So is there a list of confirmed Saturn prototype games?

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by GaijinPunch, May 26, 2004.

1. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Lemon Party Organizer and Promoter

Yeah, that's it. There's a two page spread in a Saturn Magazine I've got. I'll have a look at what it's all about and likely post something on JG next update or two.

There's a few 2-page spreads on Contra: Legacy of War which was never released, and is a turd from what I hear.

2. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I have a US "back up" of that crap. Even the 3D glasses effect doesn't save it. It'S far too hard too. I belive it's also on the PlayStation.

Yakumo

3. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Guest

huh? so it was released in the US or are you talking about a leaked beta?

4. wombat

wombat SEGA!

I thought the game really was released in the usa.
    note: thanks yakumo for sharing the enix beta with us :)

5. There is some PSX Contra game at the local gamestore, I'm going in today (if things aren't closed for Memorial Day) and will have a look to see which it is.

6. Yakumo

I'm pretty sure that Saturn Contra was released in the US. If not then I have an unreleased game YEAHHHHH!!!!! but I'm sure it was released :smt009

Yakumo

7. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Contra was indeed released in the US. Would like to see this English patched game of FleaBttn's!

8. GaijinPunch

Would much rather see Virtua Fighter 3 and Shenmue betas, but I guess that won't happen.

I'm curious to see what later issues of Sega Saturn Magazine show. Some sites state that Sonic: The Figthers and Virtua Fighter 3 were in near-complete stages and then axed. I find this extremely hard to believe, considering Sega pushed their games through mags big time, even at the only 50% complete stage. Azel Panzer Dragoon RPG had multiple pages every issue for months until it was released.

9. Yakumo

I remember the British Official Sega Saturn Magazine showed the background images from Sonic Fighters. They stated that they were 2D like the ones seen in Saturn Last Bronx but were from the Saturn version.

That magazine was amazing for news. The showed Dreamcast Scud Racer too (Tinny little picture) and many others. When I go home next week I'll get all of my Saturn magazines out of the loft and have a look through them for some interesting info. Just hope that my mum's PC has a scanner otherwise It will have to be a digital camera job.

Yakumo

10. wombat

wombat SEGA!

why oh why did sega never released scudracer for the Dreamcast, (and so many other neat games) :smt022

11. Yakumo

Dreamcast Scud Racer was only a tech demo by Core Design who were very close to Sega in the days of the Mega CD and Saturn.

Yakumo

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Scud Racer

I loved that game in the arcades...damn what I wouldn't trade for a home version...

-hl718

13. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Guest

I believe that back in the VF3-for-Saturn days there was talk of a Scud racer port for Saturn, but it never materialised :smt022

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

He will be coming back but has some personal things in his life he has to get sorted first. He will return somtime soon hopefully.

15. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

Saturn Scud Race

The plan was that AM2 would only consider a port of Scud Race for the Saturn if their conversion of VF3 was successful enough to warrant the development of another Model 3 game. We all know what happened to VF3, though apparently Sega still wanted to pursue a home version of Scud Race, hence their licensing out of the title to Core Design for the infamous Dreamcast tech demo. For the Saturn version, I'm fairly sure that even AM2 would have needed some form of performance boost. I'm even willing to bet that Lockheed's Real3D technology was being touted as the possible heart of the so-called "Eclipse" upgrdae, as this was also behind the Model 3: Step 1.5 hardware that powered the original arcade Scud Race. Fighters Megamix proved that you could lose some of the speed and detail from a Virtua Fighter game and still make it playable, but with Scud Race it was all about the incredible detail and the sheer speed - there was no room for compromise with such a game, though I would love to have a copy of the Dreamcast version...

P.S. Hasn't anyone recognised my (new) name yet? Let's just say that I changed it to match my e-mail account, but also to stop people from thinking that I am some newbie Sega fanboy - I have other consoles as well, you know!

16. GaijinPunch

Sorry to revive an old thread, BUT...

I just ran across a strange discovery. Flash Sega Saturn Vol. 23 has a demo version of Ninpen Maru on it. I popped it in last night - it has quite a few playable stages. Is the English leaked version the full game?

Not sure what they were thinking trying to releasing this in the states on the Saturn. A very "japanese" game, if you will.

So far as I can tell, you just walk/run from platform to platform. No enemy squashing or shooting. Would I be right in saying that?

17. Yakumo

I found out some news about the Ninpen Maru English beta. It is the full game but not a beta from Enix. It turns out that this is a home brew translation job :smt022 So it's not a really beta at all. So, it looks like we're still looking for some real Saturn beta games to turn up.

Yakumo

18. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

There are one or two floating around... only one that's really escaped the developers' offices would be Return Fire... Mr Saturn (think that's what he's called) has a copy.

19. devilredeemed

devilredeemed Intrepid Member

one western saturn game that looked very far into production was featured several times in UK magazines (extensively infact) and was a complex martial arts tournament style game witha very unique control system - many fight styles represented with alot of moves per character. it was in 3D and looked hugely ambitous - then it dissappeared all of a sudden... can't remember the name but it was something simple and trivial like 'kata' or shaolin' or something related to martial arts (damn its on the tip of my tongue).

then there was this resident evil style looking game that never made it out. all I remember was that it was a game set for release in japan the main character was bare foot and bare chested and may have been half demon/monster devilman style. a very dark looking game. the info was on the net about 7 years ago maybe?

20. saturndual32

saturndual32 Guest

Fake Down

The name for that Resident Evil type of game was Fake Down, i think. I have a screen shot of it on one of my Game Fan mags.
    What ever happened to the Saturn versions of Fighting Force, and Ninja by Core? (i know the came out on PSX, and sucked). I remember seeing screen shots of Fighting Force, and Ninja was initially a Saturn project. One would think there would be protos of these 2 games.
    Legacy of Kain was to come out on Saturn but was canned.
    Oh, and i remember Core mentioning that they had one guy working on a Saturn version of Tomb Raider 2, wich was also canned for some reason (well, the reason might be Sony, hehe).