NOTICE So long, and thanks for all the fish

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by retro, Mar 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Hopefully, everyone saw the previous threads, which apparently "cause a feeling of disarray" and hence were deleted, and understand our reasons for not continuing.

By the way, before I bore you with my crap, you probably didn't notice....

BORMAN RESIGNED.
    SUBBIE RESIGNED.

As you're probably aware, Kevin and Admin have been logging in since November. We got one message from "Admin" nearly a month ago to say he had updated the site, as if it were a hired hand who is there just to patch the server. We saw Kev log in, both users use the same IP address. We had left a number of messages for him dating back before October even. In November, he promised to "slowly go through" our messages. He never actioned them or replied.

We don't have the facility to change anything - we don't have administrator accounts. We can't patch the server because we don't have access to the control panel or SSH.

Kev came back with his usual response - first, he takes a confrontational approach:

kevdeal.jpg

kevstrike.jpg

Then he goes into victim mode:

kevvictim1.jpg

kevvictim2.jpg

See the pattern? C'mon guys, let's have it out... oh shit, you're gonna answer back... OK, well I have a hard life and have to work, I have priorities that come before the site. I would explain, but you wouldn't understand.

It's the same broken record.

With that said, I am pleased that Kev has started to listen, has posted an apology to you all and is asking the staff for suggestions, moving forward. He promised us more staff to relieve the burden months ago, when the site was down it was a definite. That has been long overdue.

However, he HAS been rude and condescending. He wanted Demon's help getting the site up and running for months. He kept saying he'd contact him, he'd e-mail him the infected files to work out what happened. He didn't do it. He said he wanted to hire him. I appreciate, months later, Demon did say some things he shouldn't... but I also understand he was frustrated with Kev. It was rude of him to never contact Demon.

He told us we are SUPPOSED to be working on the site whilst he's earning money, like we are his minions. That's rude and condescending. We all have personal shit - I have a disability that I'm stuck with for life and a battle to get my benefits back. I lost my best friend. Yes, Kev has been through some truly horrendous things with his health, personal life and idiots on the site harassing him elsewhere and calling him, which is truly unacceptable. I don't wish what he's been through on anyone.

He keeps saying the staff aren't up to running the site. We couldn't handle the calls and death threats. Nobody but me knows PHP and Linux. That is an assumption, and a rude one at that. And VERY condescending.

kevlolreply.jpg

Yup... he ACTUALLY said he'd give admin rights to anyone but me. Once again, rude. I'd already said in public I wouldn't accept.

And why doesn't he want me to do it? GOOD QUESTION. He's not had the guts to confront me. He never explained why he demoted me... well, he gave a lie:

kevdemote.jpg

After shouting him out, I got a sort of explanation...

kevapology.jpg

...but not really.

Turns out Demon said that he has "gigs of data" from the site. Kev put 2 and 2 together... and got 17! Retro MUST have downloaded the database and given it to Demon! He didn't have the decency to confront me about it and hear my side of the story. He didn't even hear it from Demon... he made it up!

Only he forgot that the database was indeed gigs and gigs, and I told him I only had 1Gb free on my laptop and it was difficult to do anything, certainly not download the database. Or the fact he could have checked the SSH log and seen that I didn't download the database. I backed it up on the server, sure... that takes a command and you don't even have to look at it.

He also forgot that he told me to send Demon the log file, which we had an issue with because it was 3Gb and I couldn't download it from the server. I can't even remember how I managed that... with difficulty! I think I might have gone out and bought a hard drive with money I didn't have.

Yet he STILL bitched me out the other day about Demon harassing him and "acting on my behalf". I keep telling him he is not acting on my behalf, I haven't asked him to do anything and he needs to stop assuming things. After I gave him proof of what I sent and detailed every file, his response was... "OK. Please never mention him again. Thanks."

Talking of assumptions, did you know:
    • No one has money to pay for the site. Gamers don't have money.
    • Let other run it? No. I don't know anyone trustworthy. None of you can run the site anyway.
    • People are fleeing before. Why do they flee? The mods make drama about being on strike.
    • People who buy the devkits don't donate to the site.
    • The blossoming is casual people, they don't come to sites like this. They go to a shop and buy a game, then they lose interest and move on to something new. The people who come to the site now are not the people who made the site what it is.
    • We're reaching 33 years since famicom. People who remember that are in their 40's-50's. Most have long since left.
    • Retro gaming is a declining audience. People are older now, and less people.
    • If you try to talk about games with 99% of your peers in real life, they will look at you strange. They spend the weekends and time with kids and socially. Not talking about snes carts from 19 years ago.
    I'd say he's been pretty rude about everyone.

