SOLD: Sega Katana / Dreamcast HKT-0120 Set 5.24 + HKT-0400 GD Writer

Discussion in 'The ASSEMblergames Marketplace' started by LeGIt, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P

HKT-0400 GD Writer by Yamaha for Sega Katana.jpg
    HKT-0120 Set 5.24 Dev.Box by Cross Products for Sega Dreamcast.jpg

OK, so why are you selling it?

I'm due to move home in a couple of weeks and I really don't have the space to bring everything with me, so I'm selling off the things I may regrettably live without in order to make room for the items I would most likely use more often. Unlike my previous sales, I don't actually need the money this time around lol.

It was really a toss up between keeping this or my Karaoke setup + System-Disc 2 but in the end the Karaoke system won. I'd still have to spend more money on another BBA, VGA box and a custom fully wired male to male pass through cable to make the Karaoke system usable for me but on balance it will let me do most of the things I need to do with less space, so the Katana has got to go.

I paid at least £600 + shipping for the pair a year ago (albeit I bought them separately) so I am looking for £620 + shipping for the pair (to account for inflation, not profiteer!) and I'd prefer to sell them as a pair or not at all TBH. This is partly due to me not really wanting to sell them nor needing the money so if you can't afford the pair I get to keep them muahahaha but also because they will be a bitch to ship but slightly easier to manage as a twosome.

International shipping in particular may be prohibitively expensive, especially shipped in a relatively timely manner with tracking so I think the best bet is maybe sell the item, ship it, then send further payment for the actual shipping cost once it is in the mail. As a guideline the Post Office wanted to charge £45 to send the Set 2.1 abroad within Europe, but the next airmail option with tracking and no insurance was £10.25 - and that was for something weighing only 400g. This will weigh several kg!

The buyer is more than welcome to collect the units from me in person, however bear in mind I'll probably also try and sell you both pairs of my Samba De Amigo Maracas and my HKT-7500 Twin Stick and blag a trip to Nandos for some extra hot Peri Peri chicken if you do! I live within the Greater Manchester area of North West England.

In an ideal world these would to go someone who appreciates the Dreamcast element more than the development oddity but interested parties will be dealt with on a first come first served basis.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
    Shane McRetro likes this.
  2. pscl227

pscl227 Member

Hi,

Lonnng time lurker, I would be interested in buying this at asking price (in in the UK)

I am interested in getting back into some recreational game dev after doing some on the Xbox back at uni.

Cheers,

Paul

Edit: where abouts are you based? I am happy to come pick it up if your not too far

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  3. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Thanks LeGIt for including me in the holding back group, it's greatly apprecaited!

I think your price is fair, but I'm not sure I can afford it, especially with the transatlantic shipping, so I'll pass!
    Yet, I'd be cool if you could get a quote for shipping to eastern Canada when you'll be at the post office to ship it, for future reference on my side. I'd appreciate it!

Thank you and good sale!

FG

ps: Damn I'd have like to be able to afford this! In a few years I could!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  4. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

Ha, I am also planning on making one of those when I get some time, just to be able to hook up the Karaoke system and make it "complete." However, as I understand it there are no songs on the GD-ROM (I can't exactly figure it out myself not knowing any Japanese...) and the online system is shut down, so it won't exactly be "usable," no?

Anyhow, regarding the Katana, sending you a PM...

5. pscl227

pscl227 Member

Just saw you updated your post to say you live in greater Manchester, I will be in the north west next Mon / tues / wed, so could pick it up with cash, any time then.

Cheers,

P

6. LeGIt

The pair weigh roughly 12-13kg (tested via holding on my scales and subtracting my bodyweight) unpacked so you're looking at roughly £100-£150 without insurance from the UK to USA & Canada via Parcel Force. Fear not however for there are other kits on your continent which may ease your financial burden in future!

I don't even know if such a cable would cure the problem as there may be some other gubbins missing form the Karaoke, but I do know that the original official pass through cable only has pins for Audio L, R, composite video and ground, so a custom fully wired male to male pass through cable is a good place to start on my S-Video/RGB/VGA Karaoke journey :)

There are some songs on the karaoke disc and without access to the online service the variety of songs available is somewhat limited, but provided it works I want a fully wired custom male to male cable just for the convenience of not having to change cables from composite to S-Video/RGB/VGA, plus I have a nice 17" TFT just for my Dreamcast which I'd like to use more often too, that is at least until I get a nice arcade monitor anyhow.

