Softmodded Xbox 1.6 - no video but audio and xbmc works

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by elypter, Apr 15, 2014.

1. elypter

elypter Member

hi
    my softmodded xbox 1.6 w/ upgraded hdd worked fine until yesterday.
    there is no video output whatsoever anymore but audio works and i can navigate through xbmc perfectly.

once i got an errorcode after booting(don't remember what it was) but that only happened once.
    i switched display and a/v cable, so these should be ok. i cleaned the mb and checked the visible solder joints and elkos on the mb.

does anyone have an idea what the cause of that problem is and if there is a way to fix it?
    it's been kind of a neat system. would be glad if it wasn't doomed to gather dust.

2. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

So you can see the error screen? Well since you're using AV cables I guess it's possible your TV doesn't display 60Hz.. With the information you've given it's a stab in the dark.

3. elypter

elypter Member

im using an projector and its been working until yesterday. also it doesnt work with a tv that works with another xbox. its a pal console. video incompatibility could only be the case if the console randomly switched video mode.
    there cant be an error screen. the xbox stops booting in that case but mine boots. i posted it because i suspected this to be foreshadowing.
    my guesses are that its either a bga problem with the excalibur chip or a bios bug but i have no idea how to test, let alone to fix it.

4. gs37

gs37 Robust Member

On debug and development kits you can change video regions with a combination of buttons. I think it's LT+RT+Black+White but I could be mistaken. I know you're using a modded retail version, but your dash might have that implemented as well??

5. kingkat

kingkat Robust Member

On a few modded bios' this feature is implemented, but he has a softmod, it would be almost impossible to do this without a TSOP'd or chipped console.

6. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

It wouldn't be a BIOS bug as it's softmodded.

7. elypter

elypter Member

LT+RT+Black+White didnt change anything but i can reboot the xbox with LT+RT+Start+Back or LT+RT+Back+Black and i used this a lot in the recent past. Maybe i triggered another key combination or this reboot can invoke a bug?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  8. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

LT+RT+Start+Back or LT+RT+Back+Black

Those are IGR.

It's still unclear when you lose video? Is it the whole time from boot up to dash?

9. elypter

elypter Member

sorry, there is no video output at all. i now tested it with a 3rd device. buttons, leds, hdd, audio and controller work fine.

10. Banjo

Banjo <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

If you have something plugged in to the TV which is S-Video, try removing that. Apparently it worked in this thread

11. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Check the AVOUT and check for bent pins in the connection. Other than that it's hard to tell without seeing photos of the board.

12. elypter

elypter Member

there are no other devices or cables connected to the projector and i also checked the connector and the solder joints. ill try to get or improvise an oscilloscope for signal probing