Sonic 3D Blast: Earliest build

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by speedyink, Sep 7, 2017.

1. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Well he's at it again! (Maybe we need a consolidated thread for all these :p)

I'm really excited to see this, I'm one of the few that actually really enjoys 3D Blast. I have both Genesis and Saturn versions, with the Saturn being my favorite.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Anthaemia. likes this.
  2. PixelButts

PixelButts Well Known Member

Damn Daniel back at it again

3. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Robust Member

He also revealed a Sonic R prototype

I was surprised that split screen was planned for Sonic 3D Blast
    I wonder if he has a build of the saturn version or some ex employee? That would prove to be interesting
    I know a prototype of 3d blast of saturn (tech demo) has already been released quite some time ago, but the ones he has are super early in development.

4. subbie

subbie Moderator Staff Member

Thread moved as request. Keep the good stuff coming. =)

speedyink likes this.
  5. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Anybody from here close with this individual?

6. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

You can easily reach out to him @jontt on Twitter. He's already mentioned wanting to share the Mickey Mania 2 ROM, so the same might apply to the other protos. Hopefully he's not getting pummeled by collectors trying to buy the things off of him.

7. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

These prototypes (along with footage of others uploaded to the same YouTube channel) are from the personal archive of Jon Burton, who is the founder and lead programmer at Traveller's Tales. Considering that his company had a policy - back then, at least - of developing new engine technology from scratch for each project, it doesn't surprise me that he took enough pride in his work to keep copies of early builds, especially in their initial tech demo forms. However, I'm also predicting that soon he'll find himself swamped with offers from collectors wanting to buy these so they can be given wider distribution, since I doubt he's going to be sharing playable code in a hurry...

P.S. I was expecting media from Sonic 3D to surface, but it's amazing that we didn't know sooner about the planned multiplayer feature!

8. Segafreak_NL

Segafreak_NL v2.0 New and improved. Site supporter 2012-15

Multiplayer would've been fun! Should've tried a vertical split screen perhaps.

9. dyer60

dyer60 Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015,2016

I was thinking that but it probably would have restricted view of the course as well.

Great to see this. The multi player would have been a neat feature and would would have required some programming tricks to get all that on screen at a decent pace I would imagine.

10. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

Awesome, thanks for sharing!