He kept you all in the dark about hacks and site downtime. He annoyed you all playing on Steam, then when he realized we noticed, made his account private rather than even giving an excuse that a family member was on his PC or something. He never contacted the authorities about people stealing passwords or injecting ads into the site, as far as I am aware. At least one of the hacked users asked him to do so.

Here is proof that I stayed up ALL NIGHT until 2pm the following day getting the server online. And asked for the files to work out how the injection happened:

kevfilereq.jpg

Here's proof that, WITH HIS PERMISSION, Demon had worked out what had happened and given the details so Kev could report it:

kevhackupdate.jpg

And proof that he ignored several questions, including whether he wanted me to send files to Demon. As he didn't reply, I DIDN'T SEND THEM:

kevnoreply.jpg

My mind was made up when he demoted me. I helped keep the ship afloat whilst he was gone. I agreed with the strike and being upfront with the users. He pushed me the other day when he said anyone except me... that was uncalled for, especially as I have said several times I would turn it down if asked.

We all have real life issues, Kev. Yours sucked, and I am sorry you had to go through that. Ours do, too.

Anyway, maybe the forum is heading in the right direction now. I won't be on the staff to help any more, though. I've put too much time and effort into this site, and came out with a huge credit card bill, holes in the crotches of all my jeans and worse health than ever. I won't be making that mistake again.

Thank you so much to my fellow former moderators @Yakumo @Borman @subbie @karsten @HEX1GON @Johnny @Jackhead - it's been a pleasure working alongside you all. And the latter 3... let us know what you're doing! ;)

- retro, moderator 22 June 2014 - 15 March 2018
    [​IMG]

2. NexTheReal

NexTheReal Just call me Nex

can't wait for this thread to get deleted

3. hiroki

hiroki Active Member

Ah Retro going off what you've wrote you have made the right decision.

Since this place is going a bit "neogaf" with all the mod resignations - is there another site people are heading to?

4. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

Oh mate....

5. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

We never had such a plan or idea.

While I had the wish to work out something, most of the others are way too burnt out to think of making something new at the moment.

6. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

You will be missed Retro, but this is understandable. Please take care and hope to see you around on the interwebs :)

7. hiroki

hiroki Active Member

No I meant is there one like assemblergames that people from here frequent already.

Not is anyone making a brand new site to compete (like what happened with Neogaf).

8. retro

Hopefully things aren't that bad! ;) Stick around, make suggestions on what needs changing, give it some time to get going again. Hopefully Kev will be more receptive to ideas now. Other sites are available, none ever claimed to be the same. All video game sites have a certain focus, ASSEMbler's focus is still pretty unique.

thepokemask, Syclopse, hiroki and 2 others like this.
  9. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

thank your for your services. and also for shedding a light on all that behind-the-scenes drama (in a sensibly-censored way no less - good job).

haven't scoured them for known faces, but there's for example nesdev, nintendoage, sega-16, byuu's board, and obscuregamers.

jakeeeenator and hiroki like this.
  10. f2bnp

f2bnp Peppy Member

Yeah, this place is falling apart. I want to thank all the mods for their contributions throughout the years. It has been fun.

Yakumo likes this.
  11. XeDK

XeDK -___-

12. Logi26

Logi26 Site Supporter 2014

All of the mods done a great job on here, this is a sad day for the forum.

karsten and Yakumo like this.
  13. Stipo360

Stipo360 Dead Rising & XDKs

Jesus christ, 2018 is really the year for video games huh.

SWEGTA and DeChief like this.
  14. retro

Nobody plays video games any more. They socialize with family ;)

jakeeeenator, MBMM, DeChief and 2 others like this.
  15. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

That's because "gamers have no money" and all of today's games are being turned into DLC-fests. Can't play what you can't pay :cool:

16. Stipo360

Stipo360 Dead Rising & XDKs

Except from 9pm to 11pm!

[​IMG]

NexTheReal, fate6, MBMM and 1 other person like this.
  17. Droid III

Droid III Rising Member

It doesn't help that a decade ago retro games were diamonds in the dollar bin, today they cost more than brand new titles. A cart only copy of Super Mario World starts at $15.

I stopped collecting Saturn for that reason. It's just impossible to afford now.

18. retro

Then who the hell is buying them?! Not the kind of person who comes on forums for rare video game collectors, apparently! :p

GoodTofuFriday likes this.
  19. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

I hope you'll stick around retro. You've always been a part of the essence of this community.

DeChief likes this.
  20. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

And they certainly don't care about retro gaming anymore, right? Only people who were around at the time can care about the past, right? Right? ;)

What a load of shit, that's one of the stupidest assumptions Kevin has made. I'm 19, I was barely even around for the first Xbox and the PS2 was my first gaming console. Retro gaming isn't in decline, if anything it's on an upswing or has at least plateaued.

Thanks for all you've done, @retro.

Taijigamer2 and GoodTofuFriday like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.