So is there a list of confirmed Saturn prototype games?

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by GaijinPunch, May 26, 2004.

1. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Lemon Party Organizer and Promoter

Who made Return Fire? I see that Softbank was going to release it in Japan, but if I'm not mistaken, they've published a few western developed games, no?

I hinted around to purchasing the source of Monico no Shiro to Pioneer LDC (which is actually a different company now). They emailed me back within like 15 minutes saying "we couldn't release it for various reasons. There's no longer anyone in charge of the project we can direct you to" which meant don't be an effing idiot.

Retro:
    I didn't see the IRC threat. I'm not going to add much to it, but point out that I think the whole thing smells funny. I mean, how fun would the forum be if everyone agreed all the time? Just shrug it off and let's keep going.

2. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Soft Bank released all of psygnosis's games on the Saturn in Japan and maybe Tomb Raider or was that Victor who released that?

Yakumo

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Another.

Has anyone else here in Japan seen the Saturn VF3 proto?

4. Paulo

Paulo PoeticHalo

Re: Another.

Theres been alot of talk on the forum and no one has actually seen it running as far as i can remember...

5. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Guest

hush, or Segata Sanshiro will return! ;-)

6. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Return Fire was made by... oh damn, I can't remember. There's a little developer plus a bigger company was due to publish... ask me later

All behind, Gaijin ;)

7. Paulo

Paulo PoeticHalo

Its about time someone as interesting and informative as him makes a comeback! :smt043

8. Yakumo

I found the disc with the ISO for that so called Saturn beta game. The title of it is Nipen Manmaru (BETA) (I belive the real title to be Nin Penman Maru) Acording to Game Faq it's by Enix USA which I find very hard to belive with a name like Nipen Manmaru. I'll burn it to a disc on Sunday and take a few shots of it for you. By the way, here is GameFaq info on it which is probably bull like many other times http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/saturn/data/31113.html

Yakumo

9. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Its PUBLISHED by them, not written.

10. GaijinPunch

So I take it it was a US version that was leaked?

EDIT: Thumbing through an old Saturn Magazine. I see a two page spread on it.

Says it's developed by Enix. I'll scan it and put it on JG at one point.

11. Yakumo

The one I have is in Japanese and even says Beta in katakana on the title screen.

Yakumo

12. GaijinPunch

More Saturn Mag digging.
    In a few issues (1997 vol.5, then several weeks later in issue 1997 vol. 30 or so) it has VF3 in the top 5 of the most-wanted list. Both times, it states 10% completion.

that could very well mean, "not even close to done w/ the planning phase" yeah?

13. FLEABttn

FLEABttn Guest

I believe someone actually did a translation patch for it. I have an English Ninpen Manmaru right here. I could probably through it up on my site if there's a demand for it.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

vf3

In an interview with yu suzuki time ago he stated that Shenmue in saturn were running without new hardware, only with ram expansion, and they had also a build of vf3 running too without special hardware.

15. GaijinPunch

Re: vf3

Cool beans. Remember where, by any chance?

16. FLEABttn, I know I for one would like to take a look at the English patched version of that game, if you wouldn't mind.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

vf3

I cant find the interview right now :smt009 , he was talking about saturn programming and such, btw, searching for it i find the shenmue saturn one.,. and i was wrong:

Q: Can you tell us a little bit more about the unreleased Saturn version? How long had it been worked on, and did it use the experimental Saturn expansion cartridge or the 4meg RAM card?

A: Nearly two years of work was put in the Saturn version. It didn’t use a booster cartridge nor did it use the 4meg RAM card, so yes, the game was programmed for, and the footage seen as an extra on Shenmue II is from the code running on a stock Saturn.

Impressive :prayer:

18. GaijinPunch

Re: vf3

Indeed.

Think of that... 2 years of work on it, for it to become a small clip on the DC version of Shenmue II. Most good games take two years to make. A buddy of mine was on the design team for MGS (design = art conception, etc.). He said it was about 2 years start to finish... seems a bit quick for MGS actually.

I wonder if ole' Yu-chan has a copy of the Saturn beta somewhere in his dungeon.

19. FLEABttn

FLEABttn Guest

EDIT - Sorry FLEABttn, no ISO linking

Sorry.

20. Yakumo

Looks like someone beat me to providing the link of the Ninpo Maru Beta but as we all know, links to ISO files are not permitted here. So maybe you may want to check out my FTP :drinkers: By the way, I took a load of screen shots. You can see them here http://www.assemblergames.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=8424#8424

Yakumo