Sonic X-treme - Point of View - Info + help required

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by jollyroger, Oct 20, 2014.

1. blueshogun96

blueshogun96 Robust Member

Okay, I've been MIA from the scene for quite some time now, so I missed the beginning developments of this thread, so I skimmed though it (TL;DR much of it) and you're saying that someone has the source code to the NV1 version of Sonic Xtreme for PC? Why didn't anyone tell me this?! I have an NV1 (Diamond Edge 3400 w/ expansion ram, controller ports, bundled games, and everything) as well as the SDK that Stiletto worked very hard to get for me. Although I'm not willing to part with my rarest video card (I literally spent years looking for it), if there's any way I can possibly help, please ask. I won't ask for a copy of your sources because IMO, that sounds really selfish of me to ask such a thing. If not, then I'll just sit back and watch the new developments unfold as soon as they surface. But please... pwwweeease tell me when there's NV1 related topics/projects going on?

On a side note, it looks like NV1 interest/activity has been increasing over the past few weeks.  First Stiletto completes his 12 year search for the NV1 SDK, I started picking up my old NV1 version of DOSBox (which I stopped before because I didn't have enough documentation), and now this! What's next?

Shogun.

2. jollyroger

jollyroger Gutsy Member

Thank you for your offer, but I have a complete 3400 on its way here, so please keep looking here for news...

Jollyroger

3. baraksha

baraksha Member

hey there , I was following this thread since it was posted on TSSZ news I'm very exited to see the results of all this
    also I'm kind of lost with what you need and what you accomplished getting so far

4. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

Okay guys ! Sega Saturn build is up and running ! The level seems to quickly fly around the screen with Sonic, Rings and a Badniks!
    The screen was taken in SSF emulator. However when we attempted to run it on Saturn hardware it did not seem to make it past the initial red screen. JR will be debugging it when he gets his Cartdev next week to see why the game stops at that screen. (he can see if it stops for a missing file, or it crashes somewhere)
    Just in case you're wondering, there are three versions of the STI source code and two more from POV.
    So yes ! after 18 years ... yes 18 long years here it is ! Sonic xtreme for Saturn complete with fisheye ! ( although not really on Saturn lol )
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    Getta Robo and RichardX like this.
  5. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Now that is something to be amazed about. Never mind PC builds, a true 100% Sega Saturn build. Fantastic stuff.

6. geluda

geluda <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Now that's something I didn't expect to see today! It feels nice to actually see a genuine screen shot for the Saturn version of this game, I'm really looking forward to seeing what else comes from it all. The Saturn was starved of an original Sonic game so it's nostalgic to finally be looking at it with my own eyes. Something I always loved the Saturn for was it's colour, it seems this game would have been just as colourful as I would have imagined it to be. Can't wait to see more!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  7. spinksy

spinksy Peppy Member

As said on the other forum, amazing stuff!!!

keep up the great work!

8. Energy

Energy Spirited Member

That is great to see!

9. soniccd123

soniccd123 <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

This is wonderful! Great work guys, this screenshot made my day XDDDD

10. MachineCode

MachineCode The Devil

I know I'm just adding to the +1 chorus, but great job guys. Like many, Sonic X-treme is my top all time "What could have been?" cancelled game.

11. drx

drx BLAST PROCESSING. SITE SUPPORTER 2015

That's great news.

Thanks for the updates Jollyroger.

12. f2bnp

f2bnp Peppy Member

This is purely amazing. Fantastic job for everyone involved!

13. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Oh wow. This happened WAY faster than I thought it would. This is pretty huge. Pretty sure the Sonic Adventure original Windy Valley was found way earlier this year, now this. What a solid year for Sonic. Keep up the good work! Thanks a ton.

14. Twimfy

Twimfy Site Supporter 2015

I never ever thought I'd see this happen, especially after the scene seemed like it'd peaked a few years ago. Shopping on eBay for a Saturn right now!!

15. jollyroger

jollyroger Gutsy Member

This is most of what I can reasonably do right now, without a NV1 and the Saturn debugger up and running, while I wait for the NV1 card and the System Disc.

It's going to take time, but I wanted to make sure you know I am committed to do something with this.

Jollyroger

16. grodecki

grodecki Member

Would you look at that. Fisheye on the saturn. Never thought I'd see that.

17. Motwera

Motwera Member

jollyroger: I have a question, how easy is it to connect the NV1-powered dev-PC to one of your computers that would help to transfer the build files over when finished compiling? Just curious, it seems that this computer is not stronger but more specialized than your typical 1998 PC (I never knew about the NV1 before, and I am not quite knowledgeable about GPUs before 2000s)

Is this something you can briefly at least answer?

18. Chad1233

Chad1233 Member

Very awesome picture of Sonic Extreme on the saturn this game has been one of my favorite lost prototypes for that system!! Also I can't wait to see that awesome tech stuff of C&C Commando as I am a HUGE fan of beta Renegade stuff.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  19. jollyroger

jollyroger Gutsy Member

The NV1 is a PCI board, therefore when it gets here it will be hosted by my 600MHz Pentium 3 system with Windows 98 (I also have a Windows 95 setup) that also hosts the Cartdev system, and it is plenty fast enough to compile the code by itself.

Having said that, I have a much more modern and powerful computer, which I use to wade through the data archive, have a better overall view of the entire codebase and build it more quickly (both natively in Windows 8.1 and inside a Windows 98 VM when specific tools require it), then anything can be transferred across to the NV1 machine over the LAN in a matter of seconds.

I hope this answers your question, I am not sure I fully understood it...

20. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Awesome work! I wish I had a way to play CD-Rs on my Saturn, but I guess I'll just use SSF when/if you decide to release this.