So...who's keeping theirs sealed?

Discussion in 'Geist Force' started by daytonausa, Sep 12, 2012.

1. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

Don't get me wrong, I am not a sealed collector, but isn't the whole idea never to open the sealed game?
    Does it matter if it's broken, molded or whatever? it's about it never been opened, and it never will. Functionality is not important.

2. elmagicochrisg

elmagicochrisg Rising Member

It's about the game remaining in the same condition it was in when it was first released. Which does not include mold or whatever...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  3. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

I understand sealed collecting although I don't do myself, to a certain extent (I don't open any sealed games I acquired by chance, I'd rather buy another opened copy) - but in this case I think it's pretty much pointless. It might become valuable one day, but I can't imagine why even a sealed collector would pay extra money for a sealed copy. It's been shrinkwrapped in 2012 at home by Assembler who homemade those games, so literally EVERYONE could do it at home with some generic equipment. It's not like with commercial games that were only "touched" by machines prior to being sealed in hard to fake wrapping (i.e. with a PlayStation-logo).

4. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

I know it sounds shocking what I am saying to most, but clearly if you don't see it, know it and are not planning to open it,.....

5. lovewiibrew

lovewiibrew Site Supporter 2012

Mine will stay sealed. Bring on the torrent.

6. dutchconsolefreak

dutchconsolefreak Peppy Member

7. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P

Actually, it is one, the other, both, neither, all of the above and none of the above :p

8. runkthepunk

runkthepunk <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

I am not a 'sealed collector' either but being a videogame nerd I can understand the lure of being one. In this case however I don't really get the point of keeping it sealed unless you simply don't wish to run the risk of damaging the CD/artwork etc.

I say this because as far as I can tell, and have read in posts from people who have received their copy, the shrink wrap is exactly that heat shrink wrap, the type that is commonly used at a consumer level and can be either done at home or provided for a small charge at a local business. It does not have the same intrinsic appeal of keeping a 'branded' package sealed with its SEGA, NINTENDO or PLAYSTATION tear off strip intact.

ave kind of mentioned this earlier in the thread but basically its like this; you could open the game play the hell out of it put it back in the case get it heat shrink wrapped again and pass it off as "new sealed never played ASSEMbler super duper special edition" and no one would be the wiser. I understand collectors who put the game in their own collections probably would not do this but others might, and could if so they wished, quite easily.

I will be opening mine when it finally arrives but I am in England and the various UK postal services can be a little sluggish now and then.

Cool!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  9. G0dLiKe

G0dLiKe <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

keeping mine sealed and play from the torrent one :)

10. dark

dark Dauntless Member

I noticed that the cd case on my copy was bending inwards, perhaps from the heat, or imprecise manufacturing, or something else. The disc tray was literally bowed out significantly, and I was kind of concerned it could warp the CD to keep it in that case (so I moved it). I had two copies and they were both this way. So that's something to think about if you want to keep this sealed for some reason... the case could be bending the disc, and over time this could be damaging.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  11. brainpann

brainpann Site Supporter 2012

I am keeping mine sealed but ONLY because I know the iso will be released eventually.

12. simbin

simbin Spirited Member

Are more retail copies going to be sold or is the torrent coming out now? I wanted to buy a copy, but just couldn't afford it :( Looks like a good game for sure!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  13. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

Open the game, games are to be played and enjoyed, Not Horded and kept from people who WILL play them. Hording is an illness.

UGH I sound like a broken record hopefully one of these loonies will listen to me, open their game and enjoy it as it was meant to.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  14. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

I agree, I have no use for sealed games. However, looking at my place you would think im a hoarder lol.

15. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

It's the pot calling the kettle black, I actually was going to delete the comment... or at the very least replace it with a very simple, "You're an ass."

Still, WHY keep something sealed? It's already been answered here. BUT... WHY?

16. coolthxmcdoom

coolthxmcdoom Rising Member

I assume there are still some copies of the game left since the waiting line thread is still open. The torrent probably won't be released until everyone has their copy and some time has passed.

17. wombat

wombat SEGA!

Why? Well that's easy... a sealed copy will eventually be worth more then a opened one.

18. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

A doubt a sealed copy of this Geist Force will be worth anything once the Torrent goes live.

19. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Please, let's not go there again...

20. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

go where? My post is unrelated to the threads you are referring to.

I really don't see a sealed copy being worth anything more once the game is easy to get via torrent. The original GDROM may be worth something but the copies we all bought won't be or at least I don't think they'll be worth any more than what we paid. Just saying, that's all.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012