Sonic X-treme - Point of View - Info + help required

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by jollyroger, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Cerv3ro

Cerv3ro Member

Great news to see you still discovering new things, jolly, you are the man ;)

2. jollyroger

jollyroger Gutsy Member

3. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Very cool stuff. Any little piece of history is always a delight to witness.

4. darkspire17

darkspire17 None

So at this point this is nothing more than a testing build. in its prototyping stages

5. jollyroger

jollyroger Gutsy Member

Yes, this is a nice piece of history in my view, as it shows the first experiments to write the engine on PC/Windows, with 100% software rendering.

speedyink likes this.
  6. spinksy

spinksy Peppy Member

Really happy to see this still being worked on and new things still being found!
    Thanks all involved.

7. vexatious

vexatious Rising Member

Been looking into Sonic Boom for Mars 32X CD with 256meg ram+sram cartridge but these all seem to target PC NV1 and/or Saturn...

This completely open source?

Which build is useable to target Mars 32x CD with 256meg sega mapped ram cartridge? Seems these all target NV1 and or Saturn quad DSP. There open firmware that can make Mars 32x software compatible with these Quad DSP targets?

BTW thanks to those that made at least some of this open source.

8. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Did I miss something? I thought the available stuff is all supposed to be for the Saturn/NV1. The version of this game for the 32X platform was much earlier than what was found here.

9. vexatious

vexatious Rising Member

Yes you're kind of right but that's exactly why I'm asking. Seems Saturn has a useable editor here as well as PC. But Mars32xCD seems to have nothing. It's not just about Sonic Xtreme, but having something useful for content creation and editing. It's usually much easier to have source code to a functional editor and modify as necessary, vs creating software tool from scratch against an O.S. with gui and implementing all necessary audio video technology and formats redundantly.

AFAIK v37 and v40 of Sonic Boom are the only ones with source code available but supposedly are missing sound. There's not much talk about software rendering targets and how easy to add SH2+68k+ASIC, or if it's available in any form either.

Unfortunately it seems so far it's easier to make custom editor from scratch targeting Mars32xcd+ 256meg cartridge ram.

10. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

You're looking in the wrong place it sounds like. The Sonic Boom tool was only ever made for the PC iteration of Sonic X-treme afaik. There's no usable Saturn editor here either. It's a moot point to wonder where's the 32X version of the tool, you may as well ask where's the PSX or 3DO editors too. They don't exist.

32X CD games haven't been done in the homebrew scene yet afaik. Look up Chilly Willy's 32X stuff on the SpritesMind forums to get a start on 32x, assuming you know a thing or two about programming. Hoping to find something for 32X CD that also uses 256MB cartridge RAM is also futile since no games that accommodated such specs ever were made.

11. vexatious

vexatious Rising Member

OK.

I've already looked into devster sprites mind and monkeeh website but I'm going to do things myself I guess until I have something to update with. Will check out chilly willy's stuff. Thanks.

EDIT

TeH ImaGenesis from devster supports 32x and exports tilemaps and sprites to assembly, basic and C here http://devster.monkeeh.com/sega/imagenesis/. From other resources @ devster's site, it looks like only 68k with 15-bit framebuffer is supported and no mention of source code. Either way much better than nothing.

Contrary to what other sources say about Doom 32x source code not being available, this appears to actually be false. According to Doom Wiki, it's muxed with Atari Jaguar code (same code base). It's compiled by using conditional variable "MARS". Some GASM assembly is in the code. Most development involved with 32X elsewhere, including Sega SDK, does state MARS. This could be useful reference code for converting other Atari Jaguar code to Mars 32x too (AvP, Tempest 2000, etc). Supposedly the "Tom&Jerry" DSPs are just SH2s with custom framebuffer and DAC with firmware...? https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Sega_32X

Going to update my other threads to make it easier to find 32x tools for game making and maybe add some 32XCD edits of my own.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019