So is there a list of confirmed Saturn prototype games?

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by GaijinPunch, May 26, 2004.

1. Segafreak_NL

Segafreak_NL v2.0 New and improved. Site supporter 2012-15

Eidos dumped Fighting force and left it for SEGA to pick up and publish themselves. SEGA saw the psx version was crap and didn't bother. Tomb raider 2 was bought by Sony.

2. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Lemon Party Organizer and Promoter

I thought the Japanese version was unreleased as well.... I've not seen a copy of it anywhere. Well, I take that back... apparently it was released. Just never seen one before. :)

3. devilredeemed

devilredeemed Intrepid Member

its actually not that rare - there was one on ebay for 15 dollars or so a few weeks back.

4. GaijinPunch

Never, ever, ever seen one on YJ.
    Haven't gone too far out of my way to find one, but have peeped from time to time.

5. A. Snow

A. Snow Old School Member

What about the English translation of Policenauts? Wasn't it like 75% complete before Konami scrapped the project?

6. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

Unreleased Saturn Games

Devilredeemed, the name of that unreleased fighting game was Kumite by 47-Tek. Konami were going to publish the title, but it mysteriously disappeared. I personally believe that such ambitious graphics (often compared to Virtua Fighter 3, and unfairly in my opinion) caused far too many problems on both the Saturn and PlayStation to justify the continuation of development.

Kumite seems to be very similar to another unreleased game - Fight For Life Extreme on the Atari Jaguar - but only a few people will probably have ever heard of this one. Let's just say that it was intended as a response to Virtua Fighter, though visually it had more in common with Battle Arena Toshinden and other second-rate games in the 3D fighting genre.

Both titles weren't exactly going to be amazing, yet the loss of such games always seems to raise their anticipation. Seriously, does anyone think that the Biohazard 2 prototype (AKA "Resident Evil 1.5") was really any good? Capcom have already given us a second Biohazard, and it turned out to be quite good - even if it isn't how they had originally envisioned the game to be!

As for the English translation of Policenauts, I'm sure that I read somewhere of a nearly-complete build being in circulation. However, I'd be more excited if someone was to leak the supposed prototype Metal Gear Solid for Saturn...

7. GaijinPunch

Re: Unreleased Saturn Games

I'm not much of a Biohazard man, so am unfamiliar. Is this the Saturn Biohazard 2? If so, I thought it got almost nowhere... I've seen nothing other than announcment, in Sega Saturn magazine.

8. Nintendomad

Nintendomad <h3><I><B>REST IN PEACE<BR>IN MEMORY OF<BR>A TRUE<

There is indeed a prototype version of Metal Gear solid for the Saturn but it is the earlier build of the game with far less texture mapping and completely different maps and such.Early pictures can be found in edge mag of the psx build of this version, though people within Konami have stated work began on a saturn port early in the dev cycle.What a shame it was not made for the saturn as well.Could have injected a new lifeline into the machine in late 98.

As for english saturn Policenauts...I too have heard there is a build already in circulation but have yet to come across it on ftp's or torrent sites.According to many it is there though so my search continues. :smt045

9. GaijinPunch

I actually know someone that was pretty high up on the MGS design team. I should ask him about it. Had no clue until now there was rumor of one, so it never crossed my mind.

10. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Re: Fake Down

Fighting Force was originally developed by Core for Sega as the next Streets Of Rage title. Sega saw how shit it was and decided not to bother with it. Core then continued development for the PSX. Not sure why Ninja wasn't released for Saturn.

The Official UK Sega Saturn magazine gave away a demo disc that featured a rolling demo of Saturn Fighting Force. It ran in high-rez and featured much more solid graphics than the PSX's bendy polygons. The rolling demo took place on the streets out side of a skyscraper. Then inside a lift going up, from what I can remember.

I'd love to be able to see this again. Unfortunately I no longer have the disc but someone in the UK must still have it.

Yakumo

11. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

Fighting Force

I have a video copy of that rolling demo, but it definitely wasn't from the cover of SSM - I'm sure it was either Saturn+ or Saturn Power, though I have a complete collection of the official magazine (including those with discs, except the Bootleg Sampler that came with some editions of the third issue) and Fighting Force isn't on any of those.

Also, I must point out that this game seems to be running in the Saturn's standard 320x224 resolution (or at least this is what the video I have is encoded in). The frame rate and polygon warping are improved over the PlayStation version, but in the end I can see why Sega of Europe dropped this game... even if Sega of Japan's later efforts at a Dreamcast update to Streets Of Rage weren't exactly amazing, either!

Does anyone have screenshots of this prototype Metal Gear Solid code for the PlayStation that supposedly appeared in EDGE magazine? Let's hope that this former MGS designer reveals some information regarding the Saturn build as well, as I'd love to know about the technical details (estimated completion percentage, reasons for/date of cancellation, frame rate, resolution, etc.)!

P.S. The prototype version of Biohazard 2 for the Saturn was cancelled at a very early "alpha" stage, with a figure of 15% mentioned by Capcom during interviews with co-producers Shinji Mikami and Hideki Kamiya. An exact number has never been revealed for the PlayStation edition, though an artist for the FMV sequences once said that a copy of the game was known to be 80% complete with only the ending sequences for one character left to be produced. 75% has also been mentioned several times, which suggests that the remaining work was bug testing and optimisation. Can a game really get so far into development before it is abandoned? Capcom must have been very unhappy with their results to restart production at such a late point in this high profile game's creation!

12. GaijinPunch

Re: Fighting Force

Unfortunately, yes. There's quite a few games throughout the years that were playable through end, but wound up in the bin.

13. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

Re: Fighting Force

Propeller Arena is a very good example in this case.

PD

14. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Guest

I find it rather odd that Capcom's rumoured reason for abandoning the Saturn version of BH2 was the lack of commercial perspective... while Capcom went on to release stuff like Marvel Super Heroes VS Streetfighter, Streetfighter Zero 3 and even the 2nd last game to be released, Final Fight Revenge :smt071

15. GaijinPunch

You can always search for Biohazards sales figures on the Saturn. If they were unsatisfactory, then there's your answer.

16. devilredeemed

devilredeemed Intrepid Member

Re: Unreleased Saturn Games

Kumite that was it, thanks!
    Remember though, I was anticipating this game back when it was in development - moreover because I was a Saturn owner with very little in the way of 3D fighting games, which I loved back then. The graphics where not that great but looked nice enough - and the supposed intricacies in the gameplay mechanics intrigued me (there was the possibility of usong traditional weapons).
    Fight For Life Extreme? a follow up to Fight For Life then?

17. Mr. Rare

Mr. Rare Robust Member

Hey guys,

I've been skimming this thread, so I don't know if this has been covered yet. Did Saturn Sonic Extreme ever get leaked? I know a guy who has it, but getting it from him would be like tearing a fetus from a mother’s womb... :angry

18. Divine Evolution

Divine Evolution Peppy Member

Coat-hanger game retrieval.

Bay Area ehhhh? If he really does have Sonic eXtreme I'd be more than happy to threaten his life for it. :smt042
    ~Krelian

19. FLEABttn

FLEABttn Guest

Re: Coat-hanger game retrieval.

As would I.

20. GaijinPunch

Uh... javem
    t Spmoc Extreme claims all been defunct since developers have stated there really wasn't a playable build on Saturn hardware... at least as far as I read.