Social Media and Overpriced items

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Roc6d, Nov 28, 2017.

?

Has social media or youtube effected your collecting of video games?

1. yes

14 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. nope

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. I dont collect video games

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. yes, its a benefit to me

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Roc6d

Roc6d Spirited Member

i'm not a big collector but ive noticed once a big youtuber/ign/etc make a video or article about a game the item suddenly increases in price. As a collector does this affect your collecting progress or no?

I understand preserving game history is important specially in the days of almost all digital is approaching us very soon..but come on though.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  2. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Yes, to a certain extent, but not a whole lot honestly. Some things are more expensive now than they used to be given the rise of "retro geek culture" and all that horrendously cringey shit, but for the most part, the things I'm interested in collecting now are still fairly obscured from the eyes of big YouTubers. LGR came really close recently though, he bought an NEC-PC8801 which is a machine that I'm slowly getting into (as well as many other Japanese microcomputers, especially all of the weird and wonderful IBM ones) and I thought that would be the end of fairly priced PC-8801 stuff. And before that, he bought some nice Japanese PC games in plastic clamshell cases - something that I love to collect, so I was worried the prices on those were going to skyrocket! But it doesn't seem to have affected anything, I saw a great condition copy of Doom II for Windows 95 in its Imagineer clamshell case for 1500 yen a week ago. :p

skyway1985 and Zeigren like this.
  3. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Popular lads mention a title for discussion
    Price goes up for every mention

Roc6d likes this.
  4. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

A bigger issue I have is when people say "I would totally pay $5000 (or whatever) for that!" for something when they not only have no intentions of actually buying something, but also don't have the money if they wanted to. That leads to some inflation for rare items too, which leads them to sitting and potentially being forgotten/damaged because the person suddenly thinks its worth some crazy price. We see that happen every time a unique item pops up and gets lots of attention.

5. Roc6d

Roc6d Spirited Member

That brings another question have you notice people coming out the wood works after someone made a video or article about a rare item saying they have the same item? Also do you think that effects price and rarity of the item?

6. SO Remixer

SO Remixer Lovely Sweet Dream

It has had no real impact on what I choose to collect, but it has become such a source of irritation seeing items I am interested in obtaining inflate out of nowhere and indefinitely linger on at outrageous prices, all because some dime a dozen yet prominent mid to late 20 year old "lol randumb" cynical lets player on youtube with a million subs or so does a video on it and then their fanbase goes out and messes with the market.

DaChief touched upon it when he mentioned the "retro geek subculture," they're the ones who then go out and drive up the market. Just as irritating is how the "geeks" opinion of the game/peripheral is more or less is a carbon copy of whichever let's player they watched critique it, because these viewers don't bother to do any further research or formulate their own opinions. For the most part it's just spoon fed vapid content they take in to remain seemingly relevant as "retro geeks."

Overall, it's their thoughtless demand/psuedo demand for an item [as Borman mentioned, the kind of people who say: "I would totally pay $5000 (or whatever) for that!" and then don't even buy it or have the ability to pay anything near that bs price] that really messes with the market, because then people end up listing these items on online marketplaces for over their value and then they linger around never getting sold, perpetually fueling the false perception of "because [item] is listed on [eBay/Amazon] for a buy it now of [price value], it clearly must be worth that much" even though no one is actually paying that.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    skyway1985 and takeshi385 like this.
  7. MoonTar

MoonTar Site Supporter 2014

If anyone else noticed the price of the physical OG Xbox games that MS picked for the new BC feature on Xbox One went up.

skyway1985 likes this.
  8. mettleramiel

mettleramiel Robust Member

No, social media doesn't effect prices. It might affect prices, however.

MBMM and Bad_Ad84 like this.
  9. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Well that one makes sense, but isn't really relevant to the question here anyway. :p

10. MoonTar

MoonTar Site Supporter 2014

But...I found out about it through Youtube. :(

11. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

Yeah it's not really related, but it does bring about something related to overpriced games. I've seen when an overpriced game gets a digital release (the easiest example I can think of is Marvel vs Capcom 2 on the Xbox and PS2) the price of physical copies usually goes down, MvC2 was going for over $60 on those two (because Capcom didn't have the license as long as they did for the superior Dreamcast version) and they went about in half. After the games were removed from the digital storefronts, they started creeping back up again.

Back on topic, while popular Youtubers do certainly cause the price of niche retro games to go up, they're far from the only cause. Besides the ebb and flow of the market in general (N64 was way up last year, it's fallen back down this year), other releases in the new market, like the SNES Classic et al I think might be a bigger factor for a lot of lesser known games. And also, I don't think it's at all intentional.

Plus as a Dreamcast collector it's kind of off in its own weird corner of the market, more or less unaffected (except when Shenmue III was announced, that shot prices up for a while, and when it comes out will probably be worse).

12. abveost

abveost Peppy Member

If that ever happened with something I don't own but wanted it would affect me. And I'd have no one to blame but myself for not buying earlier.