Sonic X-treme - Point of View - Info + help required

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by jollyroger, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Cr4z3d

Cr4z3d Active Member

Just tested both versions, PC one looks and plays great, nice feature being able to go in and out of fullscreen too. I see also that v40 was actually able to support higher resolutions, unless that's something in the code you added yourself. Saturn version, though I only can test it on SSF atm, is definitely a lot slower and the control even is a bit laggy, as well as the significant amount of cut animation frames, I can see how much trouble STI themselves were having with trying to port it, but it's honestly a miracle in itself that you were able to make a build that even runs stably on real, unmodified Saturn hardware.

All issues aside, it's crazy to see this even functioning before my eyes...here it is, THE fisheye Sonic X-treme, the real deal, and we finally have not one, but several functional versions OF that original code :).

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  2. OmochaoAbuser

OmochaoAbuser Newly Registered

Would LOVE to see someone port JADE01 to v40! Also, how do you go into fullscreen?

3. Cr4z3d

Cr4z3d Active Member

Just click it in the top right corner, it's possible to maximize to fullscreen and go back to windowed

4. zeldarocks

zeldarocks Member

Does anybody know when we are going to see the level editor released?

Also, when are the PackageX levels going to be ported to v40?

5. darkspire17

darkspire17 None

package X to v40 would be nice but not practical, remember there is no level retation or slopes in v40, it would be better to port to v35 and port the fisheye too

6. zeldarocks

zeldarocks Member

With that in mind: what does the future hold for Sonic X-treme?

Are we going to be able to realize the original vision more or less once we have access to the editor?

7. Clovergruff

Clovergruff Active Member

In short - no.
    The editor will probably just let you build levels. but levels alone don't make a game.
    If I remember correctly, Jolly previously said he might implement some kind of scripting layer or something, which may let us mod the thing and then perhaps we might have a chance.

8. Kyoto

Kyoto Active Member

Some Sonic fans are sure to build better levels than what the devs intended, just takes a lot of time!

9. Cr4z3d

Cr4z3d Active Member

Anything new so far?

10. spinksy

spinksy Peppy Member

I mainly comment on this on sonic retro but once again a massive thanks to Jolly for all the hard work (and ALL others involved in any way)

Playing this on my Saturn is brilliant! Really looking forward to more and I'm still amazed a thow quickly this has all happened.

11. Gemini

Gemini Retro developer

A whole lot faster indeed. Not sure how code works with the fisheye lens camera (I assume it alters rotation rows of the view matrix per polygon), but with that level of detail it should be no problem even at 60 fps.

12. Cr4z3d

Cr4z3d Active Member

Well, think it would be worth a shot then once all the dirty work is all said and done? A PS1 build could be fun, haha.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  13. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

A Sonic game on the PS1? If that's not blasphemous I don't know what is.

14. Cr4z3d

Cr4z3d Active Member

Lol, yea, I knew that kind of was from the start. Still, better 3D hardware...the Saturn was superior at 2D. I still think it would be interesting to see running, hell PS1 might actually do it better than the Saturn ever could like JR and the others were saying, perhaps we could have a more complete version on that system instead, unless Jolly does manage to work enough wizardry to have it run way better than it currently does on Saturn, which given his previous successes I don't put all that far beyond hope. We'll just have to see though.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  15. Energy

Energy Spirited Member

I know most the news has been at Sonic Retro as of late, but any updates for us assembler-ites? :)

16. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

A never before seen build made by POV was released for the Saturn. Here's a video of it:

TheTimeRanger likes this.
  17. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

The Sega Saturn POV build dropped when assemblergames forum was down. Check out the link for more info.
    We were hoping to do a simultaneous release, ahh well things happen. Anyways enjoy!
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=34255&st=0

Anything new ? hmm Next release is around the corner. ( The As is version of the level editor )

18. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

Hey guys , I wanted to inform you that JollyRoger will return to work on X-treme again more towards winter time.
    So far he's released multiple builds of the engine from STI and 1 from POV. The v37 level editor was also released. All the code grinding warrants a break.

Whats left:
    Lots of never before seen levels, and Upgraded V40 engine which may even run V42 levels.

spinksy likes this.
  19. Energy

Energy Spirited Member

That's exciting to hear. Can't wait to see what's left. Thanks for the update and I hope that JR isn't too burned out after all the development he's already provided.

20. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

He definitely deserves it. We have more than enough to enjoy right now during the break. Never before seen levels, you say? Very exciting. I'll be anxiously waiting. Thanks for the update, Andrew.