Provisionally Tuesday / Wednesday would work better for me, but I'd like to give the last one or two people on the list and maybe the odd person I may have forgot to add a chance to see the thread / get in touch, so if I haven't heard anything by Monday / Tuesday I'll let you know, but feel free to harass me after the weekend just in case I forget :)

WYSIWYG, but if I can find them, for a buyer collects offer I'll throw in a SCSI terminator, an Adaptec SCSI controller card, a couple of SCSI cables, a MIDI loopback cable, a Dreamcast controller, a VMU and possibly a few random games from my spares / unwanted pile in exchange for some Nandos Extra Hot Peri Peri Butterfly Chicken, two portions of Peri Peri rice, a bottle of water and the Extra Extra Hot Peri Peri Sauce (you pay but I'll nick the loyalty card stamp!) provided you have or at least try the Extra Hot Peri Peri too, or no extras deal! You may find this good value for money as the value of the extra items will at least equal but probably exceed the cost of Nandos for two ;)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  7. runkthepunk

runkthepunk <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Oooh nice pair! Cheers for putting me on the list Legit.

Let me just see what I can juggle about and I will get back to you by the end of the day.

A good couple of items indeed.

Rob

8. pscl227

pscl227 Member

I laugh at your "extra hot" peri peri and accept said chicken based challenge!!

9. runkthepunk

runkthepunk <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Hey Legit

Having juggled and jiggled I can't free up enough cash so yet again I am going to have to pass. Really annoying but to be honest the Nandos challenge probably would have killed me as I am terrible with hot food. (I am an old fashioned northerner chips and gravy please and nowt else)

Anyway hope it all goes smoothly

Rob

10. LeGIt

In the absence of any word from ackmed and bad timing on the listing of the kit for the others, I guess pscl227 wins by default.

The only real caveat at the moment is I can only find one suitable SCSI cable so you will be able to use the Katana or GD writer hooked up to the PC, but not both at the same time unless you get another cable. I used to have so many too but slowly gave them away over the years. Oh well. If you are still interested in Nandos I'll make up for it by including three of the better games from my spares / rejects pile then: NTSC-J Guilty Gear X (0), NTSC-U Quake III Arena (4) and a PAL-E Jet Set Radio (9) so you have a few games to get yourself started mastering the rotary switch.

11. pscl227

pscl227 Member

Hola!

Just been called to deepest darkest South America for work on Thursday, so will have to forego picking it up this week.

I'm sure we can sort something out next week once I am settled in, or alternativly in 7 weeks time when I get back, which would be preferable.

Cheers,

P

12. LeGIt

hehe the timing sucks but have a safe trip and have fun! I still should be free on Wednesday late afternoon and evening if you are in the area. If not no worries.

Unfortunately I'd have likely moved long before 7 weeks would lapse (ideally looking at 2 -4 weeks max, got the keys and furnished the place already but I'm only moving 2 miles away) which means this would need to be gone long before then to free up space, so I'll have to open up the sale as a free for all.

Any takers @ £620 + shipping for the pair? :p

There have been a lot of interested parties though but they are mostly skint, which isn't helped by my refusal to split the item into two separate cheaper sales because I don't really want to sell it lol.

I can't tell if this is a good or bad thing yet because if it goes I will surely miss it but if you are lucky I may still have the kit in my possession either when you are settled or get back, but if an eBay zero insertion fee weekend comes along any time soon, I may try my luck there.

Regards,

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  13. Psycho

Psycho We've gone plaid!

You get 50 free listings a month, don't you? (Or is that just a US eBay thing? The first 50 auctions I list in any calender month have no insertion fees, unless I opt for extra things like Gallery + or something... BIN, auction style, any starting price- no charge for the first 50...)

14. Shane McRetro

Shane McRetro Blast Processed Since 199X

Why am I always on the other side of the earth when these types of dev kits get sold...
    You know I'm interested, but shipping... shipping, oh dear lord think won't someone think of the shipping! :suspicion:

15. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

You are on the wrong side, young padawan. I do last time 27,5KG from canada.

16. Woofmute

Woofmute Site Supporter 2013-15, 17

PM sent.

17. superspeed

superspeed <B>Site Supporter 2012</B>

NVM

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  18. kzd

kzd Spirited Member

No more listing/insertion fees, but they will charge you ~10% of the final value, so price accordingly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.