Sonic X-treme - Point of View - Info + help required

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by jollyroger, Oct 20, 2014.

1. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

This .def file is so old that I'm not even sure JR has the source code for the version of engine that this belongs to. The file code structure is different than the Saturn .def file structures.
    I'll be using the model I re-built in AXSX for sure. But yean, We just wanted to post these screens so you guys could get a glimpse of one of the early long lost levels.

P.S.
    JR still needs someone with a NV1 card to test out some stuff for him.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  2. rtw

rtw Site Supporter 2012,2015

If you want to try emulation, dege has just updated his Glide wrapper for DirectX, http://dege.freeweb.hu/, requires Win 7 and up with DX11.

3. Stiletto

Stiletto Member

Hmmm? NV1 does not use Glide or an ancient version of DirectX (well technically it does) but its own proprietary API called NVLIB. dgVoodoo does not wrap that.

4. rtw

rtw Site Supporter 2012,2015

You are absolutely right Stiletto. Seems like I got my APIs confused...

5. Clovergruff

Clovergruff Active Member

Just to ease the confusion:
    All of the .def levels were/could be used for both the PC and Saturn port of the Sonic Xtreme version that Ofer Alon and Chris Senn were working on.
    As for AXSX - it's a fan-made project where Sonic Xtreme is pretty much just being remade using Unreal Engine 3. Andrew is spending sleepless nights trying to rebuild the levels, fixing up obvious geometry problems, etc. This is one of those levels.

Oh, and those screenshots are from Autodesk 3D Studio Max, as far as I can make it out (Haven't used 3dsMax since 2009 or something).

Hope that helped! =)

EDIT:
    Lol, I didn't notice Andrew already answered that question. oh well.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  6. jollyroger

jollyroger Gutsy Member

Ok, the issues with the NV1 Saturn gamepad are now sorted, now to attack the editor's rendering glitches...

7. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

Jollyroger is Breaking it down!

Kind of a recap of what's going on. The code we have here is like a snapshot in time caught in the middle of an engine overhaul, and because of that many aspects for the Editor/engine are broken.
    JR states that One example is the code that calculates the shading of polygons based on their distance to the camera. When they are far enough from the camera they are supposed to fade to black but the original programmer forgot to initialize a variable, so ALL the other polygons were rendered with a pretty much random value.
    That value turns out to be completely transparent most of the time... it doesn't make sense at all for them to be all alpha blended, it is a waste of processing time, JR will eventually change the code to blend only the polygons that actually need blending.
    The editor has essentially two modes, in one you navigate the level with the mouse and you can edit the level, one block at a time or by strips of blocks.
    In the second mode sonic is playable. Sonic can jump, run up and down slopes, He can even run loops inside the long tunnel in the map.
    There is also a separate build setting which lets you build only the engine, with no editor. (gameplay only)
    You guys may recognize this area from one of the magazine screens. although the camera and sonic are off to the right of that magazine screenshot.
    [​IMG]

8. f2bnp

f2bnp Peppy Member

Oh, can I try, can I try? :p
    It's this one isn't it? Andrew, was this level also in the previous leak or was is missing?

[​IMG]

9. baraksha

baraksha Member

If sonic Xtreme would have been released with the name sonic boom, what do you think would happen to the sonic boom we have now?

10. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

Yep that's the area ! And no it was not in the previous leak.

11. Clovergruff

Clovergruff Active Member

It would probably just have a different title. But then again, it's really hard to say if we'd even get "Sonic Boom" if Sonic Xtreme actually got released...

Who knows, maybe it would've made Sega realize what makes a good Sonic game, and from then on would only create good Sonic games and we'd have Dreamcast 3 by now.....
    ....OR it would've been so bad it would've destroyed the entire friggin' Sonic franchise and made Sega go out of their hardware business before Dreamcast would even be announced.

12. baraksha

baraksha Member

to bad sega will never come back to consoles

13. itsthinkingstil

itsthinkingstil Rapidly Rising Member

14. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

We don't have anything related to boss engine here. I don't think JR will be doing a custom boss engine for Saturn.
    This may be the wrong place to post that link.

15. itsthinkingstil

Lol yeah i know iv already contacted jolly and he said the same thing he said he would use them once we have a engine (which im asking the fan base to make one) that and im using them for a school project but hopfully we will see these in a update version(assuming jr releases his version before we get an engine) hope i did not wast you time. (also updated the page, now have images with textures)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  16. itsthinkingstil

Hey jolly for animating my boss models did you find any leftovers from pov like software they were using (like development tools?) Thanks

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  17. Mr.NeddleMouse

Mr.NeddleMouse Member

Whoa. Cool.
    Looks like the level editor. But Better
    File location is in: c:\sonicboom\SOURCES

and it's- Its- ACTUALLY PLAYABLE?!?!?!
    Thanks for digging this up. Can't wait for gameplay or realise.
    :) so cool
    I've been waiting since 2010 for this...
    WORTH IT!!!

18. z3ntn3l

z3ntn3l 16 Bit Superstar

I've been waiting since 1996.
    Not sure if worth it ;-)

19. Mr.NeddleMouse

Mr.NeddleMouse Member

so anything new?

20. f2bnp

f2bnp Peppy Member

Don't get impatient now.