Sonic Extreme for Xbox

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by ProtonX, Apr 29, 2011.

1. ProtonX

ProtonX <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

I recently picked up a dev xbox and this game was on it. I haven't been able to find anything about this game. Just try searching Sonic Extreme... it bring up a bunch of hits for Sonic Xtreme. Anyways from what I have played (mission 1 and some player battles) the game was playable- still gotta see how complete. Just wondering if anyone knew anything about it?

Here is a short video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKgSOqS2g1I

There is sound, I just had it turned off and if i was using two hands, Sonic can do other moves.

Edit:
    Another Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAy0JE0-YFM

Combat Part of the Game:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjWwYMb_AgM

More info:
    I played through all parts of the game.

The goal of the missions is to get a key and then open a lock. That ends the misson. I could swear the first time I played it i got to at least misson level 2 and then a 3... but it has been freezing up or sending me back to the game screen when i get the lock... maybe im missing something.

Then the combat is a small area with 4 sub-zones. There are 4 keys, 1 for each zone. There are grenades, firecrackers, homing rockets and mines that can be picked up and used against the other player or to destory crates. Also pressing the R and L triggers at the same time moves both players back to the middle of the level- not effecting key earned or boxes destoryed. I couldn't figure out a way to win/lose/leave without quitting.

Then there is the race level. It feels a lot like Sonic Adventure 2 battle- the first level. You go around a seemingly neverending track, then when you finish it boots you to the game screen.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
    Trevgauntlet likes this.
  2. Twimfy

Twimfy Site Supporter 2015

Ok it's either a homebrew effort or you've stumbled across something very very very rare!

jamespoo likes this.
  3. ProtonX

I can take a better video when someone else is holding my phone later. It looks official.

4. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Looks a bit too polished for a homebrew effort (that possibly flew under the radar)

I'm no expert but that looks legit to me, the next step would be to preserve it before the hard drive dies!

Good find!

5. ProtonX

I think so too. It has a couple of other games I haven't heard of. Tiltronica, speedmetal, A Tech Deck (as in the fingerboards) version based on this sonic style, Seablade (haven't compared to the retail version) and a few others.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  6. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Possibly a product pitch, why they would put sonic on a skateboard is beyond me.

7. mooseblaster

mooseblaster Bleep. Site Supporter 2012, 2014

It may be related to Sonic Riders - which of course involves floating skateboards and *was* released on the Xbox.

8. Christer-swe

Christer-swe Fiery Member

Great find.

9. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Thats pretty awesome. Let me know if you need any help backing it up for yourself.

10. segaloco

segaloco Enthusiastic Member

If I could direct you towards a site, http://www.sonicretro.org/ You might want to talk with some of the higher ups about getting some more info about this out. (The people to talk to are Tweaker, ScarredSun, or drx)

Edit: And ignore anyone else from that site, they can be dicks about protos sometimes :p (I used to be one...but not anymore :p)

11. Twimfy

drx kicks around on this site too. I have him on IM, will see if I can catch up with him on there too.

12. ProtonX

13. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  14. ProtonX

@Segaloco, I tried to register there. However after about 10 attempts at the word check- i gave up. I had people confirming with me what I typed and that it matched, but it wouldn't let me. Oh well.

15. Twimfy

So weird. It's using Sonic Adventure art work, SA2 music. The item boxes are classic style which weren't used in the SA Generation onwards.

The crates are SA2 style.

Half of it screams homebrew the other half (animation quality of gameplay etc) screams real beta.

It's almost as if Sega approached a really small studio and asked them to make a mock up.

16. ProtonX

I think it was a Vision Scape Interactive unit. The system has also never been opened- its sealed. A few of the other games have copyrights for 2001 from them.

17. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

There's no way that's homebrew. At least not to my eyes.

If this is legit, would you consider a forum fundraiser for a dump of it?

18. ProtonX

@Alchy yeah, I probably would be. I am currently uploading another video of the combat part of the game. There are keys (which unlock other areas through portals), and grenades and fireworks...

19. Martin

Martin Resolute Member

Great find! Looks legit to me.

20. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

That's great news. I don't know if Assembler would be happy to orchestrate that but you two should definitely have a chat.