Sonic X-treme - Point of View - Info + help required

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by jollyroger, Oct 20, 2014.

1. itsthinkingstil

itsthinkingstil Rapidly Rising Member

will you guys be building off this engine for porting axsx to the saturn?

2. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

More praise goes out. Thanks a ton for the video, I will be looking at that tonight. All this is just happening so quickly. Never expected everything to be expedited like this. Once again, thanks for all the effort. Everyone is crazy excited.

3. THE#1SonicFan

THE#1SonicFan Newly Registered

Na, I doubt it either. Typically developers put in attributes and leave them in for testing and showcasing purposes. Prime example (start @ 2:00 mark):

[video=youtube_share;C6SmN1obCv4]http://youtu.be/C6SmN1obCv4?t=1m56s[/video]

Also notice how much slower his animations are.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  4. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

No JR is not doing this for porting AXSX to Saturn . Besides Saturn could not handle all of the concepts that were added to AXSX.
    Although I may be speaking too soon, there may be level editor access for building levels in the future. I cant promise anything on JR's behalf though. lets wait and see what happens shall we ?

If a working level editor never comes to life, than I think it could be possible to build your own levels editing just the .pcx map and .def files on their own. But yeah that's no fun because it's a lot of trial and error!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  5. Ldziat

Ldziat Member

It has been quite some time, so my memory may be playing tricks with me, but I believe Chris Senn said that a double jump was planned to be a default move, had the game been released... I'll see if I can find a quote or something.

6. THE#1SonicFan

THE#1SonicFan Newly Registered

OH! My mistake. I thought you were talking about the infinite jumps. As it showed infinite jumps in the E3 showcase demo. But yeah double jump was planned, just not infinite lol.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  7. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

So, contrary to what had been previously said on the subject, it seems as if the Saturn code DID feature that fish eye lens camera effect, after all? I'm still curious to know whether or not the frame rate on actual hardware is anything close to being playable, but for the sake of convenience I'm sure most people would probably just end up playing any released version through an emulator such as SSF, anyway.

I've no idea if this would even be possible, but what I'd love to see is for someone to port/recreate those levels from the intended PC game developed by Chris Senn and Ofer Alon using this particular engine. Also, it would be fantastic if Chris Coffin's own work surfaced as well, particularly the build featuring a polygonal Sonic model - wasn't that from "Project Condor" while Point Of View were still involved?

8. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  9. wombat

wombat SEGA!

Amazing how these things can pop-up out of nowhere, just like many others I did not expect to see any more of Sonic X-treme after the boss engine build. Great job on acquiring the data and my gratitude and upmost respect into the work you are putting into getting this to work.

10. TreblaYevrah

TreblaYevrah Site Supporter 2014,2015

^Probably for the best when things do pop up out of nowhere. Hype around prototype builds seems to always result in needless chaos.

I haven't been too concerned with the Sonic X-treme scene for quite some time, but this is great to see. Again, great work to everyone involved!

11. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

Respect for everyone involved in this project!

12. itsthinkingstil

itsthinkingstil Rapidly Rising Member

well if you guys need any help with a level edition i would be glad to help iv done some programing for the saturn and am willing to use all my energy to help make a saturn version. keep up the good work guys

13. baraksha

baraksha Member

didn't anyone noticed cooljerk's picture on the other tread on sonic retro?

14. spinksy

spinksy Peppy Member

Yep! Exciting stuff

(they have the level editor running, buggy, but running)

15. Clovergruff

Clovergruff Active Member

This one?
    k7HKF0y.png

16. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

I love these developments.

17. The Perfect K

The Perfect K Robust Member

I had just remembered I didn't post it here and was rushing over to post it, haha. I see you guys took care of that for us :p

18. baraksha

baraksha Member

I was planing to upload the picture myself ,but I though I should leave it to you, so If you forget to upload a photo like that in the future can I do it for you?

19. The Perfect K

The Perfect K Robust Member

sure thing, feel free. We post pretty much everything at Retro, then I try to spread it to all the concurrent threads across several boards... but sometimes they slip my mind lol. So don't hesitate, it makes my work a bit easier that way :p

20. baraksha

baraksha Member