Sonic X-treme - Point of View - Info + help required

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by jollyroger, Oct 20, 2014.

1. jollyroger

jollyroger Gutsy Member

The C&C Commando tech demo is really tiny, and not a playable build. It contains experiments of a model viewer with a couple of 3D models, a simple terrain viewer, and a weird demo with a commando character walking around on the Road Atlanta race track, taken from the Sports Car GT game the same team was developing.

2. Chad1233

Chad1233 Member

I understand but still want to see it released whenever you want to because me and the Renegade community has a strong interest in it's beta contents and plus no C&C Commando footage or assets were released by Westwood so this will be a big find for us!

Edit: And we are very greatfull to have a awesome guy like you! :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  3. The Perfect K

The Perfect K Robust Member

So some more information about the saturn build. It came to be because JR has built together a toolchain to build him ISOs from the source, previously it was building DSK images that didn't contain the binary at all, so they couldn't be mounted in any way.

As for the actual demo itself, the build is problematic. The demo begins by displaying a red screen for several moments, before panning the camera over the level in a loop, and by pressing start, the camera moves in on sonic. At this point, pressing the L and R triggers changes the world color from blue to red. However, you cannot move Sonic at all. This means the game is correctly polling the controller, but we don't know how to move Sonic yet. One theory is that none of the emulators have analog stick support, and maybe Sonic was controlled with the analog stick. So that might be why we can't progress.

However, it is also likely that the problem is an emulator error. It runs in various states across various emulators. When burned using the built-in Windows ISO burner, it will run on Yabause, albeit incorrectly. Pressing start doesn't work on the controller. If one uses imgburn to burn the ISO, it'll boot on SSF, where it exhibits the behavior above. However, if one uses the Windows ISO Burner, it won't boot in SSF at all.

Finally, on real hardware, it hangs at the red screen. The thought is that it's hanging while looking for some file that may be in the wrong location on the disc and hence isn't booting. That could hopefully be a quick fix. Once JR gets his cartdev going, he can step through execution and figure out exactly what file the red screen is hanging on when trying to load, to figure out what's wrong.

4. Kroc

Kroc Newly Registered

I registered to say that this is the first time I've ever grokked what Sonic Xtreme is about. I always wrote it off in the past as an early attempt at 3D platforming that would be awful to play.
    This, this though is immensely innovative and I've rarely ever known a 3D platformer that just 'works' in 3D; that is "at home" with 3D. Crash Bandicoot shoehorned 2D into a 3D tunnel -- it's a good game, but not innovative. Mario 64 is plagued with camera issues as are almost all 3D platformers. Mario Galaxy is the only thing I can compare it to, and whilst Mario Galaxy is close to perfect, it still has some issues with having to wrestle control of the camera. In Sonic Xtreme, the camera is as natural a part of the control as is the directional pad. The fish-eye lens, though odd, solves a lot of design issues that 3D games wrestled with up until around 2001. For 1995, Sonic Xtreme has insanely good design.

They were stupid not to release it. Grid-based 3D design had a short lifespan, it was necessary in the mid 90s due to hardware limits and the best games worked _with_ it, rather than against it (Tomb Raider). By the time of the Dreamcast, such gird-based 3D was seen as limiting and too many games were trying to force full 3D movement on game designs that struggled to cope with it; Sonic Adventure, whilst a good game, is pained by its struggle to be true 3D, and a Sonic-style platformer. Xtreme has the perfect blend of 'fast bits' and 'slow bits' exactly the same as the 2D Sonic games before it. Sonic Adventure's fast bits are too much on auto-pilot and the slow bits are marred by the camera and clunky 3D movement.

I really look forward to some kind of 'complete' game coming from this, I very much enjoy the level design possibilities.

5. mspeter97

mspeter97 Robust Member

If the problem is the analog stick then it's going to be problematic... I don't know if any Saturn Emulator can emulate the Saturn 3D Control Pad

6. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  7. jollyroger

jollyroger Gutsy Member

In the worst case scenario I can always change the code to use the d-pad instead, but first I want to understand what is wrong.
    Rather than doing a million trial-and-error experiments, I prefer to wait for the system cd to get here, so I can get the Mirage up and running...

8. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

9. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

What you are about to see here is the real deal! You are now bearing witness to History here ! This is the very first Video of the official Sonic Xtreme with Fisheye running in SSF Emulator. Lets give Jollyroger a very special thanks for Making this a reality. He's not done going threw and debugging the Source code just yet, There may be some bugs that he'll be able to fix. ( some visual issues may also be due to running in the emulator)

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
  10. Grounder

Grounder Newly Registered

Thank you all for your hard work - this is fantastic!!!

11. f2bnp

f2bnp Peppy Member

[​IMG]

Amazing progress! Look at those jumping physics, they're the real deal! They're exactly the same as the ones shown in the E3 trailer!

12. henkenootje

henkenootje Newly Registered

13. spinksy

spinksy Peppy Member

AWESOME!!

Well done guys!!

14. baraksha

baraksha Member

can't wait to see what JR going to do with this when he gets hes equipment

15. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

The second video with proper frame rate and higher res, it was slowed down using Youtube's editor.
    The next video we may not need to slow anything down , may have found a way using the SSF settings.

Sonic can jump an infinite amount of times.
    [video=youtube_share;PXa-kztPu3c]http://youtu.be/PXa-kztPu3c[/video]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  16. grodecki

grodecki Member

Good job folks. I am excited to see this on a real saturn as I'm puzzled by how well it seems to run, although that could entirely be down to the emulation.

It's a truly weird feeling seeing something I dedicated such a huge amount of my time during high school to, actually finally happening.

17. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Still crazy, would have never expected to see the fisheye on the Saturn. Keep up the great work everyone!

18. spinksy

spinksy Peppy Member

Yay new video lol.

The whole jump and roll for ages is exactly like some of the early E3 promo vids for the game.

19. baraksha

baraksha Member

the E3 trailer also shows sonic jumping twice in the air, witch probably means this whole infinite amount of air jumps was maybe possible planned, but i doubt it

20. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

I cant take any credit for the progress or anything, JR is handling coding stuffs, Me and The Perfect K (aka Cooljerk) are mostly public relations.