "too bright, too high in contrast" is actually normal for RGB. This might be the case if you're used to using composite. The MVS has amazing RGB output.

If you can manage to take a picture, that'd be helpful. The fact that the camera is missing half the screen is probably due to the BVM's refresh rate. Try changing the shutter speed or the aperture on the camera, if there are options for that.

3. 90s Kid

90s Kid Active Member

Thanks for the response, I'll have a go taking another image, but even when adjusting the various options, the image isn't clearing up. It's always lossy in detail.

Regardless thanks, I'll try and take an image tonight and post it up!

Thanks again

4. RetroSwim

RetroSwim <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

How have you got it connected?

You can't take RGB from an arcade board like the MVS and pump them straight in to BNC or SCART inputs, the voltage levels are wrong.

5. sdekaar

sdekaar Rapidly Rising Member

use a scaler like frame meister.

6. RetroSwim

7. 90s Kid

90s Kid Active Member

Thanks for the responses guys! @RetroSwim I have my conolized MVS connected directly via RGB Scart, into the BNC connectors, which by the sounds of it is why the image is lossy/over saturated and why I cant adjust it correctly.

What do I need to buy/do to make it work correctly??

Thanks in advance!

8. 90s Kid

90s Kid Active Member

I think that's my issue then... The consolized system is connected via RGB Scart via Scart -> BNC... What do I need to do/buy?

Thanks

9. pza

pza <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

10. 90s Kid

90s Kid Active Member

Ah, I see. Thank you sir.

The MVS itself is already consolised, do I still need the Supergun? I actually got a syncstrike device already, so I will just the VGA -> BNC be enough?

Any other way to get the console to work via SCART? All other machines use SCART so to switch to VGA and SCART will be combersome... Hence hoping for a cleaner, less hassle solution...

Many Thanks!!!

11. 90s Kid

90s Kid Active Member

Ah, I see. Thank you sir.

The MVS itself is already consolised, do I still need the Supergun? I actually got a syncstrike device already, so I will just the VGA -> BNC be enough?

Any other way to get the console to work via SCART? All other machines use SCART so to switch to VGA and SCART will be combersome... Hence hoping for a cleaner, less hassle solution...

Many Thanks!!!

12. pza

No, you don't need a Supergun then (Consolization)
    Yes, the cable will be enough. On eg my PVM-2950QM I use the the red, green and blue cables in the R, G, B inputs on the RGB input and the grey cable on EXT SYNC (HD/COMP). The black cable is not connected.

What do you mean by "work via SCART"? That's why you have the Sync Strike or a custom SCART>BNC cable.

Sony BVM-20F1U Operation Manual

13. RetroSwim

It really depends how it's been consolized. If the RGB outputs go from the JAMMA connector straight to the SCART output without any additional circuitry, it won't work properly.

14. 90s Kid

90s Kid Active Member

Sorry I'll try and explain...

So currently I use SCART -> BNC as all my consoles use SCART output, so as the Syncstrike uses dsub/VGA out and you linked a VGA -> BNC cable it would involve constant switching of the BNC cables at the back of the screen which is cumbersome. Ideally I would like to plug the MVS into the SCART splitter I use to make things more convenient...

Therefore I was hoping of connecting my MVS like so:

MVS -> Sync Strike -> http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/scart-to-vga-syncblaster-cable-a38bf -> SCART splitter -> http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc.html -> BVM

Thanks for your help!

15. pza

Why don't you do:
    your rgb consoles > rgb scart splitter > sync strike > vga2bnc cable > bvm?

16. 90s Kid

90s Kid Active Member

Oh well, if you can do that and it'll work! Sure thing!! Thanks!

17. 90s Kid

90s Kid Active Member

Well... I went out to buy the VGA -> BNC. Sadly the image is still too bright. I think as RetroSwim was suggesting the wiring must be just directly taken from the JAMMA and therefore not the correct voltage...

Where/Who could I send the MVS to, to get that corrected?

Thanks

18. pza

Can you post pictures?
    What cable are you using? Just some SCART cable? Maybe you need a 75-100Ω resistor on each R, G and B line?
    Does your MVS have 3 pots to adjust the R, G, B brightness?

Sorry, I don't know much about electronics stuff. Maybe someone can help. Pictures and some more informations would be pretty helpfull though.

19. 90s Kid

90s Kid Active Member

No worries... Here's an image.

You just about tell from it that the image is too bright etc... interestingly the sync strike has made no difference to the image...

[​IMG]

20. pza

The Sync Strike only strips out the composite sync signal from composite video, so you can feed the right sync signal to your monitor (if needed). read http://retrorgb.com/sync.html
    Pics from your setup (cMVS, back of your BVM)?

What about adjusting the brightness on your BVM?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014