So is there a list of confirmed Saturn prototype games?

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by GaijinPunch, May 26, 2004.

1. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

Sonic X-Treme

The preview code of Sonic X-Treme shown at the 1996 E3 was definitely playable, and according to various interviews with former Sega Technical Instiute staff it featured the earliest complete version of the bonus stage and a single level of the first zone (Jade Gully) without any collision or enemies. I really don't know how bad/good this game was, but generally the feedback from those at E3 that year is that X-Treme's main problem was with its frame rate - this also follows what has been mentioned in the past by ex-STi members.

I know for definite that the X-Treme was developed on the Saturn using FOUR different engines, with most screenshots (usually those with the "fish-eye" camera lens effect) originating from the first, which was actually a modified version of the BUG! engine. The group then moved on to the NiGHTS engine, but after a few weeks of initialising and preliminary coding Yuji Naka of Sonic Team threatened to... well, I'm sure that you all know about what happened next - it's become a Sega legend!

The next engine to be utilised for the Saturn version of Sonic X-Treme was a port of the engine programmer Ofer Alon had created for the PC, though it ran so slow (yes, even worse than the E3 demo!) that the team instead chose to use Chris Coffen's own Saturn-based boss level editing tools for the whole game. Screenshots from these later builds feature a completely different heads-up-display, and you could even say that the game looks complete (even if only the first level and a Metal Sonic boss encounter have been seen, suggesting that very little - if anything else at all - actually exists).

Following the acceptance that they could not meet their Winter '96 release deadline, STi abandoned the project and was soon dissolved. However, for programmer Ofer Alon and designer Chris Senn, this proved the perfect opportunity to continue with the PC version, free from technical constraints and the impossible completion dates imposed on the console edition. A four-level demo was sumbitted to SEGA PC for approval, but this division was only interested in releasing either direct arcade ports or conversions of existing console software - did they not realise that X-Treme was originally intended to be a high profile Saturn title? Contrary to what has been said elsewhere, Hayao Nakayama did NOT throw a copy of the game into a trash bin (as it was actually Greg Swoarez of SOA and not a member of SOJ that was in charge of X-Treme's ultimate fate).

I'm sorry to repeat much of the Sonic X-Treme "myth," but from what I have read I personally find it hard to believe that there was never a playable version of this game. Also, the suggestion that copies are still available in the 'bay area' isn't too surprising - isn't that where STi were based? I don't really know about threatening someone's life for a copy (though murdering Yu Suzuki for Shenmue Saturn Version has entered my consciousness before!), but animator Rob Harris once leaked character sprites from the game while Chris Senn has some artwork and concept music on his website.

The major players in X-Treme's production have all said that they could find copies, but would not be responsible for leaking anything because of "sentimental" reasons - Chris Senn was supposedly in a serious physical state as a result of his exhausting 16+ hour day work regime, so I can understand why he may be reluctant to revist the past. Can't we just appreciate that this game is doomed and highly unlikely to ever appear again, unless you consider a few scanned magazine articles and some brief video footage compensation for its loss?

2. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Lemon Party Organizer and Promoter

Nice post. While I totally recognize the fact that "something" in a playable form might be out there in terms of this game, I've heard so many prototype rumors that are unsubstantiated, I generally call bullshit until someone provides at least images. If they don't want to provide even images, it means I'll likely never see the thing played, so it might as well "not exist." Hence, I think to myself (and say out loud) "it doesn't exisst." Just a little system I have, and not meant to be taken personally.

3. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I was looking through one of my boxes today that I had brought over from the UK. To my surprise my early build of the Saturn game Wing Arms was in there!!. I rushed it to my Saturn for some nostalgic early beta gaming ;-)

This early build has no mission directives at all.
    Only one level that never seems to end.
    All plane models are present but not all are playable.
    Completely no AI what so ever. The enemies just group in a huddle after so long.
    No collision detection. You can fly right through the enemy fighters.
    You can't crash. The plane just levels out above the water.
    Really odd handling that is nothing like the final game.
    The sky and sea brake apart leaving a gap between the two.
    Possible to fill the screen with messed up sprites after zooming in and out of the plain a few times.
    Different title screen (if you can call it that)
    and probably many other differences.

If anyone would like to see screen shots of this then I can connect my Saturn to the PC for some high quality pics.

Yakumo

4. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Guest

Oh hell yeah I'd like to see that! :drinkers:

5. Yakumo

Not dial up friendly

Here you are then. Some nice sized pictures from an early build of Wing Arms.

Original Title Screen
    [​IMG]

Plane selection screen
    [​IMG]

Nice Polygon Graphic Glitch
    [​IMG]

The plane doesn't know which is up or down thanks to crazy cameras and odd controlls
    [​IMG]

The Sky hates the Sea :smt045
    [​IMG]

Not the elephant man but the elephant plane
    [​IMG]

Front view of the plane
    [​IMG]

I made a mistake in my above post when I said not all planes are playable. They actualy are all playable but all have the same cockpit and same handling.

Yakumo

6. Segafreak_NL

Segafreak_NL v2.0 New and improved. Site supporter 2012-15

Cool screens :smt023

7. Taemos

Taemos Officer at Arms

re

Great shots, Yakumo.

I'm curious however, (I probably should know this by now) how do you play beta games on your Saturn? Do you just own a development Saturn or do you own a modded one?

I probably knew this, but I can't remember right off hand...

8. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

Actually i belive he just does the swap trick, nice shot though Yakumo.

9. link343

link343 Spirited Member

MGS and Policenauts info please.

10. Yakumo

Re: re

To play back ups on a saturn all you need to do is a disc swap. It's very easy to do and works 100% of the time as long as the game being played has the same region code as your Saturn. My Wing Arms disc boots without any disc swaps though.

Yakumo

11. koolkid13

koolkid13 Enthusiastic Member

OMG! I would pay so much money to play Metal Gear Saturn!
    At least 3 dollars!!!

12. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Guest

Thanks for those pictures Yakumo :)
    So you got an official beta disc?? :smt030

13. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

So Yakumo, can't you share anything else than pics of this beta with us? :smt033

14. Yakumo

Hmm, by that would you mean a video or an Inside System Overview ? :-D

Yakumo

15. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

Is Soooo Obvious :smt043

16. Taemos

Taemos Officer at Arms

Whatever are you talking about, Yakumo? :smt043

17. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

Lolo clever very clever.

18. Yakumo

Yes, I think I can swing a Inside System Overview. I'll add it to the FTP for this week end.

Yakumo

19. id-republix

id-republix Guest

You're the best. :smt023

20. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

Fight For Life Extreme

I just thought I'd answer that question relating to Fight For Life Extreme...

This was NOT a sequel to Fight For Life, but a name given to the final version of the first game by fans (if such a poor title deserves any) because it looked so different to the earlier screenshots printed in advance of its release. The project had already been rejected twice due to quality issues, but somehow the end product was drastically improved, hence the "Extreme" tag - sorry if I have caused any confusion!

P.S. Yakumo, those prototype Wing Arms images are brilliant - it's great that this amazing thread is still going strong, especially for those interested in unfinished games (like myself)!